Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A. Welcome and Orientation Login/Join

posted

------------------

To purchase a CD of this material, go to http://shalomplace.com/inetmin/mysteries/cd.html

------------------

Welcome to this presentation on the Christian Mysteries!

We call these the Christian mysteries because they express truths which have been revealed to us by God, and, hence, are greater than we could fathom using our rational intelligence. It should be noted that the term �Christian mysteries� is sometimes used in reference to liturgical dramas, but that is not our concern in this series. Rather, the mysteries we shall explore pertain to our human condition before God: what we were created to be, how sin has affected our humanity and culture, and how God has reconciled the human race to Himself through the saving works of Jesus Christ.

Most likely, this will not be the first time you�ve thought about these mysteries, so it�s possible that this will be mostly review for you. What I hope to do, however, is to help deepen your grasp of these sacred truths through the use of images which display the concepts in graphical terms. This will enable a visual dimension of encounter with the concepts to supplement the teaching provided. I will also attempt to present the information in a modern, up-to-date form, so that, for example, when we discuss a mystery such as the creation of human beings, we will relate this to evolution, paleontology, and other disciplines.

For some slides, there will be two different sound narrative options. One will provide a short summary of the ideas and will be represented by audio option A; the other will be a more in-depth reflection and will be represented by audio option B.

This presentation series is designed to provide an overview for adults who want to update and deepen their understanding of some of the basic teachings of Christianity. Unto this end, it is being offered on the Internet in conjunction with a discussion forum, where participants will be able to share their questions, comments, and insights with one another.

The format enables you to study at your own pace--even to skip around, as you are moved to do. You can listen to the presentations more than once if you find that helpful, and even print the slides if you�d like. None of this material may be reproduced without permission, however. Please contact me via the shalomplace.com web site if you have a request about reproducing the material.

Each slide will have questions for reflection and discussion. If you would like someone to journey with you to review and process this material, see our web page on spiritual direction at http://shalomplace.com/direction/ . We have several excellent spiritual directors to choose from.

That�s it for welcome, orientation, and announcements. I hope you enjoy using this resource and find it helpful unto stimulating growth in your faith and understanding.

Philip St. Romain, M.S., D. Min.
September 29, 2003

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi
I am unable to play GIF's on the machine that I am using and was wondering if I could buy a copy of the transcripts of the recordings. The slides look great.

Posts: 205 | Location: McHenry Illinois | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
brjaan, the sound files are .rm files. You need Real Player to listen to them. Be sure to search around for the Free version; usually a small link in the upper right. Your computer might even have it already.

I do plan to make all this available in CD format sometime soon, with the sound files as MP3s.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The CD is now ready for purchase.

See http://shalomplace.com/inetmin/mysteries/cd.html

posted Hide Post
Hi Phil
I have decided to walk through the mysteries again tackling one a week.

Posts: 205 | Location: McHenry Illinois | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This section of the site is highly under-rated! Smiler

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am struggling to play the audio clips of each thread using real player, it keeps giving me an error message. Could someone please play one and tell me if the problem is on my side.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post