Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E. Solitude and Silence Login/Join

posted
Click here for the lesson on these disciplines. Several links to additional web pages will point you to other references on this topic.

------------

Reflection and Discussion

1. How do you feel when solitude and silence are in short supply in your life?

2. What are your experiences in practicing the kinds of disciplines recommended in this lesson?

3. Have you ever been on a silent retreat? If so, what effect did it have on you?

4. What other practices help you find solitude and silence in your life?

5. How do solitude and silence enable your experience of God?

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solitude and silence have become very, very important in my life. It is only in silence and solitude that I can hear God and by hearing him, I can do his will. Too much noise agitates and disturbs the spirit and when the spirit is disturbed, so is the body.

Posts: 5 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When solitude and silence are in short supply, my whole personality changes and I genuinely seek out a time of solitude and silence. If it gets too "noisy" in my life, I become short tempered and distracted which illustrates the old saying about "if momma's happy, everyone's happy". Without solitude and silence this momma isn't happy which means my family figures they probably oughta stay in the living room while I'm in the kitchen..lol. (More truth to that than I care to admit sometimes!)

Because of our profession, the manner in which I experience these disciplines usually involves being outside in God's creation. It still amazes me at how rejuvenating it is to simply "be" out in nature reflecting on the Creator and the sheer magnitude of His artistic hand.

When I'm in the house I find time for these disciplines by shutting off all the noise! No t.v., stereo, radio to clutter my mind. Then I can sit back either with scripture or without, depending on which way I'm drawn. With scripture I like to read and absorb what I've read then approach God in prayer to "discuss" it. Without scripture, I think I actually do still recall scripture to mind and meditate on it.

For me, silence and solitude enable me to experience God by enabling me to hear the still small Voice that whispers to me. In listening for that Voice, it seems that I experience His presence on a little different level than when I am not listening.

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I very much relate to your posts, Terri and PG. Without a considerable amount of silence in my life, I feel pretty unfocused and out of sorts--not to mention out of touch with that "still small Voice" Terri alluded to. It's become an essential for me.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

At this time in my life the solitude is much more important than the silence. If I don't have some time in the house alone I get really cranky. I can go out to places by myself....even go for a walk by myself...but ultimately I need time alone IN MY HOME. I'm not sure why.

3. Have you ever been on a silent retreat? If so, what effect did it have on you?

This past summer I went on a silent retreat for two days. The experience helped me to realize how very little I needed in order to be happy. I was sort of hit over the head with this notion and it has had a profound effect on me. Since then...I can look at "things" or even situations and say to myself, "I don't need that to be happy." And I really know that it's true. This has brought more peace to my life. My life seems less complicated now.

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a space of time here and was catching up on some threads. Rereading this bit on solitutde and silence brought some things to mind. Just before Thanksgiving I lost my voice for 8 days, not even a squeak, then it came back slowly and I still have to use it carefully. Often at the end of the day it is almost gone.

Here is how this all ties in. The days at home were very peaceful (I didn't even stress overly much on not being in my classroom.) I don't normally talk much other than my job and I dearly love being alone and quiet. The time at home and the unreal experience of moving around people without being able to talk was so unusual. IT gave me so much food for thought, and plenty of time to pursue some of these lines: Silence and solitude have become so necessary in my life that even my body will break down if I don't get enough. Or is it an example of Loving Providence making sure I have what I need even as I fight it? Or is it time to reflect on the little things we take for granted, like speaking? (How blessed is just normal existence). Does community depencd on communication, is talking the best form of communication. As a matter of fact, other than the incoveniece of not being at my job, being speechless was not much of a problem.

Earlier, as I was watching Advent approach, and being aware of how out of sorts and negative I was becoming due to a lack of solitutde and silence and the accompanying prayerfulness, I was desperate to find a solution. And it got handed to me in the most unusual way.

Posts: 6 | Location: Wichita | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Harried, out of center

Yes, it effected me by making me see how tuned in people could be to each other without the use of language.

Walking, washing dishes, house cleaning, exercise

5. How do solitude and silence enable your experience of God?

Allows me to hear what is already present but of which I loose awareness of oftentimes.

Sometimes I crave silence.

Tonya

Posts: 11 | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"1. How do you feel when solitude and silence are in short supply in your life?"

They never are. I have arranged my life so that they are center of my life.

I don't need a retreat. I am always in this moment. There is nothing else, and silence is always there, even in hectic life.

Abstinence of everything earthly. Eating simply, not working too much, putting spiritual always first.

5. How do solitude and silence enable your experience of God?"

God is very silent, being free of conflicts. It is impossible to know God if there is no silence in self.

Posts: 3 | Location: finland | Registered: 09 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Solitude and Silence. On Sunday afternoon here in Minnesota, Father Thomas Keating came. I go into silence as a part of my spiritual practice. I "do" contemplative prayer. I have no idea how many of us were sitting together in the sanctuary. A few hundred. Father Keating lead us in Contemplative Prayer (Centering Prayer). Silence. 20 minutes. I sit in silence with my God. Have been for years. Is it all that energy? Going deep at the same time? I have never expereinced anything like that and I wonder if it is because of the energy that we generated. All of us. Focusing on God. Desiring to come into God's Holy Presence all at the same time. Coming out was like -- coming up from the depths slowly ... Hearing Thomas Keating's voice saying the Lord's Prayer lovingly, with that beautiful, sonorous, full, gentle voice. Slowly ascending into consciousness.

I have read Father Keating for a couple of years and heard him speak about 3 years ago for the first time. What he has to say resonates with my spirit, my experience.

Silence for me is important. It has not always been so, has come and gone. Now it is jarring to be in a service with the loud music and the voices that are not gentle.

A protestant who needs the space at times of the hermit, the hermitage. The wife, mother, grandmother who needs the quiet time. I do not find it in my denomination, but I find it in my faith community. I am thankful that I can be the woman God is calling me to be. Silence in the midst of a busy life is a necessity for me. Having a chance to sit with others who find God as I do was a gift to me. I carry those moments with me and cherish them. Remember them. I am thankful.

Posts: 40 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mystics have arrived! Smiler Me so very happy!!! -mm

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, thank you for your sharing, Diane. I know what you mean, too, about quiet sitting in a group; it's as though the Spirit pools our silence, enabling all to benefit from it. Quite a gift! Smiler

posted Hide Post
I am reading the section above on meditation, centering prayer, contemplation, Fr. Keating. Fascinating. So much mentally I have not thought of. I used to live in my brain. Reason. God moved me into my heart. Now it is time for balance. My prayer life moved into infused contemplation before I knew there was such a thing - 7 to 10 years ago. Being the person I am, I started to read and found the Catholic Encyclopedia, the Saints, etc. (I did not go out of my head, just my prayer life did) I love to learn and to teach. However, when I resonate with something, when it matches my experiences, I go with it. It seems, I automaticly throw out what does not match - without much thought. I need to get back into the practice of awareness. Asking some what and why questions of myself. That is why this forum is so absolutely awesome. Opinions shared without criticism. (I came out of a home where criticism was shared but not affirmation) Very freeing. Opinions honored. Soooo, I am reading and learning, digesting and becoming aware of my opinions, beliefs, etc. Nice. There are probably a lot of - me's - out there reading, learning, growing, becoming, but not sharing that grew up where it was not "safe" to share your beliefs and so stopped. Hopefully, like me, they will come to a place in their lives where it is safe to share. I know not "everyone" is like me, but maybe a few are.

Sooooooo, thank you to all of you who share. I appreciate your brave souls and your wisdom.

Posts: 40 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opinions shared without criticism. (I came out of a home where criticism was shared but not affirmation) Very freeing. Opinions honored. Soooo, I am reading and learning, digesting and becoming aware of my opinions, beliefs, etc. Nice. There are probably a lot of - me's - out there reading, learning, growing, becoming, but not sharing that grew up where it was not "safe" to share your beliefs and so stopped. Hopefully, like me, they will come to a place in their lives where it is safe to share. I know not "everyone" is like me, but maybe a few are.

Diane, that's an extraordinary generous thing to say. I really do hope we live up to that standard. I think others do a superior job of this (Phil and Johnboy, for instance). Coming from a background where harsh criticism is the norm, it is easy to live that way, to bleed out all our bitter dissatisfactions in a constant stream of low-level cynicism. This I do often. And yet, and this is only my personal opinion (and certainly not a critique of anyone here since no one matches this description), to offer nothing but a stream of soft, uncontroversial "nicey-nice" platitudes is not the answer either. Somehow we must find a middle way, a way to say things of substance, even things that are quite contradictory and challenging to other positions, but to do so in a way that isn't unnecessarily venomous.

Posts: 5413 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diane, we could use a little heart around here, IMO
there is alot of head-stuff seeking more heart. Smiler

One of the longest journeys is the 18 inches between
the head and the heart...

caritas,

mm <*)))))><

Posts: 2559 | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad and MM. I can be very critical. I learned how very well. However, I choose (most times) not to use it. Control -- adult control?? I find that here. I hear choices being made to clarify, question, find out where the other person is coming from. When they are truly off base - offensive they are gone - which I am thankful for. But most times, heard and accepted as not me and thats ok. At times, a good catalyst is what is needed and thankfully people step up to the plate and ask the hard questions. Also, share the different opinions. God uses me as the catalyst - I am really not happy with this ?gift?? however, I have seen over and over again how God uses it for good. Mystical Michael, I resonate with you. I acknowledge that I am a mystic and I am learning that that is fun. Are there down sides, yes. Thats ok. Brad, in listening to you, I have come to respect you. You are honest and forthright and at times I do not agree with you and that is ok. I am learning that that is ok and that is good. I was reading on another thread where you two were saying that PSR will/maybe another FTK. I agree. Much wisdom and I am thankful. We have been given a forum to share our heart and head. It is good. The first time I wrote I almost hyperventilated and waited with bated breathe til a reply came and I was not cut down. Now, maybe I can hold my own - here and out there! We will see. Peace, D