Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplative Prayer in Scripture Login/Join 
posted
Hi, I have been practicing "contemplative prayer" for about the last 18 months and truly enjoy it (most of the time!). This form of prayer has transformed my relationship with Jesus, and given it a reality to His person and presence that I had not experienced previously.

When I discuss contemplative prayer with some of my more conservative evangelical friends they ask me:

"That sounds good, but where is contemplative prayer mentioned in the Scripture... Jesus taught us the method of prayer with the Lord's Prayer... I don't see that we should be quiet when we pray..."

So my question to anyone, please offer Scriptural support for this method of prayer. I have searched the Scriptures that relate to this and have found a few, and offer them for comment:

2 Cor 3:18 "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit." [NASB]

Romans 8:6 "..the mind set on the Spirit is peace and life" [NASB]

Blessings,

Caneman

PS - about a year ago I "stumbled" across this forum and had some questions about centering prayer... your answers helped me very much, thank you (especially Phil!). Smiler

Posts: 99 | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will Matthew 6:6 (NAB)help.

...."But when you pray, go to your inner room,
close the door and pray to your Father in secret.
And your Father, who sees in secret, will repay you."

The NKJ version is worded differently.
"But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

Posts: 135 | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<HeartPrayer>
posted
Paul writes:

"Pray without ceasing."

1. Thess. 5:17

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jacques--

you read my mind! i was going to say that one!
Smiler

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great minds think alike shasha Smiler )

I have found through my practice of lectio with the psalms that many verses hint at a contemplative experience. I just couldn't find any more than the last one when I tried to go back and find them. I have found that they just kinda appear in the middle of a psalm as you are sitting and reading and you go "ah, that speaks to this experience".

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are all good verses. I know many skeptics have had a field day with "Be still and know that I am God", saying that in context within its Psalm it has nothing to do with being quiet before God in prayer.

Here is one I found not to long ago that is very intersting:

Luke 6:12 It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God.

What is interesting in this verse is that the translation "in prayer to God" is worded differently in the original language. The actual translation in English is "in prayer of God" [from the greek "EN THi PROSEUCHi TOU THEOU", I am not a greek scholar but have researched this]. This is significant because in the usual translation God is the object of Jesus's prayer, but in the actual translation "in prayer of God" Jesus is the recipient of the prayer from God.... sounds like infused contemplation to me, but who am I! Translators are scholars and don't know what "prayer of God" is so they have assumed it has to mean "prayer to God"... we need a few greek scholars that are contemplatives. Smiler

Blessings,

Caneman

Posts: 99 | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Caneman, and all, from a new member...

Surely the Passion...
"And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou [wilt]." (Matt 26:39)
... is an example of contemplative prayer, for was not Our Lord contemplating the unfolding of the Father's plan for our salvation?

Again, one can perhaps read Our Lord's discourse at the Last Supper (John 14-16) as an extended contemplation?

There are other passages I can think of, if what I have suggested does not seem too unreasonable?

Thomas

Posts: 4 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post