Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prayer/Robert J. Wicks Login/Join 
Picture of AnnieK
posted
A book called "Touching the Holy" by Robert J. Wicks came into my possesion this past week. One
day during lunch, I had been talking to colleagues about an article I had read on "ordinariness." Here is a link for the article that I had read.

http://www.ronrolheiser.com/arc102801.html

Well, the next day, one of my colleages brought me this book by Robert J. Wicks--which I took to immediately.

Here is a part of the book I read this morning which I really liked. The author says:

When asked how long a period of time (spent in prayer) this should be, the answer I give is:
"Set a goal of ten to twenty minutes, but always spend at least two minutes." This is often received with skepticism, because people generally feel they owe much more time to God than that (which of course is true), and they often make such comments to me. My response is:
"If you are anything like me, despite your good intentions, I don't trust that you will do it on a regular basis; yet simple constant deeds are always more meaningful than rarely fulfilled great promises of fidelity. Besides, in time, a faithful schedule of a few moments of daily prayer will set the stage for a more mature relationship with God in which more time will be desired and spent in stillness with the Lord."

Pretty good stuff, huh? Especially for somebody like me who has been struggling to be faithful to daily prayer.

When I asked my friend how she had found the book, she said, "That's a good story." One afternoon she had gone to take her turn for an hour's devotion in her church, but she had forgotten to bring something along to read/pray with. This book was laying on a shelf in the church. She picked it up, and read it that day, and then put it back when she was finished. The next time she came back for devotion, the book was gone. Later she ordered her own copy.

Remember, Phil, when you said something about the books you need turning up when you need them. It
happened more than once in this case. Smiler

Has anybody else read any stuff by Wicks??

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a very good quote from Wicks, Anne.

And yes, it's amazing how the universe seems to respond to our desires--something to be careful about, in some ways.

OTOH, we have the assurance of Rm. 8:28, that for those who love God, all things shall conspire for the good.

Thanks for starting this thread. What other good reads have some of you come into lately?

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am probably rather behind here but I have recently discovered Joyce Rupp. One of my favorites is May I Have This Dance? It begins in with a meditation of Ezekiel 37:5 - on bones of all things and her opening poem so addresses a place that many of us find ourselves at that I simply had to have this book. To quote the beginning:

there I am
in Ezekiel's valley,
one heap among many,
just another stack
of old, dry bones.

How many of us can identify with this...! How many of us simply cannot or maybe will not find the time to be in relationship - have found ourselves in these desert days... It's a very good read!

Posts: 278 | Location: Pennslyvania | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AnnieK
posted Hide Post
Hi Wanda,

Hey...it just so happens that there is an endorsement by Joyce Rupp on that back of my book, recommending my book!! It says that she has
written another book called "Praying our Goodbyes." This connects my book to your book.
Another coincidence.

Tell me more about your book. I'm really interested.

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anne... this is rather amazing! When I read the exerpt from your book.. I decided that I wanted to pick up a copy and check it out. Anyhow, Joyce has written several books.. This one is a combination of poetry, personal reflections, meditations, prayers and suggestions grouped around the months of the year. It is a beautiful invitation to prayer or as the cover puts it - "to join with God in the dance of life, an invitation to experience God in the daily and seasonal rhythms of life."
Two other books I have really enjoyed by her are: Your Sorrow is My Sorrow and The Cup of our Life. The first a reflection on the sorrows of Mary and the second a guide for individual and group prayer. What can I say? I loved them all.

Posts: 278 | Location: Pennslyvania | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post