New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suffering Login/Join 
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
quote:
we'll probably all agree that "the spirit", meaning the highest dimension of human nature, is the place where we meet God and touch him - mystical writers refer to it as the "spark", "the inner citadel", "the peak of mind", "the center" etc.etc. It expresses itself in intellect and will, but some suggest that in its nature it's higher than those faculties and unifies them.

Mt., that's how I understand it as well, and your remark that "it expresses itself in spirit and will" is what I mean when I say that the Ego is essentially spiritual. The higher animals do not have an Ego as we do; they are not in conscious possession of their intelligence and freedom. It is our spiritual nature that enables this realization, and the Ego is our most common experience of it.

Does that all make sense to those following this discussion? If not, check out that thread on Ego and Self recommended above, or follow up with questions and comments here, if you'd like.

Posts: 3958 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post