ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Premium Groups  Hop To Forums  Contemplative Practice Support    T. Recommended books and resources
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T. Recommended books and resources Login/Join

posted Hide Post
For "darker elements" I really meant shaded, hidden parts rather than anything more sinister. Bad choice of words perhaps.

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I detecting a note of incredulity in people's reluctance to address this? Maybe it's just not that convincing? I'd love a bit of feedback here but if all we can do is reduce psychic phenomena to fit psychotherapeutic paradigms then maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Or am I just on the wrong thread?

Let's talk Jesus prayer versus a whole lotta evil . . .

Posts: 464 | Location: UK | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephen, "The Way of the Pilgrim" is a Christian mystical classic with centuries of positive appraisals from thousands of practitioners. It's not a controversial issue, imo. If you had a bad experience with the practice, then it's understandable that you can't recommend it, but I don't think you'll find many who would consider it a dangerous work.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the least bit criticising "Way of A Pilgrim." I think it's a beautiful book. I loved it. I've already said that. I'm asking for a bit of analysis, a bit of undertanding, a bit of dialogue about my own negative reaction to the Jesus prayer given the possibilty that what I report may be accurate and not reduced to archetype. I've also already said that I realise the prayer and the book have been a blessing to many others and only elaboratd my initial statement at Jacques' request. If no one's up for it, that's fine. No problem.

posted Hide Post
I hear you, Stephen, and I thought we'd had a few relevant exchanges. Do you think it might rate its own thread with a few questions from you to focus the discussion? That might help, as this thread is of a more general nature.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone recommend some books on dream interpretation?

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked Maria Mahoney's book, The Meaning in Dreams and Dreaming. I see you can get it on amazon for a penny! Smiler

posted Hide Post
Dreams: God's Forgotten Language (Paperback) by John Sanford is an interesting book. His is a Jungian viewpoint.

Posts: 10 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I was looking for a Christmas present for my wife. I didn't have enough time to order anything, as the delivery time to South Africa is sometimes delayed. I managed to get Morton Kelsey's Dreams: A way to listen to God. I seems a good buy so far. My wife has an amazingly active dream life, I am sure we will look into the other two suggestions in the future.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil:
[qb] I liked Maria Mahoney's book, The Meaning in Dreams and Dreaming. [/qb]
Thanks, Phil. I bought a copy and used it for personal reading on a new year retreat with my wife.

Posts: 455 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm about to start on a course of anti-malarial medication; I'm told that a side effect is extremely vivid dreams...I wonder if they "count"?
I, too liked Sandord's book.

Posts: 82 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<HeartPrayer>
posted
I don�t see why they shouldn�t. Isn�t the only difference that a catalyst is present?

There is a wonderful story about a man who was in therapy. At the start of each session, the therapist would ask him about his dreams. Frustrated at never being able to remember any of his dreams and having to come up blank, he finally made one up.

As the therapist started analysing the "dream", with his participation, it started touching some sensitive areas that he would just as soon avoid. So he blurted out:

"But I just made it up! It wasn�t a real dream at all!!"

"It doesn�t matter," said the therapist. "The source is the same."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved your story! I'm kind of looking forward to having some interesting, vivid dreams. Last night I dreamed at length about a chicken sandwich...hard to get much out of that!

Posts: 82 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<HeartPrayer>
posted
A chicken sandwich?

I am told that CG Jung once gave a lengthy interpretation about the symbology of onion soup. Wink Even the analyst, one of his students who retold the story at a lecture, felt the old man had climbed out onto a thin limb of irrelevancy.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
[qb] Am I detecting a note of incredulity in people's reluctance to address this? Maybe it's just not that convincing? I'd love a bit of feedback here but if all we can do is reduce psychic phenomena to fit psychotherapeutic paradigms then maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Or am I just on the wrong thread?

Let's talk Jesus prayer versus a whole lotta evil . . . [/qb]
Hi Stephen, do you think the woman in your dreams is a real person who is able to engage in spirit travel and interact with you in your dreams? I believe this is possible, and I know that if we are in Christ we can make the person leave in His Name...

I have been practicing the Jesus Prayer for several months, and had two experience that I would call "negative" that have lead me to modify my use of it... I was using it as a repetetive mantra, I was not using the Orthodox version of the prayer but was saying in my spirit "Lord Jesus, You are my Beloved and my Friend"... I had read of the Orthodox idea on "the mind in the heart" and was focusing on that as I said the prayer. During those two experiences I felt as if I was "losing my mind", for a lack of a better way to explain it and it scared me. I have now modified the use of the praye; I now say it much slower, and if I begin to sense the presence of Jesus then I stop saying the prayer and I just enjoy Him and love on Him. Since I have done this I have not had any negative experiences with the prayer... One very good book I read on the Jesus Prayer was "On the Invocation of the Name of Jesus" buy Lev Gillet. The book is a short read but was very helpful for me. I think my use of the Jesus Prayer is used something like centering prayer, but someting that is done during the day to keep my "mind set on the Spirit".

Blessing,

Caneman

Posts: 99 | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post