Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

False self, sin and freedom Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Also some open-source software that will allow you to add a questionnaire to your website:

http://www.limesurvey.org/en/a...-limesurvey/features

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried out Quizmoz, but I didn't like the fact that it displays pop-up advertising.

I also tested out the Limesurvey demo. There's more to learn here, as the software is designed to support all kinds of different questionnaires and surveys, so there are many more parameters to set. Also you need you own server with mySQL and PHP.

Phil, you might be able to install Limesurvey here on your SP.org server. Or I have access to a server I could use. However, if I'm doing it, I would need Phil or Shasha to write:

- the introductory message at the start of the questionnaire, e.g. "This questionnaire will help you discover . . . " etc.

- the closing message that's displayed along with your score, e.g., "Your assessment is a false-self score of 88 out of a possible 110. Please visit . . . " etc.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Derek,

Wow, that is really great of you to look into this (affirming you and approving, but no flattery Wink). I didn't know such a thing existed on line. A couple of things,
I'd need Phil's OK with using his FS questions to turn into a questionnaire, moreso than I already have.

Why a questionnaire? Phil's FS questions are good as they are, but answering merely yes/no to these kinds of questions is very limiting. Using a Likert scale (e.g., 1-5 or 1-7) for each quesion yeilds much more information. Also, one can track their responses over time if they retake the test to see their developmental trajectory. Thus, this type of questionnaire may be more helpful to people who are serious about confronting their weaknesses and reflecting on their need for more of a God connection.

Also, I might be interested in developing a questionnaire to assess more directly the false self in terms of more direct Christian values and connection with God, along the lines of what Mt suggested. Perhaps something which reflects the teachings of the Christian mystics on prayer and union with God.

You mention above that you might be able to help with a server...does that cost you anything? I'd be happy to do some writing if such a project it gets to that level of development. I'm game for helping. I enjoy test construction--to some extent. Smiler

I was praying for Shalom Place this a.m.--feeling very affirming of y'all...you'll probably approve of my doing that Big Grin

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe "questionnaire" was the wrong word for me to use. The Limesurvey software allows you to construct a whole bunch of different styles of survey. Some of the styles are what they call (in their terminology) "assessments." That means you can have a scale of 1-5 or 1-7 for each question, and then get Limsesurvey to add up the scores at the end and tell the user the result.

If you want to get even more sophisticated, you can also get it to give the user a different message depending on the score. In other words, for example, you could have five different wordings to present as a closing message, and the wording presented would depend on which quintile the user's score fell into. But maybe that's too ambitious for a first experiment!

You can also offer the user the chance to print out a copy of their answers to keep for later reflection. (Actually, you can also store the results in a database, but if you do that then the user has to identify themselves, so it's not anonymous and confidential any more.)

About server packages: Once you've paid for the server space, it's yours for an entire year. So assuming you are renting the server package anyway for other purposes, the net additional cost is zero. The Limesurvey software also costs zero. The only way it could cost money is if the survey was so heavily used that you had to upgrade to a larger server package. I think that's unlikely to happen unless the questionnaire becomes an internet sensation!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
I'd need Phil's OK with using his FS questions to turn into a questionnaire

So how about it, Phil?

quote:
Originally posted by Shasha:
I might be interested in developing a questionnaire to assess more directly the false self in terms of more direct Christian values and connection with God, along the lines of what Mt suggested.

If you're willing to do the writing, I'm willing to give the software a go, though I can't guarantee that it will do exactly what you want. But I'm willing to give it a try.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hey, sounds good to me. Have at it. It'd be a nice feature to have linked to on the site, and as I'm in the "busy season" now, time for such projects is limited.

Btw, have you checked out http://www.surveymonkey.com/

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's go for it. I'll install Limesurvey on my server when I get some time.

I looked at Surveymonkey, but it appears to be a paid-for, commercial offering. Limesurvey is free.

Shasha, can you give me a paragraph to go on the page that introduces the questions, and also a paragraph to use when reporting the results to the user?

posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

Thanks so much Phil and Derek. Let's begin by moving this discussion to another thread in the "Lounge." I'll grab a cup of coffee... Wink

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post