Notify
Tools

The Ways God Speaks Login/Join 
posted
I loved today's message in DAILY SPIRITUAL SEED: MESSAGE OF THE DAY

"A man was lost in a desert. Later, when describing his ordeal to
his friends, he told how, in sheer despair, he had knelt down and
cried out to God to help him.

"'And did God answer your prayer?' he was asked.

"'Oh, no! Before He could, an explorer appeared and showed me the way.'"

- Anthony de Mello, "Taking Flight"

(And the moral of the story is . . . )

I wonder how many ways God speaks to us and we miss it because we're expecting Him to speak in a different way. I thought it might be interesting to hear the ways in which we've recognized God's voice, even if it's after the fact. I guess I'll start. Many many years ago, when I was in college, I was seriously thinking of getting a guide dog. I pumped all my friends with dogs for every detail they could share about life with a dog, and when I wasn't doing that, I was daydreaming about the dog I hoped I'd have one day. One morning as I was reading Scripture, I came upon what I thought was an incredibly dull passage: Isaiah 56. I'd read all the "good" chapters in Isaiah, and now I was on chapter 56. After wading through a few verses, I finally stopped and said, "Lord, this is boring! It has nothing to do with me! It's not relevant! I want something that has to do with getting a guide dog." But resolutely I kept on reading. Then I came to verse 10: "They are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; dreaming, lying down, loving to slumber. The dogs have a mighty appetite; they never have enough." I stopped in midverse, finding it amusing to read what I was reading, and thinking it a little humorous. Deciding to talk to God about guide dogs, since that's what was on my mind, I prayed something to the effect of "Well, Lord, I've heard that German shepherds are supposed to be intelligent dogs." Imagine my surprise when I started reading again: "The shepherds also have no understanding; they have all turned to their own way, each to his own gain, one and all." I never did get a guide dog, and years later, while I still think guide dogs are wonderful, I can see that a dog is not for me with my lifestyle and circumstances. So in this humorous way (which yes, really happened), I heard God's voice. Anyone else have an experience to share?

Posts: 46 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
message deleted

Posts: 203 | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are some pretty striking examples, Peggy and uraqt.

I suppose signs and synchronicities like that seem more relevant when we're searching for the answer to some kind of question. During such times, it seems that all kinds of things and circumstances can speak to us.

I like that Daily Seed message, for it points up how God works through the creation, which includes the Scriptures, teaching of the Church, and even a dog who's glad to see us when we come home.

Of course, the catch is that not everything going on in the creation speaks "in the name of God," as there are other "spirits" at work. So one must ever be discerning, and this requires a certain ability to "know his voice," as Jesus points it. This recognition is developed most acutely in prayer and meditation, enabling us to recognize the hand of the Creator at work unto our good all through the day.

Good topic, Peggy.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Peggy!

Good topic! I agree; sometimes God does seem to have an odd sense of humor.

Several years ago I was invited to lead the devotions for a women's group at my church. I had never attended this particular group because all the women were much older than I, but the church's educational coordinator asked and I said yes.

I couldn't seem to come up with a topic, so after many false starts I got wise and gave it to God. I was reading _Mr God, This is Anna_ at the time and I believe God led me to some passages from that book, which related to Matthew 7:3 ("why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye..."). The theme of my devotional was how Christians should speak.

The night I was to lead the devotionals I arrived only a few minutes before the meeting was to begin. I sat down next to the educational coordinator, said a brief hello, then began reviewing my notes. The women were talking among themselves, but I was too focused on what I was going to say so pay much attention.

As I gave read my meditation, I noticed everyone was VERY quiet (a sure sign the audience feels strongly about what is being said). Again, I didn't think too much about it because I was focused on what I was saying.

As I drove home I started reflecting on the meeting I had just attended. Then it hit me: the women had been gossipping about a recent local tragic event, and their remarks had not been kind.

If I had paid attention to what they were saying, I might have been tempted to change the focus of my devotional (to avoid hard feelings). But I truly believe I said what God wanted me to say, because it was a message which needed to be delivered.

Pece and Love,
Bonnie

Posts: 12 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post