Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Monasticism Login/Join 
posted
For some time now, I've been really interested in monasticism. I could probably go on forever about it, but basically I just see a need for a deeper level of commitment to God and a greater degree of separation from the world. I'm not Catholic, so there is little chance of me getting into a monastery unless I start my own. I'm very interested in the community at Taize France because they are very ecumenical. However, they are in France, and I'm in Oregon, halfway around the world.
Basically I'm interested in seeing if others out there are currently interested in monasticism, or if I'm kind of going it alone on this one. Many times I find that if I feel strongly about something, eventually I find that God is prompting other people in that direction as well. So far this hasn't proven to be the case on monasticism, but I'm holding out some hope. So I guess my question is this: is anyone else out there interested in the monastic life and willing to talk about it?

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark.. I don't know what denominaton you are a part of but I know several people who are associates or oblates of monastic communities who are not Roman Catholic. In my tradition, Episcopalian, we have several monastic orders from Benedictine to Franciscian and itis not necessary to be Episcopalian to become connected with or to spend time at these. Personally, I have spent time at Mount St. Mary which is an order of Benedictine Sisters in NY. I know we have several orders on the west coast as well. The best way to learn about this life is to visit a community and all that I know of welcome visitors. I would be happy to try and answer questions for you or direct you to places where you could learn more.
Peace,
Wanda

Posts: 278 | Location: Pennslyvania | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Mark Robert:
[QB]For some time now, I've been really interested in monasticism. I could probably go on forever about it, but basically I just see a need for a deeper level of commitment to God and a greater degree of separation from the world.

I understand this desire, Mark. And as Wanda noted, there are various oblate options among Catholic monastic orders. The Benedictine oblates don't have to be Catholic, I don't think, as I meet with a Lutheran pastor for spiritual direction and he's a Benedictine oblate.

I might mention that it's pretty common for us to want to externalize a desire such as you're describing, and seek some kind of ideal form for its realization. Doubtlessly, monasticism grew, in part, from the desire to support and fulfill such a desire.

What I've had to do in my own life as a married man with children, jobs, household chores, etc., is to view the essence of this as a call to deeper solitude and silence--a deeper surrender and belonging to God. No matter what our state in life, we can move in this direction.

BTW, you have in Oregon an excellent resource for contemplative spirituality--namely my good friends Jim and Tyra Arraj. See their web site for more info, and keep us posted on how things go on your journey.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post