Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practicing Forgiveness Login/Join 
<w.c.>
posted
Here's a summary of some recent studies evaluating the health benefits of forgiveness. That's a nice spin, huh? Forgive aunt Lola for her english bulldog tearing up your best sneakers, and that wheezing eases up a bit . . . .

Seriously . . . .

http://www.spiritualityhealth....ticle/item_6684.html

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's some good practical advice in those recommendations, but it's mostly on the psychological dimension of forgiveness. The way I understand the moral and spiritual part of forgiveness is that it is an act of will to wish no harm, but goodness, on the one who harmed us. This kind of inner movement seems to actually deepen the psychological healing, which I don't think can go very far without iit.

I think the point about forgiveness not requiring reconciliation is a good one. We can let things go and wish the other well and still decide that we need a firm boundary in the relationship--maybe a very high fence!

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the point about forgiveness not requiring reconciliation is a good one.

Good points about proper boundaries, Phil, very consistent with:

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was taught that forgiveness involves acting justly towards the person who has hurt or wronged you. You don't have to agree that the person's behavior was ok, you don't even have to like the person. But trating the person in a just manner is the heart of forgiveness.

shanti

Posts: 144 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post