New
Find
Notify
Tools

More thoughts on nondual consciousness Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thing is, there isn't really an individual self to possess free will. The appearance of a separate self is an illusion created in the mind.

Who said that? Wink

(Check out my post above, if you haven't, Derek. I think that "Way of Awareness" validates a lot of what's being described as "nondual consciousness."

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
The deeper we go, the closer we come to that Ground of Being where we receive our life and existence from God.

Well, here we come to that useful distinction that JB draws between the phenomenological and the ontological. My view now is that all that's happening here is that we're regaining access to developmentally anterior layers of consciousness, unclouded by symbolic thinking.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, agreed. That's what I mean by the deepening of our experience of non-reflecting consciousness. As Wilber notes in his discussions of what he calls the pre/trans fallacy (no, I don't think he's wrong about everything), we come to a place similar to childhood's pre-reflective consciousness, only we do so as adults who now have access to intellect, will, and a lifetime of experiences and wisdom stored in our memories.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video version of Francis's interview is now uploaded to Youtube:

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, Derek. It's quite long, and I didn't listen to all of it, but jumped around to get a sense of the experience he's describing.

We learn from the introduction that, in addition to practicing the classical Christian disciplines of a monk, he was also an ardent practitioner of zen and vipassana, both of which are disciplines that enable one to tune into and deepen access to one's own non-reflecting attentiveness. In fact, pretty much everything I heard him share could be interpreted as human non-reflecting awareness. Allusions to the awareness that just "is" and is "always present," even in sleep (though it is present to "nothing" at such time) need not be understood as a kind of experience of God. There can even be a buoyancy and bliss in this state, as we're not egoically projecting or expectations, but a simple acceptance of reality just as it is. It's likely that God is immanent in such states (as God is present everywhere), or even that the state itself becomes a means of divine manifestation, but I did not pick this up from what Fr. Bennett shared. Granted, I might not have listened to those parts, and maybe you can point me to a part of the presentation where he tries to relate his experience to divine presence.

posted Hide Post
Hi, Phil, I also only made it to the 90' mark! I think 135' minutes is too long for an interview. BTW Francis was a Trappist brother, not a priest.

I still stumble over this term "non-reflecting attentiveness." Remind me -- does it mean consciousness without the presence of verbal thinking?

I agree with you when you write:

quote:
Allusions to the awareness that just "is" and is "always present," even in sleep (though it is present to "nothing" at such time) need not be understood as a kind of experience of God.

In fact, putting the label "God" on this form of consciousness creates more problems than it resolves.

Again I come back to JB's distinction between experience and ontology. One may experience a timeless, omnipresent, undifferentiated form of consciousness. That doesn't entitle one to draw ontological conclusions.

http://www.scribd.com/johnboy_philothea
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the interview and experienced both the interviewer, Rick, and interviewee, Francis, as down to earth, delightful persons. Francis did briefly interpret some elements of the Creed in a manner that was either pantheistic or that reflected an insufficiently nuanced panentheism; not much time was devoted to that, so ambiguity remains. Likely, Francis is still processing his "shift" in an effort to better integrate it religiously and theologically; such integration is more often a journey than it is a destination. Both Francis and Rick were very affirming of devotional pathways, an aspect of spirituality that I consider normative for any truly holistic and fully integral approach to ultimate reality. They both drew distinctions between our experiences of the relative and of the Absolute, which seemed consistent with other such distinctions as, for example, the experience of the empirical self and the no-self. And neither put an undue emphasis on the experience of the Absolute such that they denied our common sense, practical engagement of reality, as some do, for example, with their idiosyncratic use of personal pronouns, which can get quite absurd.

I will follow this post with a mapping exercise, which will introduce some categories that I find helpful in inter-faith dialogue.

Posts: 178 | Location: http://www.scribd.com/johnboy_philothea | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, we have a thread going on non-reflecting attention.
- https://shalomplace.org/eve/for...72410135/m/241106781
You had some good contributions to it.

My main point, here, is that if we can account for an experience in terms of the potential of our human consciousness, we should not attribute it to any special mystical grace. When one's center of presence shifts from the Egoic center to the more spacious Self in its non-reflecting (i.e., witnessing) aspect, it can seem as though some whole new mystical experience is being realized. It may well be that contemplative graces are involved, but we need not speak of God when noting that awareness is always "there," even in sleep, that we have a new, direct experience of ourselves and creation, that the self we thought we were in an earlier construct of Ego now seems to be an illusion, and so forth.

I started a separate thread on three spiritual superhighways here and shared, in the second post, something of a philosophical meditation I composed way back in 1988 (geez, that's 24 years ago!), when I experienced a similar shift in my center of presence. In pt. 2 I state:
quote:

2. What is awareness?
Who knows!
Perhaps it is . . .
the light of the soul.
God.
the True Self.
Who knows!
What awareness is cannot be defined.
That awareness is cannot be denied.

So, now, 24 years later, I think this is still pretty good in that there is surely mystery about it. I am inclined to consider it to be the non-reflecting spiritual consciousness of the soul . . . the True Self. I do believe the divine is present, though in a hidden way, and that the divine does not usually violate the constraints of our own human consciousness with His own transcendent perspective.

At this point in my life, this non-reflecting awareness has become the mainstay of my everyday experience. It's nothing I feel compelled to speak of as when it first (quite suddenly) broke through in the 1980s sometime. In 1996, I wrote of that early breakthrough experience and my understanding of it in relation to Christian contemplative spirituality.
- http://shalomplace.com/res/xianenli.html
The Catholic spiritual writer, William Johnston, S.J., was presenting a retreat at the Spiritual Life Center, where I worked at the time, and we had him over for supper at my home and a great discussion about this topic. Johnston, who has written on Christian Zen and other more traditional spiritual themes, was most validating and affirming of this approach, in that he himself knew this experience.

What I would say now is that this experience is a great good in and of itself. In terms of Christian spirituality, it seems to be a consequence of contemplative prayer, where we encounter God apophatically, beyond all symbols, images, etc., and, hence, awaken to something of an apophatic dimension of our own human consciousness -- one that has always been there all along.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Derek, we have a thread going on non-reflecting attention. You had some good contributions to it.

Ok, so maybe at one point I knew what "non-reflecting attention" meant!

quote:
My main point, here, is that if we can account for an experience in terms of the potential of our human consciousness, we should not attribute it to any special mystical grace.

Definitely.

quote:
When one's center of presence shifts from the Egoic center to the more spacious Self in its non-reflecting (i.e., witnessing) aspect, it can seem as though some whole new mystical experience is being realized.

It's when I see "Self" with a capital "S" that alarm bells go off. This is when the line has been crossed from describing a state of consciousness to making metaphysical assertions.

posted Hide Post
Here are some categories that I use as conceptual placeholders, nothing tightly systematic, just a loose heuristic to help keep useful distinctions in mind.

There are a lot of implicit presuppositions that we bring to the inter-faith table in dialogue, which can have us talking past one another without our knowing it. So, I like to be on the lookout for how it is others are approaching an issue from the following angles: 1) anthropology , our view of humanity; Phil's tripartite superhighways approach comprises a rather classic approach to what it is that we each bring to reality, for example, intellect, will and awareness 2) methodology or epistemology , or what it is that we find ourselves doing with that intellect, will and awareness in our approach to reality; I suggest that we describe, evaluate, norm, interpret and participate with reality, which is just another way of describing Lonergan's and others' hermeneutical spirals 3) axiology or the ends to which we aspire, such as truth, beauty, goodness and unity, the ends toward which we strive with our methodologies 4) phenomenal experience , or the manifold and multiform impacts reality has on our internal milieu, which is distinct from 5) phenomenology or metaphysics or ontology , which attempt to account for reality, phenomenology employing vague, more or less, common sense terms, and metaphysics aspiring, speculatively, to more robust descriptions using root metaphors like being, substance, process, experience and so on to describe our internal and external milieus and 6) our theological responses , their performative significance moreso than their speculative content .

Our theological responses then include such things as a) theological anthropology , who is this created-co-creator, wo/man, vis a vis ultimate reality? b) paterology , who is this creator, God? c) christology , who is this anointed one, Christ? d) pneumatology , who is this Spirit? e) apophatic theology , pointing to the very ground of being ? increasing our descriptive accuracy via negation? f) soteriology , why are we so needy and how are we made whole, justification ? g) sophiology , how are we made holy? what return shall we make? sanctification ? h) eschatology , where's all of this finally headed? glorification ? i) ecclesiology , how are we made a people of God?

Further explicating item 5, phenomenology, I have introduced four categories, which pretty much correspond to classical categories of our encounter of world, self, other/God and ultimacies: a) intra-objective identity of unitary being b) inter-subjective intimacy of our unitive strivings c) intra-subjective integrity of one's unified self and d) inter-objective indeterminacy of an ultimate unicity .

When all of this is taken together, we can describe what's going on in terms of witnessing revelation, both in terms of general and special revelation. To wit, below are 5 examples of each, respectively:

General Revelation: 1) descriptive sciences 2) evaluative cultures 3) normative philosophies 4) interpretive spiritualities (via a ubiquitous pneumatological imagination , although variously developed) 5) participative imaginations , all of these engagements methodologically-autonomous but axiologically-integral , meaning each probes reality with distinct questions but none, alone, are sufficient, all being necessary, for human value-realizations. The undue emphases then manifest as various scientisms, relativisms, rationalisms, spiritualisms and gnosticisms and so on.

Special Revelation: 1) sacred scriptures 2) religious traditions 3) ecclesial magisteria 4) theological interpretations 5) ecclesial participations ( sensus fidelium ), again integrally-related, each presupposing the others. The undue emphases then manifest as sola scriptura, fideism, traditionalism, hierarchicalism, super-rationalism, radical apophaticism and individualism and so on.

Optimally, for any given engagement of reality, none of these witnesses should be ignored, none over- or under-emphasized, all duly emphasized, though each may enjoy a certain primacy vis a vis the particular value-realization in play, but methodological primacy does not imply axiological autonomy.

Here's the url for the jpg that I am not successfully embedding: http://johnboy.philothea.net/2...0to%20revelation.jpg

Posts: 178 | Location: http://www.scribd.com/johnboy_philothea | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Derek, self with small "s" is fine with me, though that's so often conflated with Ego that I generally capitalize it to make the distinction.

posted Hide Post
With those distinctions in mind, as introduced in my last post, one caveat that seems to enjoy a consensus view, at least, so far in this thread, is the distinction between one's phenomenal experience and any ontological conclusions. Let me suggest, however, another distinction, which is that between an ontological conclusion and an ontological implication. I don't think we want to suggest that our phenomenal experiences do not have ontological implications but I do think we go too far, saying way more than we could possibly know, proving way too much, if we then try to articulate those implications in robustly descriptive metaphysical terms rather than vaguely suggestive phenomenological categories. Also, engaging other witnesses to revelation, there are certainly no ontological or metaphysical implications that come from our phenomenal experiences during meditation that we do not also have some access to through philosophical reflection, scientific investigation and so on. There is no privileged gnosis. THAT reality suggests both ontological continuity and discontinuity, autonomy and quasi-autonomy, some clear inter-relatedness even, beyond the merely analogical, even with God, seems to be a universal intuition but attempts to suggest just HOW this might be so should be more modest and tentative with an epistemic humility proper to the highly complex ontological realities we propose to model.

It often seems to me that enlightenment experiences often engender - not only truly holy end-products , like compassion & deep consolations as well as some very practically efficacious by-products, like angst-free existential outlooks, but also - some metaphysical waste-products , like certain philosophy of mind positions. The leap from a phenomenal experience of unitary being to a metaphysical description of consciousness, itself, is nothing short of fantastic (etymology = fantasy). It is as if, alongside space, time, mass and energy, a new primitive is given, consciousness, when all the empirical evidence suggests that consciousness clearly emerged from those realities and not vice versa. It is as if, after finally exorcising the ghost from inside the dualistic Cartesian machine and realizing that there are no homunculi taking up residence in each human mind, some have posited a singular absolute homunculus , Who, as the One, gazes out of its own manifesting plurality of the Many at reality, often curiously forgetting Who s/he is and therefore grounding all things soteriological in anamnesis (not forgetting or remembering or ridding oneself of delusion and illusion). Now, this account would amount to a harsh caricature of Eastern approaches writ large if I did not clarify that it is not usually the East that thus interprets nondual realizations metaphysically (although some religious cohorts have) but, instead, it has been westerners, who have misapplied such metaphysical lenses to practices, which are intended to lead one into an experience and not toward ontological conclusions.

But allow me to set all of that aside to turn our attention to another angle, which is that distinction between the phenomenal experience (including as well as our anthropological and psychological accounts) and what those experiences can sometimes mean spiritually as they might correlate with various types of consolation, which would indeed comprise part of the soteriological, healing trajectory of our primary encounters, variously, with God 1) as creativity, Father, 2) as contingency, Son, 3) as relational, Spirit, all determinate (via paterology, christology & pneumatology) and 4) as ground, Indeterminate Being-Itself, Ultimate & Uncreated. Consider, then, these Ignatian accounts of consolation : http://www.theway.org.uk/Back/s104McGuinness.pdf and also http://povcrystal.blogspot.com...thout-cause.html?m=1. What I am tossing out for consideration is that I would not cursorily dismiss the possibility of authentic consolations flowing through certain of these experiences and I would not facilely categorize them as necessarily ensuing with or without preceding causes (or even some combination thereof), as this requires careful and individual, not categorical, discernment. Such consolations do not gift one with speculative gnosis, metaphysically or theologically, but do gift us with self-authenticating en-courage-ment, no more and no less real, perhaps, because it's more vs less mediated, but the gift of a sovereign God, Who equips us each with all that is required for us to take our next good step on the journey, moving more swiftly and with less hindrance as She so decrees.

posted Hide Post
http://bigfatgenius.com/3340/A...Wont%20Go%20Away.pdf

We can describe biological, neurological and psychological aspects of phenomenal experience, but these reductive accounts are distinct from our interpretations of those experiences, for example, whether as correlates or as causes of this or that religious experience. It is one thing, then, to suggest that, no, it is not God's awareness per se that is sensing, abstracting, reasoning and judging reality in each discrete human consciousness, quite another to a priori rule out an encounter of God's immanent presence, whether mediated through philosophical contemplation, conceptually, or less mediated through non-reflective awareness without concepts. We need neither a super/natural distinction nor a nature/grace distinction to affirm the Spirit's activity in all creation, nor do we need the suspension of so-called natural laws for divine interventions, because those laws are probabilistic and not metaphysically necessary, allowing great latitude for all sorts of anomalies and extraordinary phenomena. Such distinctions may be applied, if that's anyone's theological shtick.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil: My main point, here, is that if we can account for an experience in terms of the potential of our human consciousness, we should not attribute it to any special mystical grace. When one's center of presence shifts from the Egoic center to the more spacious Self in its non-reflecting (i.e., witnessing) aspect, it can seem as though some whole new mystical experience is being realized. It may well be that contemplative graces are involved, but we need not speak of God when noting that awareness is always "there," even in sleep, that we have a new, direct experience of ourselves and creation, that the self we thought we were in an earlier construct of Ego now seems to be an illusion, and so forth.

My post, immediately above this, in my view, is wholly consonant with what Phil said above.

Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
JB, your jpeg imbedded just fine. I placed a restriction in the forum preferences on image display size, as we were getting some that were so large as to mess with the text display. I guess I could open that up a little more. Smiler

That's quite an overview you present in your table. The distinction you draw between "general revelation" and "special revelation" is still important, I believe, and I like the way you've set that forth.

This stuff was great:
quote:
It often seems to me that enlightenment experiences often engender - not only truly holy end-products , like compassion & deep consolations as well as some very practically efficacious by-products, like angst-free existential outlooks, but also - some metaphysical waste-products, like certain philosophy of mind positions. The leap from a phenomenal experience of unitary being to a metaphysical description of consciousness, itself, is nothing short of fantastic (etymology = fantasy). It is as if, alongside space, time, mass and energy, a new primitive is given, consciousness, when all the empirical evidence suggests that consciousness clearly emerged from those realities and not vice versa. It is as if, after finally exorcising the ghost from inside the dualistic Cartesian machine and realizing that there are no homunculi taking up residence in each human mind, some have posited a singular absolute homunculus, Who, as the One, gazes out of its own manifesting plurality of the Many at reality, often curiously forgetting Who s/he is and therefore grounding all things soteriological in anamnesis (not forgetting or remembering or ridding oneself of delusion and illusion).

As you then go on to note, it's usually Westerners who promote such an explanation of enlightenment like experiences. Years ago, in a discussion of Deepak Chopra and some of his Hinduish teachings, I noted something similar.:
quote:
Missing from Chopra, too, is an accounting for the existence of evil. Like other Easterners, he speaks often of attachments, mistaken identity, illusions, etc. All fine and well, nevertheless one must ask why ultimate intelligence extending itself into the universe has become so confused about its identity, and why it has attached itself to its own projections? This is always the undoing of monism, imo; I don't think the contradiction here can be overcome with even the most clever of sophistries. And even if one were to succeed, one would still be left wondering why we should have any confidence that such an intelligence -- which so badly confused itself in the first place -- can extricate itself from its confusion using even Dr. Chopra's books for guidance. How liberating would it really be, after all is said and done, to detach from one's delusions, only to realize that the "field" was the confused agent to begin with?

None of this occurs to Chopra, however, or if it does, he's not much bothered by it. No doubt, he would sneer at the Judeo-Christian doctrine of creation as (ontological) "dualism" (which it is, and happily so). Yet only such "dualism" adequately establishes creation as "real being" with God as its Creator, the One to Whom we are to give an accounting for our lives, and the One who is all-good and not confused about anything. And only Christianity adequately accounts for how creatures come to share in the divine nature itself without resorting to monism, but through Christ's incarnation, death, resurrection and the gift of the Spirit. Yes, that "dead white male in the sky" Roll Eyes is the One who makes that possible, and who even graces the good that Chopra does.

- https://shalomplace.org/eve/for...?r=92110485#92110485

quote:
We need neither a super/natural distinction nor a nature/grace distinction to affirm the Spirit's activity in all creation, nor do we need the suspension of so-called natural laws for divine interventions, because those laws are probabilistic and not metaphysically necessary, allowing great latitude for all sorts of anomalies and extraordinary phenomena. Such distinctions may be applied, if that's anyone's theological shtick.

Yes indeed! And by the fruits of the Spirit shall we know if the Spirit is working in the mix of things.

posted Hide Post
Check out this dialogue, which is what I had in mind as I critiqued those who extrapolate from enlightenment experiences to philosophy of mind metaphysics:

quote:
PATHWAYS: Why does Spirit bother to manifest at all, especially when that manifestation is necessarily painful and requires that It become amnesiac to Its true identity It become amnesiac to Its true identity? Why does God incarnate?

Ken Wilber: Oh, I see you’re starting with the easy questions. Well, I’ll give you a few theoretical answers that have been offered over the years, and then I’ll give you my personal experience, such as it is.

I have actually asked this same question of several spiritual teachers, and one of them gave a quick, classic answer: “It’s no fun having dinner alone.”

That’s sort of flip or flippant, I suppose, but the more you think about it, the more it starts to make sense. What if, just for the fun of it, we pretend—you and I blasphemously pretend, just for a moment—that we are Spirit, that Tat Tvam Asi? Why would you, if you were God Almighty, why would you manifest a world? A world that, as you say, is necessarily one of separation and turmoil and pain? Why would you, as the One, ever give rise to the Many?

PATHWAYS: It’s no fun having dinner alone?

KW: Doesn’t that start to make sense? Here you are, the One and Only, the Alone and the Infinite. What are you going to do next? You bathe in your own glory for all eternity, you bask in your own delight for ages upon ages, and then what? Sooner or later, you might decide that it would be fun—just fun— to pretend that you were not you . I mean, what else are you going to do? What else can you do?

PATHWAYS: Manifest a world.

KW: Don’t you think? But then it starts to get interesting. When I was a child, I used to try to play checkers with myself. You ever tried that?

PATHWAYS: Yes, I remember doing something like that.

KW: Does it work?

PATHWAYS: Not exactly, because I always knew what my “opponent’s” move was going to be. I was playing both sides, so I couldn’t “surprise” myself. I always knew what I was going to do on both sides, so it wasn’t much of a game. You need somebody “else” to play the game.

KW: Yes, exactly, that’s the problem. You need an “other”. So if you are the only Being in all existence, and you want to play—you want to play any sort of game— you have to take the role of the other, and then forget that you are playing both sides . Otherwise the game is no fun, as you say. You have to pretend you are the other player with such conviction that you forget that you are playing all the roles. If you don’t forget, then you got no game, it’s just no fun.

PATHWAYS: So if you want to play—I think the Eastern term is lila—then you have to forget who you are. Amnesis.

KW: Yes, I think so. And that is exactly the core of the answer given by the mystics the world over. If you are the One, and—out of sheer exuberance, plenitude, superabundance—you want to play, to rejoice, to have fun, then you must first, manifest the Many, and then second, forget it is you who are the Many. Otherwise, no game. Manifestation, incarnation, is the great Game of the One playing at being the Many, for the sheer sport and fun of it.

PATHWAYS: But it’s not always fun.

KW: Well, yes and no. The manifest world is a world of opposites—of pleasure versus pain, up versus down, good versus evil, subject versus object, light versus shadow. But if you are going to play the great cosmic Game, that is what you yourself set into motion. How else can you do it? If there are no parts and no players and no suffering and no Many, then you simply remain as the One and Only, Alone and Aloof. But it’s no fun having dinner alone.

PATHWAYS: So to start the game of manifestation is to start the world of suffering.

KW: It starts to look like that, doesn’t it? And the mystics seem to agree. But there is a way out of that suffering, a way to be free of the opposites, and that involves the overwhelming and direct realization that Spirit is not good versus evil, or pleasure versus pain, or light versus dark, or life versus death, or whole versus part, or holistic versus analytic. Spirit is the great Player that gives rise to all those opposites equally—“I the Lord make the Light to fall on the good and the bad alike; I the Lord do all these things” [MM note: I think Wilber is conflating Isaiah 45:7 with Matthew 5:43-48 - but his point still stands.] —and the mystics the world over agree. Spirit is not the good half of the opposites, but the ground of all the opposites, and our “salvation,” as it were, is not to find the good half of the dualism but to find the Source of both halves of the dualism, for that is what we are in truth. We are both sides in the great Game of Life, because we—you and I, in the deepest recesses of our very Self—have created both of these opposites in order to have a grand game of cosmic checkers.

That, anyway, is the “theoretical” answer that the mystics almost always give. “Nonduality” means, as the Upanishads put it, “to be freed of the pairs.” That is, the great liberation consists in being freed of the pairs of opposites, freed of duality—and finding instead the nondual One Taste that gives rise to both. This is liberation because we cease the impossible, painful dream of spending our entire lives trying to find an up without a down, an inside without an outside, a good without an evil, a pleasure without its inevitable pain.

PATHWAYS: You said that you had a more personal response as well.

KW: Yes, such as it is. When I first experienced, however haltingly, nirvikalpa samadhi—which means meditative absorption in the formless One—I remember having the vague feeling—very subtle, very faint—that I didn’t want to be alone in this wonderful expanse. I remember feeling, very diffusely but very insistently, that I wanted to share this with somebody. So what would one do in that state of loneliness?

PATHWAYS: Manifest a world.

KW: That’s how it seems to me. And I knew, however amateurishly, that if I came out of that formless Oneness and recognized the world of the Many, that I would then suffer, because the Many always hurt each other, as well as help each other. And you know what? I was glad to surrender the peace of the One even though it meant the pain of the Many. Now this is just a little tongue taste of what the great mystics have seen, but my limited experience seems to conform to their great pronouncement: You are the One freely giving rise to the Many—to pain and pleasure and all the opposites—because you choose not to abide as the exquisite loneliness of Infinity, and because you don’t want to have dinner alone.

PATHWAYS: And the pain that is involved?

KW: Is freely chosen as part of the necessary Game of Life. You cannot have a manifest world without all the opposites of pleasure and pain. And to get rid of the pain—the sin, the suffering, the dukkha—you must remember who and what you really are. This remembrance, this recollection, this anamnesis—”Do this in Remembrance of Me”—means, “Do this in Remembrance of the Self that You Are”—Tat Tvam Asi. The great mystical religions the world over consist of a series of profound practices to quiet the small self that we pretend we are—which causes the pain and suffering that you feel—and awaken as the Great Self that is our own true ground and goal and destiny—”Let this consciousness be in you which was in Christ Jesus.”

PATHWAYS: Is this realization an all-or-nothing affair?

KW: Not usually. It’s often a series of glimpses of One Taste—glimpses of the fact that you are one with absolutely all manifestation, in its good and bad aspects, in all its frost and fever, its wonder and its pain. You are the Kosmos, literally. But you tend to understand this ultimate fact in increasing glimpses of the infinity that you are, and you realize exactly why you started this wonderful, horrible Game of Life. But it is absolutely not a cruel Game, not ultimately, because you, and you alone, instigated this Drama, this Lila, this Kenosis.

PATHWAYS: But what about the notion that these experiences of “One Taste” or “Kosmic Consciousness” are just a by-product of meditation, and therefore aren’t “really real”?

KW: Well, that can be said of any type of knowledge that depends on an instrument. “Kosmic Consciousness” often depends on the instrument of meditation. So what? Seeing the nucleus of a cell depends on a microscope. Do we then say that the cell nucleus isn’t real because it’s only a by-product of the microscope? Do we say that the moons of Jupiter aren’t real because they depend on a telescope? The people who raise this objection are almost always people who don’t want to look through the instrument of meditation, just as the Churchmen refused to look through Galileo’s telescope and thus acknowledge the moons of Jupiter. Let them live with their refusal. But let us—to the best of our ability, and hopefully driven by the best of charity or compassion—try to convince them to look, just once, and see for themselves. Not coerce them, just invite them. I suspect a different world might open for them, a world that has been abundantly verified by all who look through the telescope, and microscope, of meditation.

PATHWAYS: Could you tell us….

KW: If I could interrupt, do you mind if I give you one of my favorite quotes from Aldous Huxley?

PATHWAYS: Please.

KW: This is from After Many a Summer Dies the Swan:

“I like the words I use to bear some relation to facts. That’s why I’m interested in eternity—psychological eternity. Because it’s a fact.”

“For you, perhaps,” said Jeremy.

“For anyone who chooses to fulfill the conditions under which it can be experienced.”

“And why should anyone wish to fulfill them?”

“Why should anyone choose to go to Athens to see the Parthenon? Because it’s worth the bother. And the same is true of eternity. The experience of timeless good is worth all the trouble it involved.”

“Timeless good,” Jeremy repeated with distaste. “I don’t know what the words mean.”

“Why should you?” said Mr. Propter. “You’ve never bought your ticket for Athens.”

PATHWAYS: So contemplation is the ticket to Athens?

KW: Don’t you think?

PATHWAYS: Definitely. I wonder, could you tell us a little bit about your own ticket to Athens? Could you tell us a little about the history of your own experiences with meditation? And what is “integral practice” and what does it offer the modern spiritual seeker?

KW: Well, as for my own history, I’m not sure I can say anything meaningful in a short space. I’ve been meditating for twenty-five years, and I suspect my experiences are not terribly different from many who have tread a similar path. But I will try to say a few things about “integral practice,” because I suspect it might be the wave of the future. The idea is fairly simple, and Tony Schwartz, author of What Really Matters: Searching for Wisdom in America, summarized it as the attempt to “marry Freud and Buddha.” But that really just means, the attempt to integrate the contributions of Western “depth psychology” with the great wisdom traditions of “height psychology”—the attempt to integrate id and Spirit, shadow and God, libido and Brahman, instinct and Goddess, lower and higher—whatever terms you wish, the idea is clear enough, I suspect.

PATHWAYS: As an actual practice?

KW: Yes, the actual practice is based on something like this: Given the Great Nest of Being—ranging from matter to body to mind to soul to spirit—how can we acknowledge, honor, and exercise all of those levels in our own being? And if we do so—if we engage all of the levels of our own potential—won’t that better help us to remember the Source of the Great Game of Life, which is not other than our own deepest Self? If Spirit is the Ground and Goal of all these levels, and if we are Spirit in truth, won’t the whole-hearted engagement of all these levels help us remember who and what we really are?

Well, that is the theory, which I realize I have put in rather dry terms. The idea, concretely, is this: Take a practice (or practices) from each of those levels, and engage whole-heartedly in all of those practices. For the physical level, you might include physical yoga, weightlifting, vitamins, nutrition, jogging, etc. For the emotional/body level, you might try tantric sexuality, therapy that helps you contact the feeling side of your being, bioenergetics, t’ai chi, etc. For the mental level, cognitive therapy, narrative therapy, talking therapy, psychodynamic therapy, etc. For the soul level, contemplative meditation, deity yoga, subtle contemplation, centering prayer, and so on. And for the spirit level, the more nondual practices, such as Zen, Dzogchen, Advaita Vedanta, Kashmir Shaivism, formless Christian mysticism, and so forth.

What you have, then, are existential assurances that all may, can, will and shall be well, an en-courage-ment that self-authenticates and consoles. It is followed, however, by a faulty theodicy, which tries to banish the mystery of suffering by attaching predicates to God. Christians have their own faulty theodicies, which try to account for this experience of ontological rupture, which afflicts us all. The common thread, then, is that the rupture is repaired via at-one-ment, which for some entails the denial that there was ever a real plurality or duality to begin with (oops, I forgot my nondual reality), which for others entails the sacrificial appeasement of an angry God. Some thus have a theological anthropology that is way too optimistic (who needs soteriology? nothing's wrong!) and others way too pessimistic (what good is sophiology? for the hopelessly depraved?). All may, can, will and shall be well, not because nothing's wrong but neither in a manner that obviates our ongoing cooperation with the Spirit, growing in wholeness and holiness. A compelling vision of at- ONE -ment entails all of the philosophical categories I discussed above and such an account should be as simple as possible but as complex as necessary, in dialogue with all of the Witnesses to Revelation. That's how to realize an authentic integral vision.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnboy.philothea:
It often seems to me that enlightenment experiences often engender - not only truly holy end-products , like compassion & deep consolations as well as some very practically efficacious by-products, like angst-free existential outlooks, but also - some metaphysical waste-products , like certain philosophy of mind positions.

"metaphysical waste-products" LOL. That sums up very well all the philosophies that come out of awakening. I think of it now in purely psychological terms. The best explanation I know of comes from Michael Washburn, whose writings Phil turned me on to. Any philosophical "waste-products" are totally unnecessary.

But just to clarify, awakening is not in its essence an experience, though it may be accompanied by unusual experiences. It is a change of perspective that follows on from the release of the fiction of a personal self.

posted Hide Post
I find a lot of the philosophical distinctions between mystical union, duality and nonduality far too subtle to bother much about. Or at least I find it difficult to wrap my head around them when I'm being consistantly drawn into that non reflecting consciousness Phil speaks of. But I think here the implications concerning suffering are important because in suffering we need hope. It may be an idea to deny we're suffering or to get to a place where one can accept it as part of the lila, but to know that suffering is redemptive, that God is love and allows pain to draw us closer to Her, is often the only way through the darkness. If God is not good, what guarantee do we have of salvation? Furthermore, does experiencing nonduality guarnatee an end to suffering? It might help us bear it more graciously, but so does an awareness of Christ's cross. A lot to chew over here and I'm struggling to do so because a man is working a noisy machine outside my window, and the only way to deal with that is to be non reflective. Besides, I'm hungry and sometimes a man just needs to eat.

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry - "bother about" sounds dismissive. I didn't mean it that way. I just don't have the head for it at the moment. I do find it interesting, really I do Smiler

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek: But just to clarify, awakening is not in its essence an experience, though it may be accompanied by unusual experiences. It is a change of perspective that follows on from the release of the fiction of a personal self.

In the classical sense, that is right. Some experience a real shift. At the same time, it represents, so to speak, a realization that can be experienced along a continuum that begins, for example, with glimpses. Related experiences of non-reflecting awareness can differ not only in degree but also in quality due to one's implicit, or even explicit, presuppositional stances, which derive from prior formation by religions, cultures, philosophies and so on. Post-experiential reflections have a recursive relationship with, and thus condition, our states and stages.

posted Hide Post
Derek (8 Aug. 6:52 PM) writes:

“The thing is, there isn't really an individual self to possess free will. The appearance of a separate self is an illusion created in the mind.

There's something going on around this planet. More and more people are waking up. I think Dominicus, who used to post here, was another one, though he maybe didn't say so explicitly. I'm part of a Facebook group of around 300 people -- all ordinary people -- who've seen through the illusion of an independent, personal self. People are waking up!”

How far from the Divine Revelation of Jesus Christ you have come, Derek.

You (& the 300) have left the light of truth and are now moving away and deeper into darkness. Alas. You all are endeavoring to walk by the light of insight not by faith. You walk by the light of intellectual insight and not by faith. You have made a false god of your intellects. You have placed your understanding (natural) above that of Christ’s revelation (supernatural).

Absent the Divine Revelation given us by Christ, this is where men max out in their understanding. You alas had the Christian faith to walk by and are abandoning it. Can this be enlightenment? Is this not folly?

It is creedal in Christian faith that there will be a judgment. This necessarily means that there is indeed an individual self that possesses free will. This means we have personal responsibility.

It is creedal that there is a hell and a judgment. All the talk about there being no hell dilutes the reality of judgment and responsibility. And it dilutes the reality of sin and also of evil.

You have turned in the direction of la-la land. Turn back! Tell the others – whoops! Wrong turn! We'd best head back.

Pop-pop

p.s. website for Christian Spirituality -- and no place for the Son of Man to lay His head? Aiyee.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pop-pop,

Posts: 465 | Registered: 20 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the Bennett interview, Derek. I listened to most of it. He reported that he studied with various zen and vipassna masters. He said he melts at the beauty of looking into a photo of Ramana Maharishi. "I dissolve...it's this awareness in me that recognizes the consciousness in me that was in him...I bow to the sacred divinity in you, in me, in every single form!" He concludes excitedly that "being in the 'present moment' IS the Presence of God!" This awareness came and went for years before it came to stay.

Very disturbing to me is this piece at 32:17 that begins his sharing about the very moment during Mass that began his awareness awakening.
He receives the Eucharist in his hand and "I look down at this little wafer in my hand...I got a flash...and suddenly it occurred to me I don't know what this is!...I had no language, no thoughts...my conceptual abilities just stopped, my sense of myself, of God...it was clean gone!...I was then on a search...there was a deep bliss, but hardly any thinking going on."

Unhappily, I find the same old conflating of the mystical graces of contemplation (varied and degrees of union with God that only He can give us) and non-reflecting awareness going on. Non-reflecting awareness, with or without bliss, can be stimulated by electrical stimulation to certain parts of the temporal lobe or the right combination of street drugs. I do enjoy closing my eyes at night and seeing/feeling the empty space in my head expand to an infinite, formless bliss of being-ness. It helps me fall asleep sometimes. So one consolation for me of non-reflecting awareness is it's soporific effect. Better than trying to secure a medical marijuana license.

Bennett's misunderstanding is most evident in his referring to the Cloud of Unknowing as the same as his shift into "awareness."

So I tend to resonate with Pops warning about leaving the Revelation of Jesus Christ for the seductions of this spiritual journey of "awareness."

For all his Poppiness, he does have a good point.

The "metaphysical waste-products" that JB is referring to could prove disastrous when some enlightened folks who swoon at pictures of their gurus lead the flock into the waste-land.

Posts: 1091 | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Besides, I'm hungry and sometimes a man just needs to eat.

Now, there is a wise man indeed! Smiler

JB loves the term disambiguation and it is very important with regard to terms like God, Self, Ego, personal self, enlightenment, etc. People obviously mean different things by these terms. I did my doctor of ministry project on this to indicate what I meant by the terms, so when I use God, Self and Ego, at least, people can know what I mean by them.
- see http://shalomplace.com/view/godselfego.html

To my understanding, we can never speak of the disappearance of an individual human agent of living, knowing, choosing, etc. To speak of loss of self or personal self or Ego can sometimes suggest that there's really no such individual agent present, which is an absurdity. It may well surely be that, in comparison with prior Ego states of consciousness that were rooted in self-image and projecting from such, the awareness state seems undefined -- even cosmic. And yet an individual mind continues to learn and choose, and an individual subject continues to love and receive love. We continue to exist as individual souls, but the boundaries between ourselves and others become opened in new ways we had not experienced before. Nevertheless, my wife is still an-other, I don't know what she will think next, and she makes her own choices (whether I like them or not, sometimes).

In heaven, there is a "communion of Saints" who are one in Christ while each retaining their own individual names, histories, and spiritual faculties. Individuality is affirmed, though not of the over-against type we're so familiar with in this life. I have never found my own (now-abiding) awareness state to discount what common sense and revelation affirm, even though there are times when it can feel for all the world as though there is no one at home in this body. Wink I become present to myself in thought and action, which is analagous to what the Word and Spirit are forever doing in the Trinity.

posted Hide Post
pop-pop, I don't know what to say to you, except that people who wake up like this have less confidence in the intellect than they did before.

Shasha, I'm glad you enjoyed the video. I seem to remember you said at one point that you found video material much easier to consume than reading matter these days. The phenomenon that Francis reports, where cognitive activity comes to a complete halt and then re-starts in a new way, is quite common at the time of awakening.

Phil, in the interests of disambiguation Smiler , it's not that anything disappears. It's more that the internal self-representation is seen to be what it has always been -- a figment of the imagination.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Derek:
Phil, in the interests of disambiguation Smiler , it's not that anything disappears. It's more that the internal self-representation is seen to be what it has always been -- a figment of the imagination.

Correct. And even a more rigorous account would say basically the same thing:

quote:
And now, a central claim. We would argue, as have many others, that our sense of “self,” what we will call human self-awareness, is made possible by symbolic language. That is, when we say that we are aware of our thoughts and ideas and plans and memories, we do this using symbolic constructions. It may be possible to have a thought without linguistic representation, but we only know that we have had one when it is self represented in symbolic form. This claim is made in full awareness of its attendant ambiguities, such as “how do we know that a dog is not also self-aware?” or “what about the pre-linguistic human infant?” While we find these questions intriguing, they fail to vitiate our sense that once language is in place, there emerges not only symbolic reference but also symbolic self-reference in the sense that we humans experience that experience.

How symbolic self-reference “works” is as elusive as how language itself “works.” But if neuroscientists were tomorrow to publish a definitive description of the biophysical/neural basis for human self-awareness, the account would be unlikely to have much impact on our understanding of our mental theaters because we are already expert at what they are like. Moreover, our self-awareness seems to be independent of mechanism. As much as we are able to acknowledge the embodiment of our ideas and feelings, we experience them as operating in a disembodied virtual realm.

From Biology To Consciousness To Morality by Ursula Goodenough and Terrence W. Deacon