Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for Some Serious Screen-Scraping Login/Join 
posted
Resurces made available on the web are multiplying faster than I can keep up. For instance, look at this
http://www.op.org/domcentral/s...umann/cs/default.htm and this

http://www.religion-online.org...howbook?item_id=1948

which I just stumbled across today!

pax tibi,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From JB's first link:

Mind in Nature: Scientific materialism, according to Whitehead, is a misrepresentation of the cosmos because it is based on the "fallacy of misplaced concreteness."2 This fallacy of misplaced concreteness is simply the confusion of abstractions with concrete reality. It is the tendency to take our mental constructs and imaginative models of the world, such as those of the machine, wave or particle, as though they corresponded exactly to the world itself. This is an understandable temptation since we have to simplify things in order even to begin to understand them. But we do not always heed Whitehead�s exhortation first to seek simplicity and then to mistrust it.3 We easily do the first, but tend to balk at the second. I would suggest that we fail to mistrust our over-simplifications for the same reasons that we are inclined toward the epistemology of control. Somehow and for some reason we fear giving up our sense of mastery over the universe. But we do so at great peril to our cosmology and to our general vision of things.

JB: You should write a layman's book on this stuff, even from a religious point of view if you prefer. I can grasp the general concepts just enough to know that there are ideas there that anyone could benefit from if they were simplified. I think I benefited greatly from a few layman books on quantum physics and Einstein's theories.

And there's no doubt in my mind that science is beginning to hit some sort of a wall and they will need to take some of this stuff into account, just as classical physics hit a wall and needed to take into account (to discover) quantum physics. And thanks for keeping us on the cutting edge with this stuff as you've been doing here.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Brad. Just today, I published most of the Table of Contents for my book on Natural Theology this morning at the Institute on Religion in an Age of Science [IRAS] discussion group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LDG-NET/message/3994

I've finished the first draft of the entire book and will publish most of it here, serial fashion, as I get around to it Wink

That quote came from the first Haught book I'd ever read, as a result of Phil inviting me to a lecture and lunch with Haught long ago (mid-80's?). Jack Haught will give a presentation at the IRAS Conference next month, invited by a friend of mine who is chairing same (and whose presentation I went critique this very afternoon, in a sneak preview of the presentation he'll be giving next month, too). Small cosmos! Cool

You might appreciate the threads here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/...gy_religion_culture/ where they also get the impression I'm publishing a book, at their expense, using their allocated bandwidth Wink

merci,
jb

posted Hide Post
Congrats on moving forward with the book, JB. And for the references to the books by Haught and Aumann.

Brad, my guess is that you'd really enjoy the book by Haught. He's a fun guy to read, and, as JB noted, I had him over to Baton Rouge years ago to do a lecture and workshop. Lots of depth, yet highly intelligible. Just try the first few pghs. of the Introduction a try and see what you think.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
re: Congrats on moving forward with the book, JB

I was just being tongue-in-cheek Razzer The cosmos will have to come to Shalomplace in order to imbibe my cybersecretions Big Grin