Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truth (and St. Francis) part two Login/Join 
posted
The fourth step on the Path of Truth � to speak the truth and share it with others.

History shows what the world's reaction often is to speaking the truth. Jesus was crucified. Gandhi beaten and shot for his idea of one free India. Galileo excommunicated for saying that planets rotate around the sun. Martin Luther King shot for his dream of equal rights regardless of color. So many examples. Look at our personal lives � how many times have we come up with a good idea at work � no one is listening, right? How many times have we said what we believe is important � no one is listening, right?

One of most profound things one can say "about" truth � is that it comes with rejection. And so it was that Francis, who was a friend of truth was also a friend of rejection. He would almost delight in rejection, knowing that he must be doing God's will. He and the Brothers � in those first days � would return at the end of the day, sharing stories of being spit at, stones being thrown at them while they preached � with joy that God must be finding favor with them for their rejection.
(Pause) But Francis also knew the solution to rejection (pause) Repetition.

Francis was rejected by his own father in the town square, yet he proceeded onward with his journey � it must have hurt � when during the next winter, Francis was in a church shivering with little clothes, praying � his brother Angelo could only walk by with his friends and laugh at him, mocking him � his own brother rejecting him � Francis responded with a smile, made light of it � and proceeded onward with his journey �

When Brother Bernard went to Bologna, which would one day be a Franciscan center � he was greeted by stones � rejected �

Imbedded in each of the stories of rejection is the need for repetition � imbedded in each story of rejection is that people do begin to listen � such was the story of a young man who would become known as John the Simple. John lived 8 miles outside of Assisi � in Nottianu � he was a farmer's son � a ploughman � who spent most of the day in the fields � he heard that Francis was in a nearby church and went to see him. Seeing Francis with a broom and sweeping, John immediately endeared himself to Francis � he took the broom from Francis and finished sweeping the church � he then took Francis aside �

"I heard you in the town square � your words were like fire for me � May I enter your company?"

From then on � John the Simple imitated Francis in many more ways �

Slowly people began to listen.
The next step on the Path of Truth is the forum of discussion.
In 1209, Francis and his first twelve followers went to Rome for an audience with Pope Innocent III to get a blessing and in hopes of becoming a recognized religious order in the Church. Francis was so shabby, the Pope took him for a swine herder � irritated, Pope Innocent annoyingly exclaimed, "Go preach to your pigs!" Quite a reception for one of the great Christians to have walked among us - rejection. In defense of the Pope � there were a lot of heresies floating around Europe at that time. But his Bishop talked to the Pope on Francis' behalf. The more the Pope heard, the more he came to see the goodness in what Francis was trying to do. . Meanwhile Francis, ever the literal and obedient one, ever the repetitious one - did as asked � and preached to the pigs � When Francis returned to the Pope for the third time, covered with the dung to prove it � he was granted his wish and his Order was officially born.

Have you ever been at a meeting and you bring up what you consider to be a good idea? Everyone looks at you like you're crazy? Perhaps you look around and you know some people understand and some don't? After the meeting, maybe one person comes up and says it was a good idea? Eventually it gets implemented � not such an unusual scenario � how often we feel our ideas will be adored immediately � when that is rarely the case �

Truth moves slowly at first in crowds, but there is a turning of those who understand. John the Simple is a neat story � and the Truth that Francis shared was already being heard by others � (slowly) word had traveled to a wealthy and upstanding citizen of Assisi who literally handed out his money, named Bernard � to a local judge, Peter Catanii � to another farmer, Giles � to a helper at a leper hospital named Morico, to another gallant knight named Angelo � and to many others � becoming the first Franciscans.

Isn't it odd how much misunderstanding can be involved in speaking the truth? Imagine Jesus on the countryside, giving the great Sermon on the Mount � Blessed are the poor in spirit � from today's perspective � how could such pure and simple words cause a stir? How could "misunderstanding" be involved in such Truths?
Francis, like Jesus, avoided strange bedfellows � (pause) One of Jesus' followers � Simon Zealotes wanted a political solution to the problems of Jesus' times � but that wasn't what Jesus was about. And so it was with Francis � he had to avoid the powerful, the rich, the overly intellectual, and the heresies of his time � all in order to be clear of what his real message was � dedication to the Gospel through Poverty.

Some of the heresies of Francis' time were the Catharis, the Waldenses, the Poor Men of Lyons � the Catharis were Franciscan-like in many of their ideas � back to the Gospel � simplicity � But they also preached that marriage was bad and that bad priests should be attacked � lacking the obedience and focus on God that Francis possessed.

A key part of Francis' success in preaching was that people saw that he was a reformer, not a destructor � he wasn't trying to get even with the rich � wasn't trying to be more intellectual or holier than others � power was not his aim. With his firm commitment to his Christian ideals � many of the mixed messages soon dropped off �

When one looks at many of the political issues of our times � a key stumbling block for many groups is how to overcome the mixed messages � many of our modern movements are held back not just because of the ignorance of the crowd � but also by the mixed agendas of those pushing their ideas.

The sixth step on the Path of Truth is conflict. Just as Francis' personal experience of truth involved suffering and unlearning new ideas � the world around him was being affected by his ideas � the inner struggle was brought outward, Francis' personal victory was a microcosm of what was underway around him � what was once a lack of awareness on his part and restlessness, frustration � was now rejection by the world � what was once his own suffering was now conflict in the world around him �
The Crusades were going on and Francis � the obedient romantic � the once aspiring knight � wanted to fight the gallant fight � and became a willing participant in the religious wars. On June 24, 1219 � St. John's Day � Francis set sail for new adventures. Whether intentional or not � Francis' mission was also about discussing and exchanging ideas � Islam had grown very powerful � spiritually, politically, and militarily � Francis and Christianity � nor any group at any time � can claim a monopoly on good ideas or Truth � certainly Francis had an idea of converting the "pagans" to his beliefs � perhaps he should have heeded Brother Giles' wisdom and been more cautious. Martyrdom and conflict � even though more appealing, even to our beloved saint � are not more desirable than a life of prayer �

Imagine the absurdity � Christian and Islamic warriors � claiming God on their side � with thousands and thousands � on both sides � killed, raped, tortured � and Francis in the middle of it � his powers uplifted and inspired the Christian forces � often causing the soldiers to become friars � meanwhile, some of his followers in Morocco had a different experience � and were beheaded for sharing the Gospel in the wrong place �

At Damietta, Egypt � Francis again did the absurd � and walked across the enemy lines � while being beaten and beaten � he asked to see the Sultan, to convert him to the Gospels � once again, Francis' eloquence saved him � and he got to see the Sultan. Francis and the Sultan developed a friendship � but via a perilous course � the two exchanged verbal and moral trickery � the Sultan trying to get Francis to trample on a carpet of Crosses � Francis inviting the Sultan's priest to walk through fire � meanwhile, the Sultan, although friendlier � offered no hope to Francis for conversion � although Francis' efforts for the poor and praise of God connected with that of the Sultan's own beliefs � conversion was not to be �

Meanwhile, back home conflict was taking place within the brotherhood as well � growth of the Order meant organizational woes � different ideas existed in how to apply Francis' rules � the Pope and cardinals knew that Francis' rigor was not for the common person � with numbers of people come varying levels of commitment � with any organization comes people problems and political movements within. Francis left for the Crusades, leaving his Order in the hands of others, in the hands of God � whatever direction lay ahead �
Once again, when one looks at many of the political issues of our times � within each movement is conflict, each movement appears to be in conflict with another side � look at Jesus, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and our Francis � friendly with the other side � gallant � skillful � prayerful � having faith in the workings of God � certainly a lesson for our daily lives �

The seventh step on the Path of Truth is how truth is eventually embraced by the many. Whether we like it or not, Truth moves through crowds � in God's time and in God's ways �

Francis' part in the Crusades was not a total failure � he wasn't killed � personally, he likely went on to see the Holy Land � due to his good relations with Sultan �

Success was something Francis was familiar with � during the Chapter of the Mats in 1215 � 5000 people filled the fields around Assisi � the success of Francis' message had brought people from cental and northern Italy � from France and Spain � even greats such as St. Dominic and Cardinal Hugolin were drawn to Francis and his rule of poverty � within 10 years of Francis' conversion � his message had spread to enlighten and enliven the Church �

Upon returning from the Crusades � with a profound lesson in varying views � Francis began to open up to other approaches � although he never wanted to bend his rule, Francis could see many fathers and mothers were following his idea of helping those in poverty and living a simpler life. Many were loyal, dedicated followers. Many were his great benefactors � Count Orlando of Chuisi, the rich wife of a Roman official - Jacopa, a Roman recluse Praxedi, and Cardinal Hugolin � encouraged Francis to consider another way � Secular Franciscans � based on the truth that Francis preached � poverty and dedication to the Gospels � the Seculars enlightened and enlivened the Franciscan Order itself � and it also spread � kings such as Ferdinand of Spain � former sinners such as Margaret of Cortona � artists such as Raphael and Michelangelo, discoverers such as Columbus � 53 have gone on to be saints � and of course � the many, many un-named followers � people like each of you � embracing Francis' message each day � the simple, dedicated, obedient followers �
The last step in reaching our destination of union with God is that of Wisdom �
After his last chapter meeting in June 1224, Francis requested to go to LaVerna � the place that would be his Calvary. Being of failing health, he relied on his brothers more and more. With the changes in the brotherhood, Francis was put in a position of acceptance � if not still with a little reluctance. Thomas of Celano describes Francis as wanting to become even more focused on being Christ-like � more constant in prayer � Thomas describes Francis as if seeing a person on the road to Emmaus � familiar as Christ. One morning before sunrise � in deep prayer � Francis uttered the words "Lord allow me to better know you � to better know your passion" � A while later, on the morning of September 14, 1224 - Francis had a vision � of a seraphim � with six wings, in the image of a man nailed to a cross � Jesus � gazing at Francis � imprinting Francis with the Stigmata � the wounds of Christ �
For Francis, this was a new commitment � though physically incapable of much � Francis accepted the suffering of Jesus, becoming even more Christ-like.
In the Stigmata, I see Francis, the spiritual traveler, having reached his destination of union with God � having reached a peak where he more fully experienced the Divine Workings of God � for Francis, the master traveler, the paths of love and of truth were one � becoming more Christ-like �
Francis, full of Wisdom, fully understood Christ's call to love, to pray, to help others, and to share the good news � having followed the footsteps of Jesus � having incorporated certain truths into his life and having shared these with others � having been rejected by those close to him and having been accepted by many to become a great reformer � these ideas were burned into Francis � from a seraphim and from a lifetime of following the Path of Truth �
For all this, Francis felt blessed and accepted his suffering.

On the 46th year of his life, the 20th year of his conversion � on October 3rd, 1226 � Francis laid down � half naked, wounded, imitating Christ � his earthly life coming to an end � for Francis, ever an instrument of God's peace, ever the obedient one � it was the doing that sings.

Francis died peacefully, singing the 141st Psalm.

Francis' life had given us an answer to that question � What is Truth?

(I'm not sure what direction this effort or these ideas will take ... prayers, suggestions welcomed)

Posts: 6 | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my first post to any of these forums, and since I'm totally blind and using a screen reader, I'll be interested to see where it ends up and how. Smiler Thanks so much for your thought-provoking reflections on truth and St. Francis (one of my favorite saints). The thing that struck me as I read your post was the idea of truth and rejection. I believe this is very true, but I also believe we can be rejected for other things and think we're being rejected for speaking the truth. I'm reminded of a man I knew several years ago, who though very sincere, was quite overbearing, which drove people away from both him and what he was sharing. He was delighted, believing he was being persecuted for being such a close follower of Jesus. So I think it might be interesting to reflect on ways to decern whether we're being rejected because the truth we're sharing is a hard truth to hear, or whether it's because we're being overbearing and obnoxious in the way we share it. I think some of us, afraid of the latter, might be reluctant to share the truth we could and should be sharing. Any thoughts, anyone?

Posts: 46 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the reflection on truth and rejection interesting as well. I think sometimes it is more important to model truth than to speak it and much more difficult. Perhaps it is our actions - our lives that gives our words credibility. If we try to force our ways upon others we will meet with resistance and perhaps that is what it was perceived that your friend was doing. St. Francis was rejected for who he was more than for what he did and perhaps this is the key. The thing was if I understand him correctly, St. Francis did not demand that others view his words as truth but simply that they investigate the possibility. Another thought comes to mind here - your friend seems to possibly have courted this rejection where St. Francis simply accepted it. I don't know... anyhow thanks for giving me something to ponder.

Posts: 278 | Location: Pennslyvania | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it seems to me that many of us are searching for truth ... we read instruction books, get caught up in methods like Eastern prayer, centering prayer, we like "how do" books ... we are searching for ideas to use to live life better or "wiser". We fail because we don't fully incorporate these good ideas (Christian ideas especially) Francis incorporated his Christian ideas and benefitted tremendously. We like the old and classical ... why not take a classical view of truth. Aquinas and many others talk about ideas ... what ideas do we build our life on? "important to own a Lexus" or "listening to others is important"

the path of love is rightfully attractive ... but to incorporate the idea of "its important to forgive" one must understand the path of truth. When one forgives with a sense of love and compassion ... one grows in wisdom and becomes much closer to God.

what do you think? more examples (please!)

posted Hide Post
I am really enjoying our discussion. Please understand that these are simply random thoughts. I do not profess to understand either the mystery of truth or of love. I too am seeking and I have a pretty good idea that I will never discover the answers on this side anyhow. Love and truth... Can real love be possible without truth? I am not talking about the sentimentality that we so often think of as love but the total acceptance/celebration of another person as he/she is - simply because he/she is. There is no real need for forgiveness here because forgiveness is already a part of this acceptance. Love confers recognition of a total equality that is perhaps beyond our capabilities or at least mine most of the time. It means living with the recognition and acceptance that none but God are above or below... none better or none worse. This love - this acceptance resounds throughout the life of St. FRancis. If he was rejected he did not judge or refute but simply accepted it and accepted those who rejected him. While others rejected Francis' ideas and lifestyle, he also rejected that of others - he rejected others in love; not allowing them to force him to conform to his way nor insisting that they conform to his. He reached out in love to all those around him I think because he placed the same value on all others as he placed on himself. Is this not loving your neighbor as yourself? Comments?

Posts: 278 | Location: Pennslyvania | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a few various thoughts on the postings thus far ... rejection and truth are connected ... all of us resist doing what we know to be right at times ... it is common for good ideas to be rejected ... and it is common for good people to be scorned ... "what is your hatred but proof I speak the truth (Socrates)

When I try to look at the truths I base my life on ... I see a lot of mediocrity ...

"God is important to me" (then why don't I pray more often?)

"Love my neighbor" (I dislike others at work and am slow to forgive)

"Be generous to others" (I like my possessions and often give after I spend what I need)

"Basketball is important to me" (I don't play enough ... but I run)

"My kids are important to me" (I do pretty good in this area)

"Its important to save for the future, like college" (I was until two weeks ago!)

My wife is important to me ... so I will compromise (she may not be aware of this!)

"talking too much and getting angry is ineffective" (well ...)

I once tried to list out "my truths" ... look at what ideas you have built your life on ... are they solid? do they need more experimentation? (try "running" instead of basketball)

what is the latest "how to" book you've read ... what ideas have you incorporated successfully?

please share!

posted Hide Post
Hi Seek,

I think you're doing a good job pointing up the need to live out the truth that we claim. Questions such as you ask in your post above need to be kept before one's eyes or else it becomes too easy to fall into complacency and just drift along.

Of course, the difficult part for many is to first claim what are the values and principles they want to live by--not because they "should," but because they "choose" them or even "feel chosen" by them.

Even having done so, however, living them out perfectly day by day is just not possible, I find. Therefore, I feel consoled by the Twelve Step slogan which emphasizes that it is "progress, not perfection" that is important. Smiler

Glad to see you decided to share your reflections on Francis and truth in this forum.

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Phil hit on what may be the most important point ... many of us who look to a church or spirituality ... blindly follow the prescribed methods. There is a lot of wisdom in that. But, what I see people like Francis or Gandhi doing is experimenting. Try forgiving someone and observe the results like a scientist. It is wonderous. To forgive is not a law because Jesus said so or it was written in a book ... it is how we are created (by God) ... we can discover a truth like that just like we can do experiments with electricity or physics. My experience is that when I do these spiritual experiments, I see more and coincidences increase (Holy Spirit!)

I'm eager to hear others' "experiments or lesons in spirituality.

posted Hide Post
Hi... liked your list a lot.... said a lot too about me anyhow and to me. How often we do the things we want to do rather than the things we think we should. We are so quick to list all of the things we love to do that we know we should love to do but do the things we want to do. We try to create ourselves into something we are not. Like running and basketball... you say you love basketball but you spend your time running.... which do you love - what you say you love or what you show you love. For myself I say I love walking in the woods and when I am doing it I do love walking in the woods but I seldom actually do it... Good intentions really don't count do they? The thing I keep coming back to is St. Augustine's words - "Love God and do what you want." I think maybe he was trying to tell us that we should come to God as who we are instead of who we or others think we should be, which goes back to your prescribed methods. God loves us as we are - not as who we/others think we should be. He accepts us as the misformed hunks of clay we are and if we let him transforms us into magnificent works of art... that is the power of love. It seems strange and yet not strange but the further I go the more my lifestyle has changed... my diet was awful - I was a bit of a couch potato - my mind was stagnating but now I actually eat much healthier - even love salads, watch little tv and read and write and take classes and am so much happier and feel so much better. Things that had importance like new clothes and cars have little importance now. I am doing more of what I enjoy and less what society says I should enjoy, not because I should but because I want to. I seem to have more patience, get angry a lot less, and am more tolerant of others. The thing is none of this was a conscious effort - it is simply happening and I love it! Somehow God seems to be making me want to do what I should... amazing! Wanda