New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evaluating centering prayer Login/Join 
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

Do you know of any way to get a copy of "The Theology of Christian Perfection?" Amazon lists it as out of print and unavailable.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sedona Method thread.

- - -

I don't know where to get The Theology of Christian Perfection. I know that Jordan Aumann, O.P., is still alive, and that he's written several texts on Christian spirituality since.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for the Sedona Method info.

Posts: 40 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WC, fyi, over at Alibris.com they have a number of books by Jordan Aumann (search by author)�but apparently not the one you�re looking for.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a question about centering prayer.

I read

Applying Jesus'teaching that "a house divided aginst itself cannot stand," they have striven to heal their own divided and warring consciousnesses and bring their lives into an inner alignment through which it becomes possible to actually follow the teachings of Christ (which are in fact pitched to a level of consciousness higher than the egoic) and to live them into reality with integrity and grace.

Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening

What level are the teachings of Christ pitched to?
What does this mean?

xrw

Posts: 21 | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure I understand your question, xrw. Please elaborate.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] Not sure I understand your question, xrw. Please elaborate. [/qb]
Well, Phil, you know.

Jesus was love. He pitched his teachings to all
levels. When he made the spit paste he was teaching love. When he told stories he was teaching love. He didn't have only one cathcer.
He threw pitches of love out all over the place for everybody to catch. Some of those pitches were just in the way he acted with people. When Cynthia says that, it sounds to me like shes saying that theres only a couple of people who can catch the love pitches of Jesus. That's wrong. Jesus pitched to everybody even the people in the stands.

xrw

posted Hide Post
OK, I understand. But what does this have to do with centering prayer? I'm not following your point.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] OK, I understand. But what does this have to do with centering prayer? I'm not following your point. [/qb]
The book has the words Centering Prayer on the cover.

My point is that the teachings of Jesus are bigger than words. They are pitched to everybody. Some people catch them. Some don't.

If the teachings aren't pitched to my level of consciousness, do I still have to follow the
ten commandments?

xrw

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrw:
[qb]
quote:
[qb] OK, I understand. But what does this have to do with centering prayer? I'm not following your point. [/qb]
The book has the words Centering Prayer on the cover.

My point is that the teachings of Jesus are bigger than words. They are pitched to everybody. Some people catch them. Some don't.

If the teachings aren't pitched to my level of consciousness, do I still have to follow the
ten commandments?

xrw [/qb]
Applying Jesus'teaching that "a house divided aginst itself cannot stand," they have striven to heal their own divided and warring consciousnesses and bring their lives into an inner alignment through which it becomes possible to actually follow the teachings of Christ (which are in fact pitched to a level of consciousness higher than the egoic) and to live them into reality with integrity and grace.

What does she mean when she says that the teachings of Christ are in fact pitched to a level of consciousness higher than the egoic?
How can the teachings which are teaching how to love be pitched only to a higher level of consciousness? I think they are pitched to all levels of consciousness. When I was a little kid,I knew love even though I didn't know words yet.There are kids that are saints. The teachings are pitched to all levels. And they don't all need words. They go past words and they include all levels. Centering prayer makes you a better catcher. xrw

posted Hide Post
xrw,

I think I understand what you are getting at.
In this particular, isolated quote, there is a
sense of reductionism (i.e., reducing the sum of
the teachings of Christ into linear verbiage only) and a sense of elitism (i.e., only those who are on higher levels of consciousness are having the teachings directed to them). Perhaps, it is the phrasing or specific choice of words by the author that is giving you the problem. Those people who have attained Divine Union do have a more in-depth understanding of the Gospels but that is not elitism by any means.
The words in the Gospels are written there for everyone to see but only some people can
'hear' what they are saying on this comprehensive level. Centering Prayer is a means
to increase responsiveness to this sort of 'hearing' and make one open to the possibility of Divine Union. Jesus said many things that may appear one way but were yet another. Paradox is part of his wisdom teachings. The apparent reductionism is another matter. It would be highly inappropriate to think that the sum of the teachings of Christ could be reduced to mere words which would be directed to a specific group. Love teachings go far beyond mere words. Perhaps, the author
could be a little more specific in her phrasing. You must remember to apply what the author is saying in the broader context of her work. It sounds like your problem is with her phrasing.
You aren't seeing the forest for the trees.
Read it over again and give it some thought in the broader context.

Best Wishes.

Felicity

Posts: 5 | Location: private | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Felicity, welcome. Smiler

Thanks for your feedback to xrw. Makes sense to me.

posted Hide Post
Good morning all,
I lead a women's retreat this weekend. I used Lectio Divina. We used the story of Mary & Martha and Psalm 139. In my humble opinion, the women were not ready for CP or sitting in silence. Heavens, they are Martha's, they do not sit in silence at any time. It "feels" wrong to them. Their husbands are farmers and they are nurses, administrators, therapists, etc. They do 3,4,5 jobs and sleep little. Self-care, not at all. Many women and men live this way in this world. They do not have time to think! Or to question. Meditation would be a pure gift from God, if they could accept it!!

In my humble opinion, they need to start with Lectio Divina. To sit and to hear the word. To allow God to take them deeper when they are ready. To have their focus on the face of Christ. To know "Who" is taking them on this journey of faith and healing.

I believe for a believer who (know I am talking about Christians because this is my experience) knows who their God is can do CP otherwise, I have to agree, I believe a person is just sitting in silence. Of course, God is still in control and can do all things! So, sometimes just by opening ourselves up, we go where we did not know it was possible to go.

My experience is, I did Lectio before doing CP. The LD led into CP or contemplation before I knew what it was or that it was. So, that is my comfort level or known. When I lead groups, I love to use Lectio and see where God takes us.

Posts: 40 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[qb] Felicity, welcome. Smiler

Thanks for your feedback to xrw. Makes sense to me. [/qb]
Thank you for the warm welcome. My pleasure.

There is an additional factor that should be considered by xrw. Protestant heritage relies
primarily on the written word: the Bible. On the other hand, Catholic heritage relies heavily on both Scripture and Tradition. Cynthia is
obviously from a Protestant heritage: a word heritage. xrw is most likely being influenced by a Catholic heritage. These ingrained cultural differences may also lead to misunderstandings.

Felicity

Posts: 5 | Location: private | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Quote:

Increasingly, I am inclined to see CP practice as more dynamically oriented toward enlightenment states, which, as we've noted many times on these fora, is not a bad thing and, indeed, is something that Christians ought to be open to realizing. Note,I'm not denying that infused contemplation happens, of course, only that the practice seems to move more toward enlightenment.
---------

I would be very interested in hearing more on this topic. Where has it been discussed or how do you see enlightenment vs infused contemplation.

I am new on the enlightenment front and would love more perspective.

posted Hide Post

Picture of brjaan
posted Hide Post
I have tried centering prayer (probably not long enough) and have not been successful with it. John Michael Talbot (a catholic musician who began his own franciscan lay community more info at www.brothersandsisters.org) talks about it in his books on prayer and meditation. He suggests that centering prayer is especially helpful when used with the Jesus Prayer. I guess I prefer lecto Divina especially when I am alone. I use the psalter in the book of common prayer and read the daily office. After I am able to focus the scripture comes alive for me. Lately in my readings I have been receiving the message to rely on God's help.

Posts: 205 | Location: McHenry Illinois | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your intersting thoughts/observations. I have been following the topic discussion closely. At times i feel like some of it is a little over my head but i'm really greatful to be learning. I just was wondering about the connection between cp practice and kundalini. Some of the posts seem to point between a connection between k awakening or intensifying the process through cp practice. The people i have talked to who practice seem to imply that it isn't very common. One guy i met has been practicing for over 10 years and hasn't had all that much physical symptoms. Also consider bonnie shike(can't remember last name0) respone in the inner explorations link. She says that symptoms are very rare. I wonder if there is a connection between the way it is practiced? I have felt at times that i may have been practicing wrongly (to willfully) when i experienced k arousels... Just a thought? :

Posts: 9 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was advised by cp teacher to take my time before moving into cp practice or other meditation. He mentioned how some people go deeply into meditation and how they are not really ready for the energy changes that happen as a result. Time is key.He talked about how there is no rush in the journey. I have found lectio a great way to engage with God lately. I'm really hoping to find some retreats in lect run in Australia...

Posts: 9 | Location: Australia | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've taken to looking out the window or at the Rocky
mountains or candles and halfway meditating. It's rather easy now to find some kind of still point or a peaceful, restful place, even in the midst of confusion. I'm in a bit of a dry spell, but still feel ecstatic and rapturous when dwelling upon the Beloved. Actually, I believe I have been in a state of aquired/infused contemplation for about four years now, for which I am great-full, but by no means have become sane. Wink

I was just talking to a couple of ex-cons at a bus
stop, and it was fairly simple to match their mental inconsistencies with some of my own. It's nice to be human, and by no means saintly. Saints are made by Grace and SURRENDER.

Gooday mate! Smiler

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gooday MM..
Must be nice to be able to look out at the rockies while praying. I like how you mention being human. It can be easy (for me anyway) to try to hard and not surrender but instead seek to work it all out in my head(perfectionism can be a curse). That is where CP has helped me in the past. To get out of over-thinking about things..
Now doing Lectio i'm trying to have that same attitude of surrender. To just allow myself to approach it calmly and without agenda. God bless..

posted Hide Post
Trying to get spiritual ground under my feet is akin to an attempt to gain financial ground or some kind of intellectual accomplishment or "ground under my feet." It all can seem futile, and likely is.

Everyone wants to be a guru, but few want to do what the guru did. I think I have to get to the end of myself over and over again. The searching is important. Reading books and internet articles for hours on end, seeking and searching, spending time in community until I am all God-talked out, praying until no words are left.

When it all pays off is watching coyotes chase foxes under the moon near the lake and realizing that just being is really what it's all about.

The Good Book says we have to labor to enter into this rest. Just remember to actually rest once in awhile.

This pretty little graphic design student wants to look at some Salvador Dali down at the art museum.
When I get over my fatigue and fear, I think I shall give her a ring... Smiler

I4get2livesometimes.com

posted Hide Post
Now that last paragraph is really interesting! Why not treat her to coyotes and foxes as well? Wink

posted Hide Post
That was with another girl I met Wednesday, but it is a romantic spot and I might take the other one there. Where are all these women coming from?
Maybe I can become the love guru of the Rockies. Smiler

posted Hide Post
Hmm . . could make for distractions in CP. Maybe hard to shake some of those off? Big Grin