New
Find
Notify
Tools

"...if thine eye be single..." Login/Join 
posted
Hi All,

I'm reflecting lately on this often overlooked verse:

"The lamp of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light."
--From the sermon on the mount. Matthew 6:22

On another thread, Embrace wrote:

"This one little piece of scripture would, for whatever reason, become a most central piece of my belief system after first reading it when an adolescent.

My experiences of light, sound and divine majesty come in mediation are beautiful - and I am exceedingly thankful for them. But as we all know, it is one thing to be given insight, understanding and heavenly beauty in meditative practices - and quite another to carry that into the world in our everyday life.

I like to think that here Jesus was referring to being undivided and whole, the body and mind and heart in equanimity, the inside the same as the outside, the personal unconscious and conscious, one - the entrie focus of our being stayed on the law of love - so that we may exemplifly that in the world. Something like that."

Embrace, your comment is packed with spiritual insight and maturity. I'm grateful to have met you here. Thanks so much for sharing.

Concerning that little verse, you wrote that it has "...become a most central piece of my belief system..." I'm still pretty new to that verse, new to focusing on it, that is. But, I have been thinking something similar to what you have said. I've been thinking that that verse has quickly become central to my interpretation of the sermon on the mount. At the same time, in my daily meditation, there is a joyful sense of a light at my eyebrow center that emanates out thought my whole body. And that light has become central to my meditation.

Here is one example of how that verse has influence my interpretation of other verses in the sermon. In is written:

"When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites. They neglect their appearance, so that they may appear to others to be fasting. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden. And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you."

Saturday evening I had such a strong experience of of that light through my body, that I wanted to start a fast. That desire is fairly new to me. I did not want digestion to interfere with my prayer experience. I spent the day Monday studying the sermon on the mount. And only then did I think about the verse above. It stuck me that I was indeed fasting for a hidden reward, just like the verse advises, but I had begun the fast because I was enjoying the inner light, not because I had read the teaching about fasting first.

I think that is enough of an intro.

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan, this is a good topic. I'm away on vacation with limited time and Internet. I'll join the discussion in a few days. You all carry on.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!"

This morning, when I began meditation, I did not see the perceptible inner light at my eyebrow center when I lifted my eyes.

Of course, the next verse came to mind. Is this lack of perceptible light "bad", is this a case the "light" in me being "darkness?"

Furthermore, "light" per se is not necessarily good: Satan is called an angel of light.

Here is where I fall back on faith. If it is my intention to serve a God who is good, then I gently return to my intention in prayer. Perceptible inner light and inner lack of light then becomes less of an anxiety producer. This is an act of faith, "blind faith."

Maybe this is where the teaching, "resist not evil" can apply to the inner life. If what we do is love, and we love not only those who do good to us, but also those who do evil, then the thing to do is keep loving, regardless. This is an act of love, non-judgmental love.

Later in the morning the glorious light returned. It is not a case of either it is here forever or gone forever. The perception comes and goes. So, even when it is gone, there is still plenty of room for hope.

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other; or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You can't serve both God and Mammon" Matthew 6:24

For a fine commentary on the word mammon, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammon

Am I felling blessed because of God's love? Or could it be riches that gives me this feeling?

I count myself among the "rich" -- the materially privileged of the world, not only in my time, but in relation to the historical past.

Note for discernment: If during my meditation, I'm strategizing how to make more money, something is amiss.

One thing seems fairly clear to me. The lights-on meditation shifts my focus away from outer material attractions. In that respect, it does not seem to be devoted to mammon.

posted Hide Post
I have struggled for quite some time now with the concept of wealth and how that relates to my life as a Christian. While I am not rich per say, I have more material wealth than millions of others living in my country. If I compare what I have with what others around me have, I have a lot.

I am often severely challenged by the stories of Christians who have given it all up for Christ,Rachoff is one of my favorites.

I often ask myself whether Christ would be happy with how I live in comparison with how others around me live.

...I struggle to find peace with regards to this...in a world of extreme wealth and extreme poverty how do I show the poor that I see their situation as wrong and aggravated by the economics of the rich, while I still live in that system and benefit from it. I think this is why saints and mystics tend to renounce material wealth for the sake of the kingdom.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children..."

"You brood of vipers! how can you speak good, when you are evil?"

"On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do mighty works in your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me you evildoers.' Every one then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who..."

This series of teaching is perplexing to me, for in the sermon, it is also said, "By their fruits you shall know them..."

What sorts of fruits? Do they give good gifts to their children? Not sufficient: Even the evil know how to give what is good to their children.
Do they use the holy name to cast our demons? Not sufficient. Wow, that calls into question a lot of what we might call "fruit." Providing a good upbringing for your children, and doing wonders with the power of the holy name are often regarded as good fruit indeed.

But we can't discern by that criterion.

posted Hide Post
Some have said it is related to whether our lives have been a complete reliance and surrender to God. Or whether mammon has been the real king of our daily lives while we left God in the "spiritual realm".

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacques:
[qb]I am often severely challenged by the stories of Christians who have given it all up for Christ,Rachoff is one of my favorites.[/qb]
Reading Rachoff, I came to a section that addresses the distinction between outward "fruit" and inward transformation based on becoming sons and daughters of God:

"Praying is religion enough," (said the priest), "Anyone can do it."
No," insisted Rachoff, "it is not enough. Jesus who is only there for people to pray to is an idol in the clouds. And what good is that? We must help each villager to receive him in his heart, his eyes, his hands. We must let his love live right here among us. He is already at work. Look at Taras, or at Anissa. Look at almost every other. Jesus has made his home with them; they have become sons and daughters of God."

posted Hide Post
Exactly, Rachoff really lived his Christianity. I don't know if I can say the same. The place that I feel this the most is how I live compared to those around me. The first Christians sold all their belongings and lived together in community. We don't do that anymore and are told by our priest and pastors that this "excessive" behaviour is no longer required. But what if it is still required?

What about these other "excessive" statements of Jesus, how do we rationalise or excuse ourselves from taking these points to heart, how do we "spiritualise" them so that all that is required from us is an active prayer life "anyone can do it"

Where do we find our security?:

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. Matthew 6:19

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear�for the pagans run after all these things� Therefore do not worry about tomorrow. Matthew 6:25,32,4

Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay His head. Another disciple said to Him, �Lord, first let me go and bury my father.� But Jesus told him, �Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.� Matthew 8:20-22

-Jesus had very little concern for the �security/livelihood� of the established world. Matthew 8:28-34

Jesus had very little concern for the legalistic application of the law- i.e. the �security/livelihood� of the established church. Matthew 9:1-8; 12:1-14; 15:1-14

- Jesus had very little concern for His reputation � how others perceived Him. Matthew 9:9-12; 11:19

Freely you have received, freely give. Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or staff; for the worker is worth his keep. Matthew 10:8-10

�do not worry about what to say or how to say it. Matthew 10:19

Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. All men will hate you because of me. Matthew 10:21-22

When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Matthew 10:23

If the head of the house is called Beelzebub, how much more the members of His household------But the Pharisees said, �It is by the prince of demons that He drives out demons�-------�But when the Pharisees heard this, they said, �It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demons.� Matthew 10:24-25; 9:34; 12:24

For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, �He has a demon�. Matthew 11:18 � compare with: 11:11

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body�Matthew 10:28

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven. Matthew 10:32

He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. Matthew 12:30

Do not suppose I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to being peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law- a man�s enemies will be the members of his own household. Matthew 10:35-36

Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Matthew 10:37-38

Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of me. Matthew 11:6

At that time Jesus said, �I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed then to little children.� Matthew 11:25

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

I tell you that One greater than the temple is here. Matthew 12:6 ---- compare with: John 11:45-50

- Jesus did not argue or entertain the games of His manipulators and slanderers. This was the laying down of the right to immediate external security that comes from legitimate self-justification. Matthew 12:15-21

Who is my mother and who are my brothers? Matthew 12:46-50

The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. Matthew 13:20-22

The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy he went and sold all he had and bought that field. Again, the kingdom of heaven is lie a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. Matthew 13:44-46

And they took offense at Him. But Jesus said to them, �Only in his hometown and in his own house is a prophet without honour.� Matthew 13:57

I confess that I often feel inadequate in my response to many of these statements.

posted Hide Post
Those are the "hard" scriptures I know so well, and am puzzled as to how to follow.

For my own path, I'm fairly confident in this: be faithful in marriage; as a man, make your wife a priority over your family of origin; it is ok not to visit your family of origin; pray in the Spirit of love; be open to a "call" that is spiritual; live within your means, way within; live in a neighborhood that is "poor" compared to what you could afford, preferably a neighborhood that is mainly non-white; but remember, as a man, that your house is your wife's not your own, so choose a place that works with her criterion of livability; if people from your family of origin visit you, welcome them, give them your full attention, but if you live in a poor neighborhood, they won't visit often.

posted Hide Post
I resonate with what you say Ryan, about marriage and about our choices regarding money and how/where we live.

posted Hide Post
Hello, Ryan;

You are welcome. Thank you for your comments and thank you, too, for sharing.

I still have that copy of my bible from my adolescence, nearly 30 years old and chock full of the footprints left by the highlights of my pen. At that time, it was a hearing of something profound (without then knowing how I "heard") that left an indelible impression in my being. I read Jesus' words as though he was brother (and very personal) to me. I had a spiritual and charismatic capacity that exceeded my young, conscious understanding - yet it was felt and somehow known and would never leave me. But I must say, I am actually new to studying the bible, again. Like so many who have had profound spiritual awakening experiences, I looked here and I looked there for understanding, but a turn of events returned me to my roots - my first love, hope and mainstay in life. Having had myself so "spread out," in a manner of speaking, I am now working to discern God's will for my life.

I like what you shared of your experience over the weekend. From what you have described, it seems to have been of a spontaneous nature.

I have periods where it is as though the Holy Spirit is praying me, if you will, and I need to be mindful to take nourishment and see to the body's needs. So, in that sense, my fasts (but a very few) have all been spontaneous in nature. I also see them as periods of cleansing, which is perhaps what ultimately brings the singularity.

This line of sharing also moves me to consider how it is that the journey can sometimes be lonely, with so few to share the inner depths of it with - for so many just would not understand or see it in the right light. Having said that, it also reminds me of the days when I felt I was supposed to share it all with everybody and hence shared too much, or in the wrong manner, looking for that reward among company. Yes, I feel God's purpose is that which the heart should be seeking and that He should be one's first friend and constant companion.

I think I agree that the verse ("The lamp of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.") is central to the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount, as well as so many teachings that endeavor to point the way.

It is good to meet you, too.

Kristi

p.s. Embrace is a moniker I was using in my life at the time when I registered on the forum some few years ago. It was short for "Embrace (Life) with Love. You may address me with either name.

Posts: 9 | Location: Olathe, KS | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear friends,

Thank you for sharing all your thoughts and insights.

I like your interpretation, Kristi, on the meaning of this scripture.
----------------------------------
I like to think that here Jesus was referring to being undivided and whole, the body and mind and heart in equanimity, the inside the same as the outside, the personal unconscious and conscious, one - the entrie focus of our being stayed on the law of love - so that we may exemplifly that in the world. Something like that.
---------------------------------------------

Seems to me there are people who are walking out their calling to bring heaven to earth. They are indeed singularly focussed, but not necessarily neurosis-free, as in fully integrated. They have a clear, unwavering vision of their small part in Christ's mission to save the world.

Ryan,

I like your summary of right living... though I don't think a lot of in-laws would agree with all of it. Wink
Smiler

Ryan, I've had the same experience you describe of wanting to fast so that digetion does not interrupt a blissful state, like something needs to be undisturbed by excess bodily noise. Also, in the past few years, I feel a sort of "spirit of fasting" come upon me from time to time, unbidden, when I feel I am preparing to intercede for others, and the fasting seems to "power up" my praying. When this spirit of fasting comes upon me and I am not at all hungry, it is clearly a gift.

I notice, too, it is easier to fast around those who have built it into their lifestyle. And according to what Jesus said, "when you fast", not "if", it sounds like fasting was part of the disciple's lifestyle, maybe baked into right living.

Jacques,

Those are some hard scriptures, indeed. I've struggled with some of them too. (Thanks for compiling that list). Goes back to our needing to walk between mystery and revelation, I guess.

much peace to you all!
Shasha

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the tune of Both sides now, by Joni Mitchell:

sparkling lights of love so pure
the kingdom knocking at my door
consulation ever sure
Ive looked at God that way.

but now my inner light is dark
lust and anger everywhere
resist the evil, keep the law
until a brighter day

I've heard the word from
both sides now
from up and down
and still somehow
faiths secret longing
I recall,
I really don't know God
at all

posted Hide Post
"... to promote good order and unhindered devotion to the Lord." St. Paul, (1 Cor. 35:7)

When I'm in a lights-on condition of ecstatic devotional bliss, the thought of giving away all my possessions seems just fine. I'm not worried about tomorrow, and like the birds and the flowers, on a sunny day, I enjoy the passing moment as if it were an eternity.

But when the inner lights go out, I see my condition in a more sober way. I need some personal possessions: a house, a wardrobe, a store of food, a rainy day fund and even a retirement account. Throwing all that away would disrupt good order.

How do I live in a way that embraces the chairos (timeless time) moments of lights-on joy while acomodating life in chronological time? With that question in mind, Paul's paradoxical "live as though" sayings start making more sense. He writes: ...let those who have wives be as though they had none, and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice, as though they were not rejoicing and those who buy as if they had no possessions, and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away."

In the "live as though" life, you maintain your marriage, your possessions and your business in the world. You keep "good order." Meanwhile, with a view for unrestrained devotion, there is a sense living "as though" there were no such involvements. That really fits the lights on condition: it is as though for a time, it is just the transcendent soul and the beloved, and all else takes a holiday.

Kristi, I'm so grateful for your offering. Really words cannot express...

And Jacques and Shasha, your friendship is wonderful.

In this writing, the lights are on, but I know this shall pass. Even so, Oh how I enjoy the delights. I wish everyone could have a taste.

Peace in Christ,

posted Hide Post
Ryan, I love those comments, and I think I agree with your live as though theology. It seems to reduce some of the paradox in those difficult passages.

Shasha, the list was a pleasure, though not compiled by me, rather by a close friend while he was reflecting on the meaning of security in Christ vs security in the world.

I love you all very much.
God bless

posted Hide Post
Ryan,

you write:

When I'm in a lights-on condition of ecstatic devotional bliss, the thought of giving away all my possessions seems just fine. I'm not worried about tomorrow, and like the birds and the flowers, on a sunny day, I enjoy the passing moment as if it were an eternity.

But when the inner lights go out, I see my condition in a more sober way. I need some personal possessions: a house, a wardrobe, a store of food, a rainy day fund and even a retirement account. Throwing all that away would disrupt good order.
------------------------------------------

It's a good question about what is "good order."

Let me share with you something I would never have believed would happen to me. I was worshipping in my car a few months ago. Suddenly the Lord brought to my attention a woman from my church, Emily Swan. Now, I didn't know Emily very well at all, but she played the guitar at a prayer gathering at my house a few weeks earlier where we joined to pray for a missionary family who were heading off to Turkey.

In this moment while I was worshipping, I felt a shower of love for Emily and the Lord spoke to me: "Everything that belongs to you, I want you to offer to Emily."

My mind shot up. What?! Everything? How can that be, Lord? You mean my house, my car, my bank account? It didn't make sense...what am I supposed to do, go up to Emily and say, "Everything I own belongs to you...the Lord has made it plain to me." No, it didn't make sense...I wasn't about to do that...but I couldn't deny that it was God's voice and His Love for Emily that surged through me, no question about it.

No knowing what to do, I just dropped the matter and did not act on it. A few weeks ago, I received a form letter from Emily Swan which was sent to folks at our church. She explained that she would be going on an extended mission trip overseas and needed X-thousands of dollars and would we offer her money and prayers to support her?

I almost fell over! WOW! God is no fake, no liar, no game-player. I wrestled with this still, thinking "X-thousands of dollars is a lot of money"...I'd have to cash out a CD...surely there are others in the church who could give some portion of it...But no! I KNOW I heard God speak to me...to not give her all the money would be pretending it was not God I heard...there was no choice but obedience....truthfully, I felt a little bit uneasy getting the money, writing the check, dropping it off at church...then I felt compelled to write Emily an e-mail telling her why I was giving her the money and that she could have anything that belonged to me, just as I had heard God speak.

As soon as I hit the "send" button on this letter, all the uneasiness and uncertainty completely drained out of me. God's command is a kind of burden until it is fully discharged, and this email seemed to finish off the job...establishing good order.

Good order....

I am not particularly greedy with my money, no more than the next guy, but I would *never* have given that much money if He had not specifically prepared me to do so.

Recently God spoke to me: You have everything to give and nothing that you have will be lost.

Big shift for me, hard to believe, but consistent with scripture.

Thank you, Father. Thank you, Jesus.

Posts: 352 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 24 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

you wrote:

In this writing, the lights are on, but I know this shall pass. Even so, Oh how I enjoy the delights. I wish everyone could have a taste.
-----------------------------------------------

The lights-on, devotional rapture is not just a reward or gift, but is building a foundation in you, as I'm sure you know.

He has brought you here only to bring you higher.

posted Hide Post
I'm reminded of the "build your house on the rock" parable. What seems solid in the world is passing, shifting like sand. Though it may seem ephemeral at times, the union of love with our Father in heaven is solid as a rock.

Your story of feeling called to share of "all" your worldly possessions in that way really fits the idea of building your house on the rock: and you not only heard the call but acted on it.

It is one thing to say during lights-on prayer, that all my possessions are God's, but it is another to soberly consider sharing generously, count the cost with due consideration for "good order" and then go on and give. Light's-on prayer builds part of the foundation, sober acts of faith are also important.

posted Hide Post
Well said, brother.

Thank you.