Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Christian Spirituality Issues    Why Religion?-Ideas and discussions about role of religion in every day life
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Religion?-Ideas and discussions about role of religion in every day life Login/Join 
Picture of BradNelson
posted Hide Post
Another reason for "Why Religion?" I witnessed yesterday while listening to the Michael Medved show. In America, one reason the state had historically remained small, and the Constitution honored, is because people didn't look to the Federal government as if it was a god. But many do now.

A teacher called in from his classroom and asked Medved why the Republicans (or anyone) should do away with earmarks if those earmarks are responsible for his class being given grant materials in order to study the Constitution. Medved's point was that you don't need to ship the money off to the Federal government only to then have to ask for it back later. Keep it here and let state or local school districts take care of it. Besides, that money isn't "free." It's your money just repackaged, and when it comes back to you (after the bureaucracy siphons off a large percentage), there are always strings attached.

But that line a reasoning bounced off the skulls of both the teacher and one of his students who also talked to Medved. It was inconceivable to them not to have the Federal government there to supply "stuff" that they weren't getting now. It was clear that to them the Federal government was a slightly mystical entity, the ultimate wish-fulfillment being. Like some people's view of God. Rush Limbaugh talked to a guy yesterday who quite literally thought that Obama had piles of money sitting around and that is was the government's job to distribute it.

Now to be honest, I have no idea what I can expect in terms of material or spiritual goods from god. But I'm not arguing that point. I'm saying that when religion goes kaput, people turn to the state to be their god. And this will always have disastrous consequences. Again, that may sound like a purely pragmatic argument for religion. To some extent it is. But it's also about clearly delineating the line between worldly aspirations and religious ones. And it's very easy to mix the two up. This is what liberal-infused religions are doing today.

Posts: 56 | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BradNelson:
It was inconceivable to them not to have the Federal government there to supply "stuff" that they weren't getting now.

Yes, I've noticed that, too.

The word "government" indicates that its job is to govern -- i.e., to rule or to regulate. Historically, the only "services" governments provided were national defense and a court system.

However, over the last century or so, people have increasingly looked to their government as the body that will solve all their unsolved problems and meet all their unmet needs.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post