Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Active spiritual practice Login/Join 
posted
see http://shalomplace.com/res/spir-skills.pdf

The above is a handout I developed years ago for a workshop I presented on "Pathways to Serenity" (one of my books still sold on this site). The approach taken was an adaptation of Lonergan: to identify the activities of our human consciousness, then to try to set goals and objectives to form our consciousness unto the ways of love, open to God's grace as given through Christ. I pulled it out recently for a lecture I'm presenting on spiritual practice and find that it still holds up well.

And, yes, yes, the wording -- "Right Action," Right Desires" etc. -- was an attempt to articulate something of a Christian corollary to the Buddhist's eightfold path. Don't know if I'd do it the same way now, as anyone who comes along using the word "Right" is automatically dismissed, in certain circles (unless they're Buddhist, that is).

See what you think.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
Looks like you covered it all, Phil. Even nutrition. :-)

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intriguing cross-fertilization of ideas -- a structured program for the Christian life. I do have a book out myself now:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0980081750

It's based on my travels last year.

Posts: 140 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, nice going, Derek. I'd love to make a retreat at one of those centers. British Columbia has always struck me as a beautiful place, although cold in the winter, I'm sure.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of updating this handout (made 25 years ago), but keeping the same basic approach (Right actions, desires, etc.). What would be good to add . . . or subtract?

posted Hide Post
Hi Phil.

Thank you for your handout. You have an astonishing gift of wisdom! Really. I so much appreciate your impulse to share it with us. Christ bless you abundantly more and more each day!

As to your request for editing, I'd like to respond if I get some time soon.
-------------------------

Derek, Congratulations on your book! I'm sure it will be a benefit to many people.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post