Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Authenticity and True Vocation Login/Join 
posted
The following is from Can You Drink the Cup? by Henri Nouwen. I like the distinction he makes between doing what we want and doing what we are called to do.

quote:
Action, just as silence and the word, can help us to claim and celebrate our true self. But here again we need discipline, because the world in which we live says: "Do this, do that, go here, go there, meet him, meet her." Busyness has become a sign of importance. Having much to do, many places to go, and countless people to meet gives us status and even fame. However, being busy can lead us away from our true vocation and prevent us from drinking our cup.

It is not easy to distinguish between doing what we are called to do and doing what we want to do. Our many wants can easily distract us from our true action. True action leads us to the fulfillment of our vocation. Whether we work in an office, travel the world, write books or make films, care for the poor, offer leadership, or fulfill unspectacular tasks, the question is not "What do I most want?" but "What is my vocation?" �

When we are committed to do God�s will and not our own we soon discover that much of what we do doesn�t need to be done by us. What we are called to do are actions that bring us true joy and peace�Actions that lead to overwork, exhaustion, and burnout can�t praise and glorify God. What God calls us to do we can do and do well. When we listen in silence to God�s voice and speak with our friends in trust we will know what we are called to do and we will do it with a grateful heart.
What say you all? Does that jibe with how your life has gone or is it a worthy goal you�re still working on? Have you, like so many of us, gotten caught up in the rat race and become somewhat of a cog in a machine from which it is hard to escape and thus to fully claim one�s authentic identity? Or is it a mix? What can we really expect out of life in this regard in your opinion?

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ideal is that we come to want what God wants -- then the gap closes. This union of wills does seem to deepen on the spiritual journey. But, yes, the struggle between "my will" and "God's will" goes on, with true happiness coming with the latter consent. Of course, this implies some clarity about "God's will," about which many have dysfunctional images. As St. Thomas Aquinas emphasized, however, God wills our happiness, so this can be used as a principle to help sort things out.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ideal is that we come to want what God wants -- then the gap closes. This union of wills does seem to deepen on the spiritual journey. But, yes, the struggle between "my will" and "God's will" goes on, with true happiness coming with the latter consent.

Yes. Very helpful. And contained therein I think is the radical crux of it: Are there informational sources outside of ourselves? Anyone who has ever picked up a newspaper would say "Why, yes. Of course." But how high up does it go? Can one really sense a Divine Will? If so, how does one do that?

Actually, I�m happy to say that me and God seem to be on a first name basis. Wink We communicate, that is. As strange as that sounds in this rationalistic age, it does seem to be true. The last direct message I had was along the lines of "Be prepared to abandon all sense of dignity." Whoa. That�s both reassuring in some sense but also a bit ominous.

So the main points seems to be how we approach our lives. Do we follow desires that stem from who-knows-where -- perhaps our ego, perhaps our desire to keep up with the Jones�s? Or do we seriously consider that there are deeper motivations and forces at work? If so, how do we pick up those signals? How can we be sure, especially when those signals are nowhere near as loud as the signals coming from fear or psychological neediness?

And what if those signals are ambiguous or seemingly non-existent? What if those signals have you cooling your heals in a place that seems like anything but a divine revelation of destiny? I think those are the real-life situations that we often face. We�re forced to deal with subtleties, which surely is an invitation for us to quiet or minds and souls. But I do see myself making progress in other areas, even if I�m presently unsure about my vocation, and might presume that preparation is being made for something to come later, but sometimes living a life is like working in the mailroom of some big corporation. We don�t necessarily know of the big things that are going to effect us until it filters on down through the hierarchy. Thus once one makes the decision that there is a Grander Source of information and guidance, one must then trust. Radically.

Of course, this implies some clarity about "God's will," about which many have dysfunctional images.

Yes, I think that�s a good point. How easy it might be to attach that moniker to whatever it is we wanted to do and thereby, at least in our own minds, sanctify it.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post