Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evaluating centering prayer Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Also, I have yet to share much about my own spiritual history and background, which would of course give additional context for how I come to some of the perspectives I have.

Yes Dave. Since I believe ones personal spiritual experience weight a lot in this kind of discussion, I'm sure your coming on story add wider context to those interesting issues you have already raised. I'm looking forward to hear your spiritual history.

Posts: 340 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you think?

I think I look forward to reading what you guys and gals come up with.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Dave:

I'd certainly support that. It's hard to go wrong when exploring with an open heart.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see that Fr. Pennington has died.
- http://www.liguori.org/index.a...IEWCATS&Category=478

He was certainly one of the prime movers and shakers of the cp movement. . . a good and jolly man!

R.I.P. +

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] All good points, Michael. And I agree that there's good fruit with CP; some of the questions raised by Arraj have more to do with its relation to contemplation as understood in classical Christian mystical theology, especially John of the Cross.

Arraj asks:
quote:
2. What kind of prayer is Centering Prayer? St. John of the Cross describes two fundamental kinds of prayer: meditation, which is the use of our natural faculties of sense, imagination, intellect, memory and will, and contemplation, by which he means infused contemplation, which is a gift of God and which we cannot do at will. According to this distinction, Centering Prayer is a simplified form of meditation, and not contemplative prayer according to St. John of the Cross. It is also, therefore, an active form of prayer rather than a passive reception, and it makes use of our natural faculties in what St. John of the Cross would call a discursive fashion. But would Centering Prayer practitioners agree with this description?
Bonnie Shimuzu (with Fr. Keating's blessing) replies:
quote:
Centering Prayer goes beyond words, thoughts, and feelings and in that sense is not what John of the Cross calls "meditation." Infused contemplation as I understand it, even if defined strictly as gift, goes beyond words, thoughts, and feelings. Centering Prayer aids in this movement beyond the faculties and fosters the disposition of openness and surrender to God. It also could be noted that the gift of contemplation is one which is already given (the divine indwelling) and Centering Prayer simply cultivates our receptivity to the gift and helps to remove the obstacles to our awareness of it. It is basically similar to acquired contemplation.
- see http://www.innerexplorations.com/chmystext/cm1.htm

Notice the logical fallacy, here. Because infused contemplation goes beyond thoughts and words, then any going beyond thoughts and words must somehow be contemplation. That's quite a leap of logic.

Arraj disagrees with the whole idea of acquired contemplation, and I am inclined to agree especially with his main point to the effect that John of the Cross did not teach this. He responds to Bonnie as follows:
quote:
The gift of contemplation should not be identified without qualification with the indwelling of the Trinity. Infused contemplation is, indeed, intimately connected to this indwelling, but it is an actual experience of it that takes place through the activation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Everyone in the state of grace has the Trinity dwelling in his or her heart, for that is the central reality of sanctifying grace. But not everyone has a proximate call to infused contemplation, and thus has the gifts activated in the manner necessary for contemplation, and can therefore take up an attitude of passivity in relationship to this indwelling. Further, infused contemplation, when it grows past its delicate beginnings, is a state that is often discernable to the one who receives it.
I agree with Arraj, here, and I do think there are some things taught in Contemplative Outreach about contemplation that go against the classical understanding. In fact, I even wonder if the experience of silence that CP aims for can even be called contemplation. It is a resting, for sure, but inasmuch as it strives for pure contentlessness as the essence of contemplation, I think they miss the point, which is to rest in God's loving presence. Listen to Thomas Keating, here:
quote:
"Let go of sensible and spiritual consolation. When you feel the love of God flowing into you, it is a kind of union, but it is a union of which you are aware. Therefore, it is not pure union, not full union." . . . "There is no greater way in which God can communicate with us than on the level of pure faith. This level does not register directly on our psychic faculties because it is too deep."(from link 4, above)
Man alive! Do you see the problem here? What is being recommended is that one view even the experience of God's love flowing into you as a kind of distraction simply because it has "content" or because you "experience" it. I suppose, then, you are to return to the sacred word and treat that as just another type of distraction? That's not John of the Cross any more. Small wonder the term quietism has been thrown around at times. [/qb]

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi geridoc, and welcome to the forum. Smiler

I'm not sure why you just re-quoted an earlier post. Were you wanting to respond to it? Scroll down to the "Quick Reply" form at the bottom of the page for the easiest way to do so.

I hope we hear from you.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[I am new to this kind of posts in online groups and my first post did not go through correctly] Here is my second try on Centering prayer:

As a psychiatrist and Catholic Christian using Centering prayer, I have to say that this kind of prayer is not without its dangers. Spiritual: I would definitely not recommend it to anyone who has not been reading the Bible and praying regularly for some years. Psychological: I would not recommend it to those who are very suggestible, or those with significant mental problems.
The current Pope while he was just 'Cardinal Ratzinger', and Prefect of the Faith distributed an official letter titled 'Some Aspects of Christian Meditation', with the offical seal of approval from the then pope, John Paul II . Although the letter itself goes into both the positive and negative aspects of the renewed interest in meditative types of prayer, I have only quoted some of the cautionary statements below. [So don�t get the impression that the letter is against contemplation per se].
"Without doubt, a Christian needs certain periods of retreat into solitude to be recollected and, in God's presence, rediscover his path. Nevertheless, given his character as a creature, and as a creature who knows that only in grace is he secure, his method of getting closer to God is not based on any "technique" in the strict sense of the word. That would contradict the spirit of childhood called for by the Gospel. Genuine Christian mysticism has nothing to do with technique: it is always a gift of God, and the one who benefits from it knows himself to be unworthy"
�The love of God, the sole object of Christian contemplation, is a reality which cannot be "mastered" by any method or technique. On the contrary, we must always have our sights fixed on Jesus Christ, in whom God's love went to the cross for us and there assumed even the condition of estrangement from the Father� (cf. Mk 13:34).

The letter warns of the kind of thinking which seem to say that one ought to "try and overcome the distance separating creature from Creator, as though there ought not to be such a distance; to consider the way of Christ on earth, by which he wishes to lead us to the Father, as something now surpassed; to bring down to the level of natural psychology what has been regarded as pure grace, considering it instead as "superior knowledge" or as "experience."
"To this end, they make use of a "negative theology," which transcends every affirmation seeking to express what God is, and denies that the things of this world can offer traces of the infinity of God. Thus they propose abandoning not only meditation on the salvific works accomplished in history by the God of the Old and New Covenant, but also the very idea of the One and Triune God, who is Love, in favor of an immersion "in the indeterminate abyss of the divinity"
"However, the emptiness which God requires is that of the renunciation of personal selfishness, not necessarily that of the renunciation of those created things which he has given us and among which he has placed us. There is no doubt that in prayer one should concentrate entirely on God and as far as possible exclude the things of this world which bind us to our selfishness. On this topic St. Augustine is an excellent teacher: if you want to find God, he says, abandon the exterior world and re-enter into yourself. However, he continues, do not remain in yourself, but go beyond yourself because you are not God; he is deeper and greater than you".

I like this statement: "It is necessary in the first place to bear in mind that man is essentially a creature, and remains such for eternity, so that an absorbing of the human self into the divine self is never possible, not even in the highest states of grace".
The full text of this letter is available at: http://www.catholicculture.org...view.cfm?recnum=2932

Posts: 5 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
geridoc,

Welcome! Smiler I like where you are coming from very much. Catholic Christian mysticism, Straight up, neat, no ice or soda.

Augustine, de Caussade, Gerrigou La Grange, Tanqueray, Poulain, Merton, Theresa ( of Avila and Lisieux), Teresa of Calcutta, Bernard, William of St. Thierry, Aelred of Rivaulx, Aquinas, Anthony, Benedict, pseudo-Dionysius, Desert Fathers, etc.

If so, we'll have great fun working some of the bugs out of CP.

caritas, mm <*))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Echoing Michael's welcome, geridoc.

Thank you for bringing up Cardinal Ratzinger's paper. Those were especially pertinent quotes that you shared.

I don't know if you've had a chance to read through this rather lengthy discussion, but it seems that you share some of the same concerns that others (self included) have expressed. You mention that you have been using cp; would you be willing to share more about your experience with this practice? Also, what are some of your specific concerns as a psychiatrist, especially if you've had to deal with cases.

Hoping to hear more from you.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome. Although there is a degree of anonymity in the forum, for medico-legal reasons I am not allowed to give what could amount to professional opinions in a public forum like this. In any case, when in comes to prayer and God being a psychiatrist does not lead to any special competence, other than maybe a different perspective.

I will not discuss cases here, other than to say that the use of certain forms of prayer like CP/contemplation or its external opposite �charismatic prayer� often cause problems. Sticking to CP:

1. risk of inducing a form self-hypnosis in very suggestible persons; some CP teachers even use phrases used in hypnosis to get people to their �center�. For instance, I have heard this, and I have seen this mentioned either in this forum or elsewhere of people reporting that CP instructors have been asking the people to imagine being in an elevator, then going down to the 10th floor, the 11th floor and so on.. [these are phrases sometimes used in hypnosis]. I don�t think the leaders were aware of it, they usually tend to be teaching with a genuine desire to help people.

2. Those with major mental problems schizophrenia, OCD etc tend to have problems if asked to sit quietly and distance themselves from all thoughts. The initial period of learning CP where the person learns to ignore images, thoughts and sensations can lead to considerable confusion. People with these kind of illnesses tend to have an overabundance of thoughts or sensations to begin with. Although they would in theory benefit from learning to ignore them, very often the reverse happens. To me this happens when prayers like this are taught to just anyone who happens to be present.

Ultimately for me, there is one question, that needs to be addressed: Is CP and others like it something that should be taught to just anyone, or is it a call from God, that occurs after developing a relationship with God through other forms of prayer? I know that sounds awfully elitist but that is not my intention. My knowledge of John of the Cross and Teresa are second-hand, via the books of Fr. Thomas Green [esp. �When the Well Runs Dry: Prayer beyond the beginnings�]. My understanding is that the traditional teaching was that contemplative prayer is something that some people are led to. In this view going to a parish and sending a flyer saying that there will be a talk on prayer and then surprising people by teaching CP to everyone who is present would not be appropriate..

posted Hide Post
geridoc,

One of those axis II bipolar schizophrenic people with psychotic features pressed a copy of 'When the Well Runs Dry' into my hands during a difficult transition for yours truly. It was the perfect Rx for me and what I was going through at the time. Don't know where he got a book like that. He reads John Grisham and Tom Clancy. Shortly thereafter, I managed to find Jim Arraj and PSR.

From there on, it's been uphill all the way down! Wink

I've noticed that around half of the mystics I have met are Enneagram type 5, The Observer or The Sage. There can be a tendency toward schizophrenia
in that personality type. If they have a 4 wing, The Romantic or Individualist, they may have an artistic personality, and if they have a 6 wing, Loyalist(counterphobic) or Devils Advocate (phobic), there can be a tendency toward paranoia
or authoritarianism/anti-authoritarianism. There are roughly corresponding Meyers-Briggs types to match the Enneagram, but I do not have the information handy. I've seen all nine types in CP
settings.

I understand that many retreats keep a psychologist on hand for unusual situations.

CP might well cause problems for some. Yes, an invitation from the Holy Spirit is best. It's not a panacea, although I thought so for a couple of years.

IMO, the average person could benefit from a more
contemplative life.

very honored to meet you,

michael Smiler

posted Hide Post
Geridoc,
Good to meet you. I have no doubt that those with psychotic tendencies are probably better off with a more active form of prayer for the reasons that you state. In addition, I think that vulnerability to experiencing dissociation may also cause difficulties for some when using or learning CP.

However, as someone who is interested in the person centred approach I wonder about the implications of your argument. Does this mean that there should be some sort of screening? Who should decide which techniques are suitable for which people? As adults, even adults with a history mental illness, people have the right to make their own choices. The risks need to be acknowledged and people should know about them, but like Michael, I do think that involvement in CP should be at the invitation of the Holy Spirit.
FrancesB

Posts: 59 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
geridoc, I hope you take the time to read through this voluminous thread, as it addresses some of the issues your raise, especially concerning the propriety of presenting CP to just anyone. Generally, what seems to happen is that those who aren't ready for it just quit practicing it after a very short while. But that doesn't get to the heart of your question concerning who it's ideally suited for. There are numerous places in this thread where we take that up, and the consensus seemed to be that the best way to proceed with prayer is lectio divina, moving into a more simplified rest mode when grace moves one there.

Re. your point about hypnosis, I don't think that's common among cp teachers. It's certainly not part of the method that's taught, so it wouldn't really be a fair criticism of the cp movement to use that example. I've never run across that in any of their literature, web sites, workshops, newsletters, or in corresponding with cp teachers. In fact, I'm pretty sure that most would discourage "elevator" type meditations, as such are not really in the spirit of prayer.

posted Hide Post
I wonder whether the best evaluation of centering prayer is simply whether it brings you closer to God?
As a psychologist trained in scientific methods I am well aware of my own tendency to overcomplicate and overanalyse. My faith is one area where I am trying not to - this is partly why I am attracted to the contemplative lifestyle - of which I think (?) CP can be a part.
That's not to say I think I should just turn off my intellect - God gave us that for a reason - but for me it can become an obstacle rather than a tool to bring me closer to Him.

FrancesB

Posts: 59 | Location: UK | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Geridoc:

Thanks for mentioning the books by Fr. Thomas Green. I've ordered the one you referred us to, and a second that seems to be something of a sequel.

Lectio Divina has been my staple for the past five years, which seems to make room for all manner of active and passive modes of prayer. I have an earlier background in Buddhist meditation, and Hindu Vedanta, and when I attended a class on CP, it seemed more oriented to those psychological/energetic methods than to simple, devotional receptivity. There just seems too much work in it, such that even if a person were somewhat disposed psychologically to that kind of introspection, or not too vulnerable to the kundalini side-effects, he or she might not realize how God just wants us to rest in Him, or as Phil says:

"Resting in the awareness of God's love for us."

Of course, this rest is preceeded by active prayer, use of imagination, etc for us beginners. . . but as St. John of the Cross cautions, when there's mainly an emphasis on active forms, as one begins experiencing the sweet stilling of the faculties via the Holy Spirit, there could be resistance, since during this graced rest one has no sense of accomplishing anything except being open to a relationship that we don't initiate or regulate. It would seem to me CP might easily lead to this mistake, besides the dangers you mention. And, its treatment of Lectio Divina seems disrespectful of such a rich, ancient, time-tested method so close to the heart of Christian prayer.

I'm just now finishing Kieran Kavanaugh's "John of the Cross: Doctor of Light and Love." This has been a good way to see how John's guidance is insightful re: the psychological aspects of spiritual formation.

posted Hide Post
Re: �Who should decide which techniques are suitable for which people? As adults, even adults with a history mental illness, people have the right to make their own choices�

I only mentioned the mentally ill because of the profession I am in. In itself, mental illness is not a contraindication. I am no expert, but IMO Contemplative prayer is not for the person who is a beginner in prayer. Contemplative prayer is not for everyone who has been praying regularly with other methods for a long time either. Assuming that the first statement is accepted, how is the more experienced pray-er to know that she/he is ready? I would defer to those who have been considered as �experts� in contemplation:
1. They should be praying regularly AND still experiencing dryness in prayer.
2. They should examine their conscience to see if it is an unconfessed grievous sin that is causing the dryness.
3. If they are STILL experiencing dryness in prayer, then contemplative methods of prayer would be something they could try.
[If they have a major mental illness: each individual is different and it should be something they should ask their own treatment provider. Many would not recommend either CP or Charismatic prayer unless they have had no medication changes in the last 12 months/considered to be in remission for 12months.]

posted Hide Post
geridoc, it sounds like you're working with St. John of the Cross' three signs, above. I know Thomas Green discusses these at length in "When the Well Runs Dry" and "Drinking from a Dry Well," both of which I've read many years ago.

I don't have a major disagreement with this counsel, but it's not really what John of the Cross was advising. Rather, his 3rd sign indicated the early presence of infused contemplation, and he was recommending that pray-ers simply let themselves rest in this gentle, loving presence. Later interpretations took this to mean that he was recommending that one "cultivate" that sense of loving awareness, and so began the controversies about "acquired contemplation" which have perdured to this day. You can read all about it at http://www.innerexplorations.c...tchspmys/fromst1.htm in From St. John of the Cross to Us.

What this author (my good friend, Jim Arraj, recommends can be found here. Basically, he recommends just continuing with lectio divina, and praying as best one can, and as simply, too. I quote:

quote:
Acquired contemplation is mistaken, not because it delineated this process of simplification, but rather, because it misunderstood the nature of contemplation. It thought that taking up an attitude of expectancy with the natural faculties, a loving attentiveness, would be the best disposition for receiving contemplation, but the natural working of the faculties, no matter how passively we exercise them, which, of course, tends to be a contradiction, cannot attain contemplation because contemplation does not come through the faculties.

Not only will this new stage of prayer be simplified, but it will be without sensible consolation, and yet, if it is not the beginning of contemplation, it is a prayer that must be prayed. It is an active exercise of the faculties, even though in a simplified manner. There are no simple apprehensions or intuitions that can be maintained more than a few seconds as the culminating leap of the discursive process, nor are there any enduring acts that by-pass the need to actively exercise mind and heart in order to pray. The ordinary practices of the active spiritual life have to be maintained, that is, the conscientious practice of the various virtues, mortification, the Sacraments and spiritual reading, etc. Since sensible consolation has evaporated, faith comes to the forefront, the faith that St. John calls the only proximate means of union with God, that is a faith working through charity that can be lived out without sensible consolation, without contemplative experience, and without trying to constantly make it into the receptivity of an experience that is not there.

This faith has as many opportunities to grow as there are moments that can be given to prayer, chances to put more love into our relationships with others and problems and trials that must be borne. It can nourish itself on St. John's writings on the goal of the spiritual life and on the detachment that faith demands, aware that he is talking about the gift of contemplation but also realizing that this active exercise of faith is the best preparation for whatever gifts God has in store for us.

If we are not beginners and not contemplatives, we can still be men and women of faith.

posted Hide Post
Jim Arraj and PSR,

My gratitude for you is bountiful and overflowing! Smiler

I laughed so hard when I saw the imprimatur at the begining of 'When the Well Runs Dry.' Cardinal Sin of the Phillipines has given his blessing. Wink God truly has a sense of humor. Might get the sequel, as w.c. has wisely chosen. Thomas Green was an experienced
spiritual director, and I wish that we had a thousand more just like him. Smiler

I don't see CP as complicated or concentrative. It's just that there are several years worth of classes at Contemplative Outreach and several thousand dollars later we reach 'enlighenment.'

People are rather complicated today and want alot of complicated psychology and expect even monks to provide it. CP is the simplest prayer I can imagine, even simpler than the Rosary.

geridoc, thank you so much for showing up today! Smiler -michael

<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

Re: dryness and sensible consolations . . . .

One aspect of dryness, as I understand it, is when the faculties cannot procure any sense of meaning, and are not able to rest themselves through any effort; it is dryness, IOW, from the pov of the faculties. "Sensible" consolation would arise from the faculties, although in graced contemplation, the senses are being ordered beyond themselves without the faculties knowing anything at all about the HS's process (occasionally the intuition is touched, but the knowing takes no discernible form). John of the Cross mentions, for instance, that the imagination still moves at times, but this by itself isn't an impediment to the HS unless we willfully engage the images, which the soul in contemplative prayer is generally not inclined toward anyway. There is also, at times, a "sense" of the Holy Spirit praying in me, with little understanding of this.

And so the tendency to view dryness as a kind of Buddhist emptiness might have some of us abdicating the rest given by the HS as a consolation contrived by the will, and therefore treat it as being active and not properly "dry," as the senses and will do have their subtle response to the HS, often more detectable after prayer.

Does that make sense?

posted Hide Post
Is contemplation something that can occur outside prayer? Or does one have to be engaged in the activity of prayer to be graced so. I sometimes find my spirit quickened in different circumstances. Sometimes it's as if God's Presence has visited me in sleep. I may not remember much, but there is a spiritual liveliness and joy in waking that follows throughout the morning, making me desperate for prayer. Prayer doesn't necessarily enhance this state, and what follows is a desire to grasp and keep the concomitant depth in my soul, which eventually gives way to a resting in the beloved, rather than anything more active like Lectio etc. At these times there are usually Kundalini like side-effects, or occasional insights into the nature of the Creator, the Word become flesh, Christ as the only begotten of the Father etc. Again, these are fleeting. The mind attempts to hold on to them but they pass, leaving a warmth in the breast like something baking in an oven.

Then again, there are times when the natural faculties, quite apart from trying to grasp a contemplative state, are unable to function at all in prayer. Maybe this is akin to dryness. I find that just trying to be aware of one's breath can be helpful here, although at times even this is difficult. Surprisingly, and delightfully, however, one can leave the prayer room and get on with one's business, only to find a sense of God's Presence in one's natural surroundings or activities. So then, while any single act of prayer is not bound to lead into contemplation, there seems to be a natural relationship with the Lord where He responds to an active/passive heart in the habit of prayer, and gives of Himself because it's His desire to do so, often at the most unexpected times and in the most surprising way (eg. during sleep). The antithesis of this is where sin and demonic activity block any free flow of grace, leading one into repentance, which in itself is an example of God's grace overcoming sin and the devil.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to ask geridoc if he knows of instances where symptoms of mental illness surrounding contemplative and charismatic prayer have, in fact, been occult/demonic attempts to inhibit prayerful activity, and if he believes that psychiatry has anything to offer/suggest in these circumstances.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Stephen:

Your description seems spot on to me, especially how dryness arises from the faculties not being able to function, which may only be perceived as a loss when one has been dependent upon the imagination during active prayer for sensible consolations. I've also experienced something like what you're describing during sleep, and upon waking, and the fleeting insights the mind would ordinarily want to grasp were it not resting beyond itself.

In Kavanaugh's book on John of the Cross, he quotes at length the direction for those who find in prayer no need, or ability, to engage the initial stages of Lectio, but instead are drawn directly into resting in the Beloved. On the other hand, John of the Cross seems to teach that as long as active prayer is possible, and not interfering with our relationship with Christ, it should be engaged.

<w.c.>
posted
Here is the Catholic Church's official teaching on prayer, both its basic theology and recommendations for daily practice. A person utilizing Centering Prayer could see some cautions for that practice based upon the larger contexts of prayer described in the Catechism, i.e, development of virtue, transformation, purification of the psyche through "Thy will be done." It seems, in one or two places, that the Catechism may be alluding to the potential for confusion and false piety or spiritual pride arising from such technique-oriented methods.

The section on Vocal prayer, meditation and contemplation seem to embrace a fairly healthy understanding of human psychological life in relation to spiritual formation.

http://www.usccb.org/catechism...pt4sect1chpt3ind.htm

posted Hide Post
Reply to Stephen:
Re: "instances where symptoms of mental illness surrounding contemplative and charismatic prayer have, in fact, been occult/demonic attempts to inhibit prayerful activity, and if he believes that psychiatry has anything to offer/suggest in these circumstances".
The fact is that Psychiatry would have no way to make such a distinction. The official reply would of course be that demons and the occult are not things that have been proved to exist so science cannot comment on them. You must understand that science deals with observable phenomena that can be repeated in a laboratory.
When it comes to making a diagnosis where lab studies cannot be done, for example deciding whether somone has a migraine or whether the person is just getting headaches from worrying about his job.. The doc looks to see whether the pattern of signs and symptoms are those of a migraine. If they are, the job problems may only be an exacerbating cause rather than the etiology of the illness. In the same way if someone comes in with symptoms of mental illness and the pattern/form of symptoms are fairly pathognomonic then one would treat the most likely medical diagnosis.

posted Hide Post
I appreciate your reply, geridoc, and can see the limitaions of psyhciatry, and also its benefits in the cases of established mental illness.