ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  Premium Groups  Hop To Forums  Contemplative Practice Support    B. Introductions and Gathering Space
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B. Introductions and Gathering Space Login/Join

posted
This is not required, of course, but it would be really nice to learn a little more about those who involved in this forum.

What I'd suggest is sharing your name, occupation, state in life, and what attracted you to sign up for this forum? Say as much or as little as you're comfortable sharing.

-----------

For more information about me, click here. In addition, I'll share that encouraging and supporting Christian contemplative practice has been a deep and abiding passion of mine for many years. This forum is enabling that in many exciting ways. I look forward to our journeying together. Smiler

Phil

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
johnboy, jb, here

I am here because I often forget the First Principles & Foundation of Ignatius, that is to say I need to better nurture a mindfulness of why I am created and better cultivate an awareness of all that entails in daily living. I said am created rather than was created, to better recall the ever-present nature of His supporting of my existence vis a vis His immanence in my being. Hopefully, through a deepening of contemplative practice, I can better realize the ever-present nature of Her calling me forth into relationship vis a vis Her transcendence and Infinite Appeal (double entendre) Wink

pax Christi,
jb

Posts: 2881 | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does one begin?

My name is as printed above; it's been mine for more than a few years. I am retired and living on the shores of Lake Ontario, just across the Lake from Niagara Falls, NY.

My interest in contemplatiive prayer began in college a very long time ago. I met a chap from whom had learned to follow a daily time of quiet prayer and a form of journaling. Since then I have practiced many different methods. For time to time I find that I have to go back to the beginning and refresh the way I meet with God in the silence of God's presence.

Biblical studies and theology were a part of my professional life until retirement ten years ago.
I have maintained these as personal interests on a daily basis since then.

So let us begin anew.

Posts: 25 | Location: Oakville, ON Canada | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello one and all - As you can see I'm Dennis (yes, sometimes the menace). I recently moved from Wichita, Kansas to Forsyth, Mo. I am a Presbyterian minister, seeking to make contemplation an integral part of my life and my ministry. Hasn't been easy. In accepting the call to Community Presbyterian Church here in Forsyth, part of the discernment process was a call to a more contemplative place; a home that overlooks the very beginnings of Bull Shoals Lake, an area that reminds me of God as creator of all life, and a place I can take 30 minutes in an afternoon and contemplate God in God's good creation.

I am married (28 years), two sons Nathan 23 and Scott 19 (soon to be 20). I am a life long Presbyterian but with a clear sense of the large body of Christ that is the universal church. I give thanks for the times I have to fellowship with, souljourn with those who are parts of the larger body of Christ.

My hope in being a part of this forum - to make time for contemplation of God as creator, redeemer, and sustainer of me and all humanity, and creation.

I look forward to our times together, even as we are apart.

Blessings;

Dennis Winzenried

Posts: 1 | Location: Forsyth, MO | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello to everyone Smiler ,

My name is Terri (quite unlike my screen name there) and I live in rural southwestern Oklahoma with my husband and two of my three daughters. My oldest daughter and my granddaughter are away at college. We are farmers who raise some grain and have a cow/calf operation.

We attend United Methodist church, however, I am of the belief that the body of Christ is one body, not divided along any kind of denominational lines. It's been a great joy to visit and learn from my fellow brothers and sisters of the faith.

It's only been in the last 3 years that I really knew there WAS such a thing as a contemplative lifestyle. Many things I've read about it are already a part of my spiritual life, I just didn't know that's what it was called. There is still so much more to learn and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

God bless you all,
Terri

Posts: 609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all. I am Marcelline. I am Catholic, am married, have three mostly grown sons, and teach first grade in a Catholic school.
I learned Centering Prayer about 10 years ago and my need for contemplative prayer and quiet has been growing ever since. Yet, having a very active lifestyle, I feel I do not always give myself the time I need. I've come to this forum for precisely what the name says: support for comtemplative practice.
I've followed enough discussions at Shalom Place to be confident that that is exactly what I will recieve. I tend to be a bit of a lurker because I don't have the well-read background and ability to express myself that so many of the participants here seem to have. Yet, I don't intend to just take and not give; I will do my best. The Holy Spirit moves in ways we don't understand and I'm sure He's called us all here for a purpose. Smiler

Posts: 6 | Location: Wichita | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Everybody,

Nice to see some familiar people on this forum. Marcelline, it's so good to hear from you again!

My name is Anne, I'm 46 years old, Catholic, a kindergarten teacher, married, and mother of two teenagers. Our son is now attending Jr. college and is NOT flunking out (so far) Wink and today our daughter got her driver's license. Big Grin

Or course, who I REALLY am is a mystery! (See, I heard that from Phil in a previous seminar and I'm a very good student!)

I've benefited from other online programs that Phil has sponsored. I've looked over the topics listed for this one and I'm really looking forward to exploring them with all of you.

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, everyone,

My name's Jon Zuck. I'm 41, live in Norfolk, Virginia. I'm a single, gay, Charismatic, Catholic, Buddhochristian child of the Spirit who works for Verizon. For several years I wanted to become a priest, now trying discern my spiritual vocation elsewhere.

I've been seriously interested in--though less seriously practicing ;-) --contemplation for about 5 years now. Had a breakthrough in contemplation this spring, which concurred with some mild Kundalini symptoms.

I also practice Reiki and Qigong, and have some experience with Vipassana meditation. Also maintain a fairly large private website on mysticism at frimmin.com.

Shalom v'Tovah (Peace and Good)

jon

Posts: 32 | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all!!!

I am Betsy and a 50ish recently retired woman that has decided to go back to college. I am focused on understanding numerous religious traditions and amazed at the wealth of common ground and experience we share.

In my round of classes I stumbled into a Zen course that, 2 years later, I still don't fully comprehend- but that's OK. I became aware of how I had already walked some of the path, practiced the disciplines without even knowing it. It became a year of reading and thinking- yes, that's what occurred to me a day or two before and now I'm reading about it and understanding it. I guess it's about having eyes and ears to see. Without knowing much about contemplative prayer, I quickly saw the similarity
between Zen and this form of meditation. I am Catholic and very greatful of the traditions that have molded my faith.

I live in Virginia,have been married for 29 wonderful years and we have a beautiful 23 year old daughter.

Prior to returning to school, I was in a 2 year program for Spiritual Direction which was an incredible gift. Since retirement I have been given this gift of time to explore my own spirituality and hopefully bring it to the world. I look forward to sharing in spiritual growth and prayer.

God's blessings to you and all those you meet.
Betsy

Posts: 2 | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to be a bit of a lurker because I don't have the well-read background and ability to express myself that so many of the participants here seem to have. Yet, I don't intend to just take and not give; I will do my best. The Holy Spirit moves in ways we don't understand and I'm sure He's called us all here for a purpose.

Posts: 25 | Location: Oakville, ON Canada | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Shearman:
[qb]I tend to be a bit of a lurker because I don't have the well-read background and ability to express myself that so many of the participants here seem to have. Yet, I don't intend to just take and not give; I will do my best. The Holy Spirit moves in ways we don't understand and I'm sure He's called us all here for a purpose.[/qb]
Marcelline, I messed this up first time around, but here goes again in response to the above quote from your message.

One of the important things I have learned in participating in these and other religious discussions is that one does not have to be either well-read or a great intellect. For about ten years I had the privilege of studyiing and working as a professional librarian. That gave me a wonderful appreciation of books and greatly fed my omnivorous appetite for reading. What is most important for me, however, is being honest about my faith and my spiritual experience. After all, it isn't how many books one has read, but what one really believes and how one shares one's faith
that counts. There is an old saying that you are the only gospel most people are going to read or hear today.

posted Hide Post
Hello, I'm PG, a nurse by profession, married to a physician, and we have 5 sons, all grown.(?)I am Catholic, very much involved with my Church. I used to think a contemplative life was only for those in monasteries/convents, but I am grateful that I too have been called to this life of contemplation even as I am giving shots(!) or talking to patients and basically living a pretty active life. I hope to learn more about this here.

Posts: 5 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am grateful that I too have been called to this life of contemplation even as I am giving shots(!) or talking to patients and basically living a pretty active life.

============

PG, I would be interested to know how you can contemplate while giving shots and talking to people. Those don't seem to be very contemplative
exercises. In order to meditate creatively, i find that I have to be alone and away from interaction with other people. How do you manage both?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Shearman:
[qb]I am grateful that I too have been called to this life of contemplation even as I am giving shots(!) or talking to patients and basically living a pretty active life.

============

PG, I would be interested to know how you can contemplate while giving shots and talking to people. Those don't seem to be very contemplative
exercises. In order to meditate creatively, i find that I have to be alone and away from interaction with other people. How do you manage both?[/qb]
John, perhaps we all need to read Phil's topic "D" so we're on the same wavelength as to what is meant by "contemplative practice." It does seem to get kind of confusing. It is my understanding that "living contemplatively" isn't the same as "meditating creatively."

Here is a quote from the reflection found in Phil's topic "D"

"Given this understanding, you can be involved in contemplative practice all the time. It doesn’t really matter where you are or what kind of activity you’re doing, you can always be here now in love to some extent."

Wouldn't that include giving shots?

Anne

Posts: 172 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 10 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is starting to be a good discussion, but I think Anne has a good point in connecting it with topic D on contemplative practice. I'll copy/paste a couple of these exchanges onto that thread and hope it will continue there.

Let's leave this thread primarily for Introductions and asking for clarifications about parts of the Introductions.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post