Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dispensation to eat meat? Login/Join 
posted
BOSTON - Opening Day ticket holders at Boston's Fenway Park this year who are Catholic face a dilemma: the Boston Archdiocese said since the afternoon game against the Toronto Blue Jays (news) falls on Good Friday, they must refrain from eating meat, including hot dogs, sausages and pepperoni pizza.

"We're already getting all kinds of requests for dispensation to eat meat," said the Rev. Christopher J. Coyne, a spokesman for the archdiocese. However Coyne said that after a meeting to discuss the requests, Boston church leaders decided a baseball game was too weak an excuse to duck the no-meat rule.

"I would hope it was just an oversight when they were doing the schedule," Coyne told the Boston Herald. "I think it's very insensitive to the huge number of people who are Christians and fans."

In 1995 and 2000, Cardinal Bernard F. Law, then the head of the archdiocese, allowed local Catholics to eat meat when St. Patrick's Day fell on a Friday during Lent.

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And so . . . this is a Christian spirituality issue . . .?? Razzer

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christian spirituality

Just wanted to make sure it showed up on Google by placing it here at Shalomplace.com , since ... ... ... well ... ... you know ... Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Ha, well, actually that doesn't help, as the way UltimateBB writes the pages is not as html files, so the search bots don't even notice them. The newer version does present this option, however, only, upgrading the software is . . . ugh . . . Red Face

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, where it reads that html is not enabled , that means you couldn't enable it with the click of a button?

That's too bad because I was thinking that there were quite a few very substantive threads here over the years that would be deserving of a higher profile than their simple listing on the UBB, especially knowing how lax I have been in entitling threads or staying on-topic at times.

posted Hide Post
Let me just settle this issue here and now by pointing out that there is no meat in those hot dogs they sell at the ballpark. Unless there's some rule about consuming rat droppings, you should be okay.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB, the html enabling is for within posts. A browser will read the tags, but a bot won't read the pages. Each thread is a .cgi page. v. 6.7 allows for posting as html, but I usually wait until x.x.1 before upgrading. I'm also looking into vBulletin and other BB software, provided, of course, they can import the present info.

------

Agreeing with Brad on the hot dog contents. Yeah! What meat? Or, "call that meat?"

Picture of Katy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Nelson:
[qb] Let me just settle this issue here and now by pointing out that there is no meat in those hot dogs they sell at the ballpark. Unless there's some rule about consuming rat droppings, you should be okay. [/qb]
rat droppings? I heard that every part of the pig is in those things but the oink.
:-)

Katy

Posts: 538 | Location: Sarasota, Florida | Registered: 17 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
andy
Picture of andy123
posted Hide Post
I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.

Posts: 1 | Location: uk | Registered: 23 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can one not watch a game without eating? Or just eat chips, peanuts, etc?

Posts: 60 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 13 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you a soccer fan, Ona? You've got a festival coming next year with the World Cup. Might need a few buckets of chips Big Grin.

(Zico was one of my boyhood heroes!)

Posts: 538 | Registered: 24 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living in Brazil and NOT a soccer fan (I enjoy watching an occasional part of most any sportor game, but don't schedule my day around it or know the names of teams or players)

Yes, after this Pope-o-rama comes the Soccer-mania, and then the Olympics. Should be entertaining.

Posts: 60 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 13 July 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post