Moderators: Phil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vocation Discernment Login/Join 
posted
I am trying to discern a vocation. I know there are some nifty types here who would know much.

I live in Australia. I just turned 29.

I am extremely prayerful/contemplative, on a good day I will pray throughout the day, interspersed w. my other activities . On a bad day I will still pray for a couple of hours.

I am interested in missionary work as well, I have been talking to different orders. I am talking to the Carmelites tomorrow which I'm quite excited about, with their contemplative focus.

I initially thought I'd like to be a Friar. My focus on prayer makes me realise I may however fit best as a Monk.

I am interested in the following things:

-renewing a sense of beauty, joy & mystery to our Church (we want souls!)
-missionary work
-music/poetry/writing/theology
-gardening

I wonder if anyone would know of something, or an Order that could help me combine some of these interests. This may not be what God is calling me to do, but it would at least give me more info at this early stage.

Ultimately as long as I had time for contemplation each day I would be okay.

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hi Jules.

With a love for prayer as you have, it does seem that a lifestyle that affords you time for such should be a priority. Whether or not this is with a religious community is a secondary issue. Some contemplative types have found it possible to be married, hold down a job, raise children, etc. -- the whole 9 yards. This requires an extremely understanding spouse, however, but it is possible.

Among the religious communities, it seems the Trappists, Benedictines and Carmelites are most oriented toward a contemplative monasticism. It's difficult to say how much time you'd have to pursue your interests; gardening, for example, might well be a task you could be assigned to work with.

Keep up your research and let us know how your discernment unfolds.

- Phil

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil Smiler

Well, I found an interesting extremely prayerful organisation that considers itself part of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal - apparently related to the outpouring of the Spirit post-Vatican II.

They're called Missionaries of God's Love, a recent Australian order.
http://mglpriestsandbrothers.org/

As someone who is a little bit skeptical of Charismatic movements (on their webby it says they highly value 'prophesying' as direct encouragements from God... any opions on that?) I'm a tad cautious but still keen.

I guess I've come to think it was sensible of St. Phillip (a noted reciever of the Spirit) to admonish those who 'chase after visions' or 'consolations' but who knows? the NT is full of Jesus' instructions to heal & perform miracles in his name, right?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: werewolfJules,

Posts: 3 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hi Jules,

I've never heard of this order, but checked out the web site. There aren't many charismatic orders, so that's unique. Charismatic prophecy is emphasized in the New Testament, and an authentic prophet can be a great gift to a community.

I'm sure they have a discernment process they would go through with you. Might be worth a try. Is the main attraction for you the Australian location?

Peace, Phil

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post