Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions, Answers & Cosmologies Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Oh, there you are! First there was a ubb then there was no ubb then there was ... ...

As for I wonder just how real nonduality is. Is it, in fact, just a prolonged pleasurably state of mind, one that most of us come across from time to time, and some just know how to make it last longer through rigorous discipline and training? Is all this other crappola surrounding it simply added on at the end to explain it? Certainly one would expect such an achievement with so much effort involved to be described as elevated or enlightened rather than altered or artificial.

Your questions comprise a good koan and they have provided me a rich reflection, but I can only partially respond that all aspects of consciousness and the types of awareness with which they gift us are great gifts. It may be that the great philosophies, phenomenologies, metaphysics, mysticisms and theologies and their various schools and traditions arose from gifted individuals, that is to say individuals who were especially gifted in one type of awareness, particularly immersed in one state of consciousness and focused on its implications for truth, beauty and goodness.

So, as great as Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Hegel, Hume, Berkeley, Descartes, Nagarjuna, James, Dewey, Wittgenstein, et al were, with their greatness was a type of madness of a sorts because they took a key insight and universalized or absolutized it. I think the trick is to return from this or that state of awareness with this or that experience of consciousness, and to unwrap the gift, to unpack the insight, and, to the extent it is a garden tool or farm implement, to place it in the shed next to the other tools and implements rather than hanging it over the mantle and using it, alone, for each day's chores. There are two errors involved here: using that tool, alone, and keeping it in one's house rather than in the shed.

In nonduality, I suppose the trick is to see through essence to gaze at existence without denying essence, the very essence which will reveal, through deep analogy, a different type of Existence, a wholly transcendent way of Being. It is not that nonduality isn't real. It just isn't the Most Real, the Person who does deserve a place by one's hearth in constant repose and communion with the householder.

pax,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very good answer.

Johnnie, tell him what he's won...

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
re: philosophies, phenomenologies, metaphysics, mysticisms and theologies and their various schools and traditions

So, to some extent, each of these schools grew out of a post-experiential reflection of some sort, on a direct mystical insight or an indirect philosophical insight, and articulated its insights in stark relief to the other schools, as a critique of the other schools' insights.

What grounds all of these critiques? In and of themselves they are not the ground . There is no room for a facile syncretism or a simple epistemological pluralism. The trick is to properly nurture the creative tension(s) between the respective critiques, to properly validate or invalidate, emphasize or deemphasize, them in a truly universal way.

So, I admit. I was expecting someone to step forth to defend Aristotle! especially as interpreted by Aquinas! Big Grin

pax,
jb

posted Hide Post
OK. So much for all of this ontological metaphysics about esse, essence and esse subsistens per se. Who/What was Jesus, metaphysically, Phil (w/o using operating system metaphors) Wink

posted Hide Post
Well, OK.

The kingdom of heaven is like a car that was running on impure gasoline which ruined the engine. The Mechanic replaced the engine and filled the tank with a higher octane fuel and the car ran better than ever!

Or, the kingdom of heaven is like a bitter pecan tree, which grew in the swamps of Louisiana and made lots of fruit, but very bitter. The Arborist came and cut that tree at its base, then grafted a sweet pecan twig into the stump. The twig grew and became a large tree, filled with sweet sap and tasty fruit, and the birds of the air made their nests in it.

Using parables such as these, he attempted to explain complex ontological issues to the people of his day. They could not comprehend, however, as their minds had been closed by the narrow rationalism of scientific materialists, not to mention the corrupting influence of the liberal media and Xboxes!

Big Grin Razzer

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, I admit. I was expecting someone to step forth to defend Aristotle! especially as interpreted by Aquinas!

And I was expecting someone to ask me why non-duality was not on my hit list earlier, particularly since the notions of "anything goes" and non-judgmentalism are natural bedfellows with Buddhism and non-dualistic thinking, particularly since Buddhism has been infiltrated to a great extent by leftist ideology.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using parables such as these, he attempted to explain complex ontological issues to the people of his day.

Any thoughts I had that JB was actually Jesus posting on this forum incognito have now been dispelled.

Or, the kingdom of heaven is like a bitter pecan tree, which grew in the swamps of Louisiana and made lots of fruit, but very bitter. The Arborist came and cut that tree at its base, then grafted a sweet pecan twig into the stump. The twig grew and became a large tree, filled with sweet sap and tasty fruit, and the birds of the air made their nests in it.

That's a good one. Thanks to JB's request we avoided the obvious OS X = the redeemer analogies where spinning beachballs test our faith that the processes behind the scene have not abandoned us and that transparent menus and windows point us toward the transcendent nature of our being. Boy, that was a close call.

posted Hide Post
No, I am NOT Jesus. I AM, however, the Apostle to the Geeks, in much the same way as John, before me, was to the Greeks. Each of us Evangelists has a different audience (or should I say had ?

posted Hide Post
or should I say had ?

No. I just can't follow such complex thoughts at the moment. My mind needs to idle a while.

posted Hide Post
My mind was being idle. Wink As for meself, I need to take care of some active and practical schtuff for awhile.

posted Hide Post
As for meself, I need to take care of some active and practical schtuff for awhile.

Hey, I recognize the code words for "hunting and fishing". You can just say it. No need to beat about the bush that you're going to beat about the bush. Have fun. Peace to you, JB.

posted Hide Post
Well, actually, my wife inherited this huge building that used to be a priest's rectory 100 years ago but not so in the past 40 years. It was variously occupied by tenants. So, we're leasing a 22' long dumpster ... ... Frowner And then we're donating it to an historical foundation in this little timbermill town Smiler I don't really hunt or fish but I do like to hit the nature trails. I'm hoping and praying I don't encounter too many signs of nature in this monstrosity of a building during cleanup thought Eeker

posted Hide Post
Good luck with that. I would help you if I could but unfortunately I�m a couple thousand miles away. Shucks. Nothing I like better than wrestling snakes and dodging spiders.

posted Hide Post
Here wrestle and/or dodge this:

oops! that was a violation of my yahoo tos
can't pull files to another site
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I would help you if I could but unfortunately I�m a couple thousand miles away.

Hey! That reminds me!

Phil's coming to bayou country just over a week from now Razzer

posted Hide Post
Phil's coming to bayou country just over a week from now

You guys have fun, now. No talking about me behind my back. Wink If I wasn't such a poor traveler I'd join you. Do they have airports in Louisiana?

posted Hide Post
can't pull files to another site

I was going to mention that the links weren't working but I didn't quite know if it pointed to a joke or it was legitimate homework.

posted Hide Post
Ha. Actually, the Baton Rouge airport has been in renovation stage for so long I can't remember what it looked like before.

Yes, it will be nice to visit, JB. Next time we're in the NW, we'll have to hook up, Brad. What knows what questions, answers and cosmologies we will discuss (whew - back on thread! Wink )

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss-posted. Hum de dah. What shall I say. JB will never believe this isn't an attempt to stay ahead of him.

posted Hide Post
Next time we're in the NW, we'll have to hook up, Brad.

I'm not intimately familiar with the intricacies of bayou slang. I understand you "hook up" a lot of chickens down there in LOOZ-e-an-uh. On the other hand, hanging upside down with all that blood rushing to my brain, I might understand JB better.

Seriously, I'm really kind of a very private person (No, I'm not writing this from a jail cell. Honestly, JB. The things you say.). It's not easy for me to do certain things and I know y'all can't understand that but rest assured that I have a great affection for the both of you.

posted Hide Post
Oh, that's not to say you're not welcome to the Great Northwest. I'll throw a geoduck on the barbie. Wink

posted Hide Post
Seriously, I'm really kind of a very private person (No, I'm not writing this from a jail cell. Honestly, JB. The things you say.). It's not easy for me to do certain things and I know y'all can't understand that but rest assured that I have a great affection for the both of you.

Ahh, we're getting questions and answers, even if not cosmologies. Wink I understand! But as I told you via email, we'll pass on the bungie jumping marathon this time and just have you join us for beer and a burger in the Seattle airport. Bring your bbq geoduck if you'd like (reader, beware if you google this--don't say I didn't warn you).

But, yes, I do understand. Private person here, too, despite what all the cyberactivity suggests. I somethings think cyberspace gives introverts an ideal forum for self-expression and relating--just as much as I want, when I want, thank you very much . . . Sometimes when I wake up and look at my wife next to me and consider that we've had 3 kids and we have this nice home, I ask myself, "How did that happen? I'm the guy who lives in a cabin waay back in the forest, spending long, quiet days in meditation, reading, birdwatching, gardening, messing around on my Powerbook, and otherwise keeping to myself." Guess that's why there are also extraverts in this world . . . to drag people like me into the "real world" or whatever. Wink

posted Hide Post
I guess I'm supposed to reciprocate and yield up all of this personal schtuff in some type of introspective reflection, but I won't be tricked. I am just far too tmid, a loner, sociable but not social, an Enneagram 4 or 5, probably a 5 with a 4 wing, a Jungian thinker, Myers-Briggs INTP but not a 4th function feeler by any means who began with Budweiser when Phil was drinking Falstaff then switched to Coors then Michelob Ultra when he switched to O'Doul's, spending most of my days and nights ... ... Hey, wait a second Eeker

posted Hide Post
JB squelched: I guess I'm supposed to reciprocate and yield up all of this personal schtuff in some type of introspective reflection�

Phil moderated: Ahh, we're getting questions and answers, even if not cosmologies.

Sorry. My mistake. I thought this was "Questions, Answers & Cosmetologies". That subject always sends me into girlish gossiping. So�what questions about Cosmo would you like answered, JB? Have you read "10 Ways to put the Big Bang back into your Ontology?" in the June issue?

posted Hide Post
Kinda risque!

You're going to make somebody blush!

No, I don't read those magazines, except for browsing their covers in the check-out line at the grocery store. I do look at the pictures though!