Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    What gives you life . . . and what doesn't?

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What gives you life . . . and what doesn't? Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted
Hi all. I've been enjoying some vacation/retreat time and did a little journaling on this theme. Life, as you know, is a real energy. It can increase or decrease in intensity and quality. When it is strong, we have more passion and a sense of identity and direction, for life seems to have a flow, for each of us.

For me, it is clear that some practices deepen and clarify this sense of life, while others bring diminishment and even exhaustion. There are implications for "right lifestyle," here, even for formulating one's "rule of life." Here are some things I've come up with. Feel free to add your two cents, of course.

Life Enhancers
    1. Silence. I almost can't seem to have too much of it, and by this I mean not being involved in conversation, or in attention to TV, radio, email, computer stuff, etc. There is great wisdom in the old monastic saying, "Don't break the silence unless you can improve on it."
    2. Solitude. Goes along with silence. Have to be careful about avoiding relationships.
    3. Sacrament. "What's that in the Bread, it's gone to my head . . . " (from "Jesus Christ, Superstar")
    4. Sleep. So many are sleep deprived. It's amazing how much better life is after a good night sleep.
    5. Prayer. My quiet hour to start the day, then Morning and Evening liturgy of the hours. Life's just no good without this.
    6. Diet. The more whole foods, the better.
    7. Sex. Certainly stirs things up nicely.
    8. Singing. Sometimes, especially what arises spontaneously within. Increasingly, I'm disinclined to listen to music, except in small doses.
    9. Sharing. Especially in marriage. Empathy is life-enhancing.
    10. Exercise. Moderate amounts. I definitely have more energy when I exercise regularly.
    11. Study, reading. In small doses, especially what happens to interest me.
    12. Teaching. Always charges me up! I am blessed with this charism.
    13. Driving. I love long drives, especially alone. Not only is there time for solitude and silence, but the scenery keeps changing.
    14. Hobbies. Everyone should have a few. Mine are birding, golfing, handyman work, photography, wine-making, cooking, gardening, and webmastering. A little bit here and there is fun.
    15. Writing. Sometimes. More when I was younger.
    16. Movies and TV. Occasional. A good movie can be a powerful meditation. Watching too late is a drain, however.

OK, in my next post, I will list life diminishers.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Life Diminishers

1. Contentious discussion. Allows negative energy of others to enter my being. We are also formed by the negative, judgmental things we think and say.
    2. Talk radio. The hosts are idiotic, liars, and peddlers of logical fallacies.
    3. Preoccupation about finances beyond what is prudent. Inflames insecurity.
    4. Junky food. I can cheat a little, but not much.
    5. Too much reading or TV too late. Violates my need for silence and stirs up the mind most unpleasantly. What we allow into the mind is formative.
    6. Too many/too long work periods. The act of concentrating in a certain manner for a long period of time skews one's energy. I need to take more breaks from the computer or I can get wiped out.
    7. Excessive sexual activity. More is not always better. Energy can be depleted.
    8. Too many spiritual direction/counseling appointments. It happens sometimes. Scheduling is a challenge.

---------

I know I am unique, here, but some of what I've listed above would seem to apply to everyone. When I think of how people eat and how much time they spend on phones, texting, radio, listening to music, surfing, watching TV/movies, etc. . . . I am deeply concerned about this.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post