Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plant-based Diets Login/Join

posted
What do you think of plant-based diets?
Do you think that they are the wave of the future?
Do you think that they are healthier then meat-based diets?

I have been a vegetarian since about 1976 and have watched the vegetarian orientation grow and develop over the years. The first health food stores in the 1970's only had grain binds and a few other things in them, now they are supermarket size. The vegetarian community has grown diverse and deep. The research is growing year by year, showing that plant-based diets are healing and for most people healtheir. Plant-based diets have become a standard in the food industry today. Vegetarianism is alive and well, growing and gaining interest. What do you think?

Posts: 57 | Registered: 12 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Phil
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim, and welcome to the forum.

I've seen all the trends you mention as well. My experience with vegetarians has been that as many embrace this diet for health benefits as for non-violent (to animals) reasons.

You might get an argument from groups like the Paleo diet people about whether this is the best diet, most suited to our biological needs.
- see http://thepaleodiet.com/

I know a few people who are very convinced that Paleo is the way to go!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 27 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil,

A lot of people have disagreements with the vegetarian diets. Yes non-violence to animals is a major reason people go vegetarian.

As for the Paleo diet, if it is done strictly it is almost a raw vegan diet with meat! If the meat consumtion is low, then yes this could be a very healthy diet. The Paleo diet is much better then the Standard American diet.

The Paleo diet approximates a raw vegan or Live Food diet. I think its the best meat-based diet that there is out there, and I would encourage people who want to eat meat; to eat the Paleo diet approach, just reduce the meat consumption. There is a lot of evidence that consuming large amounts of meat and dairy is bad in the long run.

posted Hide Post
i have noticed over the past few years a drastic change within my diet... i did not think about changing it.. it simply happened.

in short an aversion to eating meat then dairy.. and a need to eat pure foods.. all junk food came to a halt.

for a long while i still tried to eat meat.. as i had memory of liking it but once it got to the mouth.. it wasn't a happening thing. same with dairy... same with anything processed.

Live food seems to be where it is at for me.. what i am drawn to.. and i know many others who have also slowly had their dietary habits changed.

there was no motive in changing it ..i didn't seek to change it.. more like a natural thing to do. I do see a correlation with active K and change in diet.

i experience the diet change as a by product of deeper changes within... when the K began to move up the spine consistently... meat and dairy, junk food of any kind no longer worked for me.. i caught on real fast that if i ate it.. i paid later.. my body made this very clear.

Posts: 281 | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever our choice of diets, it is most wise to omit refined sugars and processed foods. I have written a few companies to ask what is in "natural flavors". The reply is always that it is a "proprietary blend", meaning it is allowed to not be disclosed but assures us it is within the FDA guidelines and has no MSG. Elsewhere I read that the flavors are produced in a lab to compete for the demanding palate. And that reminds me that Campbell's soups boldly list MSG on all the soups and the Company's stock is soaring. It is a flavor enhancer that causes allergic reactions in many people, allowed by the FDA, but it must be labeled. Amy's soups (no MSG), can no longer be found in Winn Dixie, some in Walmart, and can be ordered online. Processed foods have to be carefully monitored, and by the way almost all contain refined sugar.

Posts: 34 | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Faustina, The changes happening are normal as the body evolves. Most people eat a very acidic diet, most foods are acidic because of the way it is cooked or processed. When you start eating correctly the body becomes alkaline and your taste buds start changing back to their normal alkaline state. When this happens you naturally avoid or are repulsed by the acidic foods. Pure foods is what it is all about.

What is active K that you are talking about? Is it kundalini?

posted Hide Post
Hi All,

I got this advertisement for a vegetarian/vegan/raw food program in the mail this morning. It looks interesting, I might try it.

Posts: 716 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.Table of Contents
This is the table of contents for all that will be following in this blog on plant-based diets: vegetarian, vegan and raw vegan.

Contents on Questions on Plant-based diets

Vegetarian Diets
Question #Veg.1 What is a vegetarian diet?
Question #Veg.2 What are some of the categories of vegetarians?
Question #Veg.3 How does cooking relate to vegetarian diets?
Question #Veg.4 What are the food categories for raw vegan diets?
Question #Veg.5 What are protein values of carnivores vs. vegans
Question #Veg.6 What are reasons people choose to be vegetarians?

Longer lifespan
Question #Veg.7 Do plant-based diets give a longer life?
Question #Veg.8 What is the longest known life-span of a person in modern times?
Question #Veg.9 What are the scientific reasons for this long lifespan?
Question #Veg.10 What other scientific evidence is there for long life spans?

Meat Based Diet Questions
Question #Veg.11 Are their differences between humans and animals?
Question #Veg.12 Are high protein meat-based diets dangerous?
Question #Veg.13 Does high protein clog the membranes?
Question #Veg.14 Does the stress in animals influence the meat?
Question #Veg.15 What about the question of antibiotics?
Question #Veg.16 What about eating poultry?
Question #Veg.17 What about eating turkey instead of chickens?
Question #Veg.18 What about eating fish?
Question #Veg.19 What about getting omega 3 and 6 from fish?
Question #Veg.20 What about eating fish rather than red meat?
Question #Veg.21 What about eating fresh water fish?
Question #Veg.22 What about mad cow disease in meat?
Question #Veg.23 What about animal protein pathogenic microorganisms?
Question #Veg.24 What about milk and dairy products?
Question #Veg.25 What about coronary heart disease?
Question #Veg.26 What about daily protein and bone loss?
Question #Veg.27 What about the acid vs. alkaline balance?
Question #Veg.28 What about mutated, misformed meat-based proteins?
Question #Veg.29 What about the China Study on animal protein?
Question #Veg.30 What about the Paleo Diet?
Question #Veg.31 What about the Kosher Diet?
Question #Veg.32 What is a list of some dangers of excess protein?

Plant-based Health and History
Question #Veg.33 What about vegetarian detoxification and health?
Question #Veg.34 What is the Ideal or Perfect diet for humans?
Question #Veg.35 What about the different dietary schools of thought?
Question #Veg.36 Is there a historical progression of health movements?
Question #Veg.37 Is religion a factor with plant-based diets?

Protection to the Environment
Question #Veg.38 Is animal protein a problem for the environment?
Question #Veg.39 What does the United Nations say about animal foods?
Question #Veg.40 What about land and water usage concerning meat?
Question #Veg.41 What about medical expenses and animal consumption?
Question #Veg.42 What about CO2 pollution increasing and animals?
Question #Veg.43 What about the increasing population and food production?
Question #Veg.44 What about increasing temperatures, sea levels and hurricanes?
Question #Veg.45 What is an Environmentally Conscious Eating approach?

These are general questions for the public, in a few place are journal studies citied but for the most part they are left out and can be found in Jim Tibbetts books. A blog really isn’t the place to go around citing a lot of footnotes on scientific studies and books. These are just a few of the many questions that could be asked, but they cover a lot of topics on plant-based diets. The following are all these questions.

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.1 What is a vegetarian diet?

The term “vegetarian” does not mean vegetable eater but it stems from the Latin vegetus, which means “whole, sound, fresh, and lively, or to enliven”. Most vegetarians believe that plant foods are life giving, alive and bring health. The word “diet” comes from the Greek work dieta, which means “way of life.” A diet needs to be a lifestyle in order to be effective. And the lifestyle needs to come from the heart to be spiritual, real and true. The emphasis is on live or living foods.

“It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living, by its purely physical effect on the human temperament, would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind.” Albert Einstein

In the beginning in the Garden of Eden Adam and Eve were raw vegetarians: “God said, ‘See, I give you all the seed-bearing plants that are upon the whole earth, and all the trees with seed-bearing fruit; this shall be your food.” Gn 1.29

Question #Veg.2 What are some of the categories of vegetarians?

1. The vegans, which excludes all types of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, etc.
2. The ovo-lacto vegetarian diet which allows eggs, dairy and cheese products.
3. The lacto vegetarian diet which allows dairy products.
4. The ovo vegetarian diet which allows eggs but no dairy.
5. Raw vegetarian diet which involves all kinds of fruits and vegetables only raw and little to nothing cooked.
6. And there are many cultural movements that are partially or totally vegetarian such as Macrobiotics.

These traditional distinctions on vegetarianism are not really that helpful or necessary and only cloud the issue. Most vegetarians bounce back and forth between one and the other diet regime. And the problem is that they are really trying to define vegetarian in its relation to meat. But the real definition of the term vegetarian is based on life and vitality and wholeness and that comes from a vegetarian diet.

The SAD diets which includes the USDA’s pyramid diet, are the unhealthiest diets according to the research over the last twenty years. The Health Food diets and Vegetarian diets are much healthier then the different SAD diets. The research is fairly clear of the superiority of the vegetarian diet over the meat eating diet

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.3. How does cooking relate to vegetarian diets?

Animal protein deteriorates in heating and cooking. When animal protein is heated to 212 degrees, or over 120. It deteriorates into polyscraides which are carcinagines, and then too much animal protein residue also feeds cancer cells.

The categories that are the superior diets and foods are those foods that are still living. Cooking kills the foods.

I. Living Food Diets (Superior Health)
The Raw Veggie Diets are 0% to 20% cooked
The Vegan Diets are about 10% to 30% cooked
II. Health Food Diets (Semi-healthy)
The Vegetarian Diets are about 30 to60% cooked
The Partial Vegetarian Diet are about 50 to 70% cooked
III. Standard American Diets (Unhealthy)
The Food Pyramid Diets are about 40 to 90% cooked
The Standard American Diet are about 50 to100% cooked

The reason I, first says, Health Food Diets is that these diets are “healthy” in the short term but in the long run, more than several decades on the diet they can and usually do become Semi-healthy. This is because of the cooking and commercially prepared foods and strong use of grains that can be influential in degenerative diseases. Also a healthy diet really needs to be under 80% cooked whereas the partial vegetarian and vegetarian diets usually have a lot of cooking.

The direction is obvious to go from the SAD diet to the vegetarian diet to the raw vegetarian diet. The partial or semi- vegetarian diet is only meant to be a transitional phase and one should not settle down there. Poultry is just as bad, in some cases worst then red meat.
Dr. Neal Bernard writes: “In their search for the smoking gun linking meat to cancer, scientists have discovered cancer-causing chemicals, called heterocyclicamines that form as meat is cooked. And the issue does not stop as red meat. While these carcinogens are often present in well-done beef, they have turned up in far higher levels in grilled chicken, as well as in fish.” (Cancer Research)

Cooking, baking roasting, broiling, boiling and steaming destroy from 30% to 90% of the nutrition in the food, resulting in a nutrient-deficient diet, the main cause of degenerative diseases. 97-100% of the enzymes are destroyed in cooking. Minerals are leached into the cooking water when cooking; and liquids (broth) are often poured out.
Cooked foods become so devitalized they take more energy to digest than they give and are difficult to digest.
Cooked foods shorten our life span.
Cooked foods cause far more build-up of toxins, a factor suppressing the immune system and making the body more susceptible to disease of all kinds.
Cooked foods encourage over eating, resulting in weight gain. Since they are nutrient-deficient, they leave the system still hungering for and craving food.
The natural fiber is broken down, increasing transit time of food through the gastrointestinal tract. Increased transit time means sugars ferment, proteins putrefy, and fats turn rancid, loosening toxins for absorption.
The carcinogenic substances are formed from foods-cooked or grilled over charcoal forms during some cooking procedures. The meat drippings drop onto the charcoal and carcinogenic substances are transmitted by steam onto the cooked meats.
Leucocytosis (an increase in white blood cell count and associated with a pathological condition) increases upon ingestion of cooked food.
There is poor mastication resulting in decreased saliva and enzyme flow; food is, therefore, poorly prepared for digestion.
Cooked food is most often fragmented/refined/deficient.
Cooked food is most often highly chemicalized.
Cooked food is prepared in utensils that give off toxic metal/plastic/paint particles.
Cooked food is most often addicting and promotes overeating.
Finally cooked foods falsely satisfy the taste and appetite but cause abnormal cravings for sugary foods (candy, cakes, pies, ice creams, cookies, etc.) Heavy meats, richly-seasoned starches, such as breads with spreads, deep fat-fried potato and corn chips, French fries, spicy, rich grain and legume dishes also cause abnormal cravings. After such a meal, the coffee drinker craves coffee for the caffeine fix, which over-stimulates the pancreas to produce more enzymes to digest all the heavy food.

When certain foods are roasted or baked, they turn brown or golden and their taste and aroma are enhanced. This is from the Maillard reaction, which occurs when amino acids are cooked in the presence of carbohydrates (particularly reducing sugars such as glucose). This reaction can produce compounds called advanced glycocxidation endproducts (AGEs), which are of significant concern. This negative or bad effect on a macro-molecular level can be the cause of degenerative diseases in the future.

AGEs are linked to cancer and ‘enhanced cancer progression,’ (Ann. NY Acad. Sci.) diabetes, kidney disease, aging, (J. Am Diet. Assoc.) and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s. (Med. Hypotheses) AGEs are also implicated in slower healing of wounds in diabetics (Diabetes) as well as diabetes-related autoimmunity. (Smith, Genetic Roulette) AGEs may reduce nutritive value, (Am. Acid) as well as increase protein stability, and therefore allergenicity. Higher levels of AGEs are also detected in patients with Creuzfeld-Jacob Disease (CJD), but it is not clear if they contribute to the disease.

This browning effect is what happens to cooked meats all the time!

Also the higher the temperature and the longer you cook meats the more they become denatured. Proteins start to become denatured over 150 degrees, that is why pasteurization tries to stay under 150 degrees. One study showed that when you fry two eggs about 50% of the protein is destroyed and you’re only getting the amount of protein from one egg. Protein goes through a change when it is cooked. Protein is destroyed at 150 degrees. At this temperature the chemical body and structure of protein is ‘de-natured,’ and once this happens, there is nothing we can do to ‘un-de-nature’ protein.

One raw food expert, Malkamus said, “Protein is denatured when cooked, amino acids fuse together, making the protein unusable and when cooked, amino acids are destroyed or converted to forms that are either extremely difficult or impossible to digest.” The obvious problem is that if some of the protein is destroyed by the cooking process then more protein is needed to get the minimum daily requirements.

Question #Veg.4 What are the food categories for raw vegan diets?

For a Raw Living Foods Diet these five categories are usually considered base foods:
1. Vegetables (green and leafy vegetables, potatoes, etc.)
2. Grains sprouted (rice, barley, millet, wheat, bulgur, etc.)
3. Legumes (beans and peas of all sorts)
4. Fruits (apples, oranges, plums, etc.)
5. Nuts and Seeds (almonds, walnuts, peanuts, etc.)

Because of its importance let me repeat this statement. The term “vegetarian” does not mean vegetable eater but it stems from the Latin vegetus, which means “whole, sound, fresh, and lively, or to enliven”. Most vegetarians believe that plant foods are life giving, alive and bring health.

On grocery shelves, there sit more than 5,000 items processed from whole natural foods into empty edibles. Some 65% of the American adults and 25% of children under 17 now live with chronic disease which can be fed by cooked foods and commercially prepared foods. Supermarkets are places where some aisles are like funeral homes and many foods are dead foods that lie in state, laid out for the public to see!

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.5 What are protein values of carnivores vs. vegans

A survey by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture and a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows that the vegans are the most efficient in terms of nutrition because they can consume less and get enough nutrients at the same time. They are eating more fruits and vegetables with almost double the fiber of the lactovegetarians. And their average protein intake is 35 grams, while the average American usually consumes over 100 grams.

Meat-eaters Lactovegetarians Vegans
protein 85 g 55 g 35 g
fiber 4.5 g 8 g 15 g
salt 2.5 g 1.2 g 0.25 g
calories 2000 cals 1800 cals 1600 cals

Vilcabamba inhabitants in Ecuador show the largest number of centenarians of any place in the world - 1098 for every 100,000 people! According to Dr. Alexander Leaf, M.D., their average protein intake is 35-38 grams a day, and the total caloric intake is only 1200 to 1360 a day. They are almost 100 percent vegetarians.”

A study in the Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine showed that: “Under normal circumstances 30 to 35 grams is enough for men and some sources say 25.”

A Dr. Russell Chittenden of Yale University did a protein study and concluded “that one is able to maintain good health by consuming 36 g. of protein and 2000 calories of energy daily.” His conclusions were done before any dietary standard was set in the U.S. “According to the report of the World Health Organization, (c. 1978) the requirements of protein for the average adult is 0.59 grams per kilogram of body weight per day. If one person weighs about 130 lbs. He must take 36 g. of protein per day.”

An adult may manufacture upwards of 200 grams of protein a day but about 80% may be recycled, the amino acids are reassembled. About 20% may be lost and thus a new supply is needed from dietary intake. Thus 20% of about 200 grams is about 40 grams a day that is needed. (Nutrition in Spaceflight)

“Protein in human mother’s milk (as percentage of total calories): is 5 percent.” The World Health Organization’s protein requirements parallel this fact. Human minimum protein requirement (according to the World Health Organization): is 5 percent of total calories. The U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance for adult protein intake: is 10 percent of total calories.” Obviously there is a big difference here, the U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance is double what the World Health Organization states.

In a study on “Protein in the U.S. Diet,” by The Journal of the American Dietetic Association, pointed out: “The levels of protein consumption in the Western nations are not nearly ‘higher than enough,’ they are far higher than are safe. The average American is probably getting from two to three times as much protein as he actually needs.”

The average man in the U.S. eats 175% more protein than the recommended daily allowance (RDA) and the average woman eats 144% more! Surgeon General’s Report on Nutrition and Health

These data suggest that during adult life, a reduction in dietary intake of fat and proteins of animal origin may contribute to a substantial reduction in the incidence of breast cancer...in population subgroups with high intake of animal products. Journal of National Cancer Institute

A report from the National Academy of Sciences states: “Evidences from both epidemiological and laboratory studies suggests that high protein intake may be associated with an increased risk of cancers at certain sites.” Committee on Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer of the National Research Council

Some studies in the Journal of American Dietetic, point out that 30 grams is quite adequate, and other studies have even indicated that under 10 grams might be sufficient in certain cases. (Proteins in Human Nutrition)

Allan Cott, M.D. comments in Fasting as a Way of Life that: “Controlled experiments have shown the average person can function perfectly well with protein intakes of only 30 to 35 grams per day...Studies by Dr. John W. Berg and others at the National Cancer Institute link colon cancer with high consumption of beef. ... Corroborating studies involving 112 vegetarian and 88 non-vegetarian adults, adolescents, and pregnant women reported in the Journal of Clinical Nutrition as follows:
1. The average intake of nutrients of all groups exceed those recommended by the National Research Council, with the exception of adolescent ‘pure’ vegetarians.
2. Nonvegetarian adolescents consume more protein, but there is no evidence that an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet failed to provide adequate diet for them or for expectant mothers.
3. There were no significant differences in height, weight, and blood pressure among the groups, but ‘pure’ vegetarians weighed an average of 20 pounds less.
4. Cholesterol was higher in the nonvegetarian groups. The ‘pure’ vegetarian diet, whatever its shortcomings, is cholesterol-free.”

There’s perhaps less than five cases of protein deficiency reported in the U.S. and there is over 50 million cases of protein excess in the U.S., which increases the amount and intensitiy of degenerative diseases.

All the above studies were concerning protein ranges of vegan (35 g.) to lacto-ovo-vegetarian (55g.) grams. Victoras Kulvinskas cited a study that twice the daily requirement of certain amino acids in food leads to toxic cell disturbance, thus 2 x 35 = 70 grams. And another study noted; it is as little as 75 grams of daily protein that causes a negative calcium balance (less than three-quarters of what the average meat-eating American consumes).

Question #Veg.6 What are reasons people choose to be vegetarians?

About 10-15 million of the U.S. population is vegetarian (depending on how you define it); under 1% of vegetarians in the U.S. are vegan (1997 Roper poll estimated about a million) and probably less than .5% is raw vegan. “An increasing number of people in the United States - between 8.5 and 12.4 million - call themselves vegetarians. At the same time, meatless diets are gaining scientific legitimacy. The American Dietetic Association officially condones vegetarianism. Medical studies support the idea that a healthy diet can be meatless. Yet only about 4% of all vegetarians are vegan.

“People who choose vegetarianism have a variety of reasons for doing so, though research suggests that people’s motives vary within rather set categories. In a 1991 survey (Scott 1991), for example, Vegetarian Journal readers revealed their top four reasons: (1) health (reported by 81%), (2) animal rights (81%), (3) ethics (76%), and (4) environment (75%). The other reasons include economics (28%), taste (28%), religion (10%), habit (7%), media articles (8%), friends/family (5%), other (4%), doctor (2%), dietitian (2%). Note that the top four categories reflect the dominant claims in the vegetarian’s literature. Four primary motivations emerged from a study of British vegetarians: “moral, health-related, gustatory, and ecological.” (1992).

“Other researchers have found similar categories of reasons, and many vegetarians report more than one motive (Amato and Partridge 1989; Beardsworth and Keil 1992; Dwyer et al. 1973; Krizmanic 1992). Four primary motivations emerged from Beardsworth and Keil’s study of British vegetarians: “moral, health-related, gustatory, and ecological.” The authors note that “in the great majority of instances, respondents had no hesitation in identifying their primary motivation in ways which could be classified quite readily under these headings” (1992).

“The overwhelming majority of vegetarians perceive plant foods as desirable and life-giving (Twigg 1979). By eating food that is more alive, a person becomes healthier. While animal food is considered dead matter, vegetable food lives.

“Most vegetarian authors use scientific evidence to back their arguments. For example, according to John Robbins, “Literally thousands of articles published in the last few decades in The New England Journal of Medicine, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, the Journal of the American Medical Association, the British Medical Journal, Lancet, and other publications of similar stature have demonstrated that the less animal fat you take into your body, the healthier you will be” (1992). Richard Bargen, author of the Vegetarian’s Self Defense Manual, which reviews over 100 nutritional medical studies, states, “Vegetarianism, once it has achieved a solid scientific foundation, will become the ‘norm’ in Western nations”.

“Scientific data suggest positive relationships between a vegetarian diet and reduced risk for several chronic degenerative diseases and conditions, including obesity, coronary artery disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, and some types of cancer.” Journal of the American Dietetic Association (Nov. 1997)

“Vegetarians often have lower mortality rates from several chronic degenerative diseases than do nonvegetarians.” British Medical Journal (1996)

posted Hide Post
Longer Life-span Diets

Question #Veg.7 Do plant-based diets give a longer life?

Yes, plant-based diets give a longer and healthier life then meat-based diets. There is a lot of evidence for this a few comments here will help understand this.

In a medical journal, Dr. Jeremiah Stamler, a cardiologist was talking about lifestyles and demonstrating with statistics on death rate quotes, he noted that: “An additional comparison has recently become available, with data on mortality; for three groups of Californian Seventh Day Adventists (non-vegetarian, lacto-ovo-vegetarian and pure vegetarian) compared with the Californian general population. Seventh Day Adventists have lower mean serum cholesterol levels than Americans generally. For 47,000 Seventh Day Adventist men aged 35 and over, age-sex-standardized, mortality rates were 34% lower for non-vegetarians, 57% lower for the lacto-ovo-vegetarians and 77% lower for the pure vegetarians compared to the general population. Seventh Day Adventists differ from the general population in other respects as well, e.g. abstinence from both alcohol and tobacco.”

Dr. Alexander Leaf, chief of medical services at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, made an extensive study in three sections of the world where people live extraordinarily long lives: The Andean village of Vilcabamba, Ecuador; the Hunza Kingdom in Kashmir; and the Black Sea coastal area of Abkhazia, in Russia. All of these people were in excellent physical condition. Dr. Leaf’s conclusion was that regular physical exercise, heredity, and a sense of importance, in addition to their generally low-calorie and low-protein diets, were important keys to a longer life. “According to Dr. Alexander Leaf, M.D. who visited the Hunza and made an extensive study of their diet as related to their exceptionally long life, the factors mostly responsible for their long life are: 1) their total low-calorie diet (an average of 1900 calories a day) and 2) their predominantly vegetarian diet (only 1 percent of their protein intake come from animal sources).”

Dr. Leaf says: “I returned from my travels and convinced that vigorous, active old age, free from debility and senility, is possible.”

“What can you learn from the Hunza people regarding proteins? Cut down on all proteins, especially animal proteins. The diet with the greatest potential for optimum health and a long life is a lacto-vegetarian diet with emphasis on vegetables, fruits and seeds, nuts and grains, especially in a sprouted form. Homemade cottage cheese (kvark) and soured milk products can supplement this diet, along with vegetable oils and honey. Meat can be left out completely, or the amount consumed reduced drastically.”

The average life expectancy in Hunza is between 85 and 90 years and many live to be a healthy 110 to 125. A Dr. Robert McCarrison who lived with the Hunza’s for seven years concluded that their traditional diet more than anything else was responsible for their extraordinary health and longevity. Dr. Karl-Otto Aly, a director of a large biological clinic in Sweden did extensive studies on the Hunza people when he visited them. “Their daily diet consists even today of natural, poison-free high quality foods, and is mostly vegetarian. The variety of vegetables and fruits guarantees their adequate supply of various minerals, vitamins, and proteins. The fact that Hunzakuts not only survived in their isolated, rugged mountains, but are enjoying such a high level of health and vitality on such a diet, speaks for its inherent superiority.”

Dr. Karl-Otto Aly continued, “According to today’s scientific norms and recommendations, the diet of Hunzakuts is utterly protein-deficient, and even deficient in vitamin B12. If we would believe today’s orthodox nutritionists, the people of Hunza should have been dead circa 2000 years ago, when they inhabited this isolated river valley and began eating their traditional low animal protein diet. But, apparently not knowing that modern science would not approve of their diet, they fared quite well for over 2000 years. Just like a bumble-bee, which according to all statistical and aerodynamic calculations can’t fly, but, being ignorant of the laws of aerodynamics and gravity, flies anyway! Not only did the people of Hunza survive with flying colors, but even today I could not discover a single case of protein deficiency (Kwashiorkor), or anemia and nerve degeneration caused by B12 deficiency.”

Dr. Paavo Airola explains that a high protein diet is a sure road to premature aging. “The Hunza example illustrates clearly that it is not a high-protein, but a low-protein diet which has the greatest potential for optimum health and long life. Their average daily intake of protein is about 30 grams. Many other long-living people in the world, like the Russians, Yukatan Indians, Todas, Abhkazians, Vilcabamba inhabitants, and Bulgarians, are people who eat low-protein diets. Hunzakuts eat meat once a month, at the most. According to a recent study of Dr. S. Magsood Ali, of Pakistan, only 1 percent of the Hunzakuts’ protein intake was from animal sources. Bulgarians eat very little meat - perhaps 15 - 20 percent of the average American’s consumption. In Russia, only 1% percent of the total population are vegetarians, while 9 percent of all people who reach 100 years are vegetarians. The healthiest people in Latin America, with the longest life expectancy, are the Yucatan Indians, who never eat meat. Vilcabamba inhabitants in Ecuador show the largest number of centenarians of any place in the world - 1098 for every 100,000 people! According to Dr. Alexander Leaf, M.D., their average protein intake is 35-38 grams a day, and the total caloric intake is only 1200 to 1360 a day. They are almost 100 percent vegetarians.”

The Eskimos and the Lapplanders, who eat very high protein diets of meat, have a life expectancy of 30 -35 years. The Kirgese tribe of Eastern Russia lived primarily on meat and seldom passed the age of 40. Scientists started to correlate diet-styles and health in world populations after World War II. “One fact that emerged consistently was the strong correlation between heavy flesh-eating and short life expectancy. The Eskimos, the Laplanders, the Greenlanders, and the Russian Kurgi tribes stood out as the populations with the highest animal flesh consumption in the world - and also as among the populations with the lowest life expectancies, often only about 30 years. It was found, further, that this was not due to the severity of their climates alone. Other peoples, living in harsh conditions, but subsisting with little or no animal flesh, had some of the highest life expectancies in the world. World health statistics found, for example, that an unusually large number of Russian Caucaians, the Yucatan Indians, the East Indian Todas and the Pakistan Hunzakuts have life expectancies of 90 to 100 years.” (Diet for a New America)

“The cultures with the very longest life spans in the world are the Vilcambas, who reside in the Andes of Ecuador, the Abkhasians, who live on the Black Sea in the USSR, and the Hunzas, who live in the Himalayas of Northern Pakistan. Researchers discovered a ‘striking similarity’ in the diets of these groups, scattered though they are in different parts of the plant. All three are either totally vegetarian or close to it.” (Diet for a New America)

Question #Veg.8 What is the longest known life-span of a person in modern times?

Dr. Paavo Airola reports that the renowned Chinese scholar and herbalist, Professor Li Chung Yun, who lived to be 265 years of age. Don’t laugh! Professor Li Chung Yun’s age is well documented. Being a world-famous scholar, he was in the public eye for over 200 years. At the age of 100, he was awarded by the Chinese government a special Honor Citation for extraordinary services to his country. This document is available in existing archives. For over 150 years after the award, the Professor was visited by countless Western scholars and students. It is reported that he gave a series of 28 lectures at the University of Sinkiang when he was over 200 years old.

His life spanned four centuries - 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th. He enjoyed excellent health, outlived 23 wives, and kept his own natural teeth and hair. Those who saw him at the age of 200 testified that he did not appear much older than a man in his fifties. Professor Li Chung Yun attributed his longevity to his life-long vegetarian diet and the regular use of rejuvenating herbs plus - may I add, an important plus - to his “inward calm”. He used gotu-kola (hydrocotyle asiatica minor) and ginseng daily in the form of tea.

Researchers and writers who studied his life in detail, attributed his long life to his vegetarian diet and special rejuvenate herb teas which he drank all of his life: ginseng and got-kola. Li Chung Yun himself, however, had a different idea for the reason of his long life. When asked to what he attributed his long life, he said: “I attribute my long life to INWARD CALM.”

Dr. Paavo Airola states, “In all my studies of people who lived extraordinarily long lives in various parts of the world, I have found that in addition to all the other factors, such as sound nutrition of simple, unadulterated foods, scanty eating, poison free environment, and plenty of exercise, they all possessed that unmistakable quality Professor Yun was taking about - INWARD CALM.” A more conservative estimate of Li Ching-Yun’s age placed him at 197 years old, born in 1783.

posted Hide Post
Question # Veg.9 What are some scientific reasons for this long lifespan?

Dr. Paavo Airola also gives a scientific reason why a low intake of protein is connected to a long life. “A high animal protein diet, is one of the main causes of senility and premature aging which has been recently stressed by two leading European biochemists and doctors - Professor Ph. Schwarz, of Frankfurt University, and Dr. Ralph Bircher of Zurich, Switzerland. They reported that the aging processes are triggered by a substance called amyloid, a by-product of protein metabolism, which is deposited in connective tissues and causes tissue and organ degeneration. Amyloid, the aging-producing substance, contains a large percentage of the amino acids tryptophan and tyrosine, which are plentiful in animal proteins. ‘The connection between deposits of amyloid in the tissues and the degenerative diseases and aging processes in man has been known for a long time, but conveniently forgotten in this age of the high protein fad.’ Famous German pathologist, Dr. Rudolf Virchow, suggested as early as 1854 that amyloid deposits cause degenerative changes and premature aging. Amyloidosis was produced in experimental animals by feeding them high-protein diets.”

It is interesting if we go back to the Biblical Account of the Flood where God first allowed man to eat meat and also said his life span would be only 120 years, whereas before it was over 800 years old. On a strict vegetarian diet with fruit and vegetable based protein this amyloid problem is minimized, but with meat it is accentuated. Perhaps God was aware of this?

It should be stated that a vegetarian diet is an alkaline diet and all the longest lived populations had this alkaline diet. Most all the major nature oriented healing centers use an alkaline based diet to heal major illness. Man’s pH is 7.43 which is slightly on the alkaline side and sickness usually happens when the body chemistry is in an acid state. The Standard American Diet (meat eaters) are on the acid side of the pH scale.

Question #Veg.10 What are other scientific evidence for long life spans?

A Dr. Edward Stiegbitz in his book, The Second Forty Years, points out that: “Superficially, the answer is simple; intrinsically, extremely complex.... The quality of the cellular environment is the determining factor, whether the cells be growing in vitro in a test-tube, in vivo, or in the living and functioning organism.”

The plant-based writer Ross Horne comments on these and other hypothesis on old age: “So it becomes clear that “old-age” occurs because we take into our bodies, mainly in food, harmful substances which overtax the digestive system, cause toxemia of the milieu interieur, overtax the eliminatory organs, and to a greater or lesser extent in the form of foreign compounds, gradually accumulate in the tissues and cells to increasingly impede their functions. It follows then that old-age can be deferred by selecting foods which provide the best nutrition with the least digestive effort and the least amount of harmful residues, and consuming such foods in great moderation.”

One scientific study showed that fasting (diet restriction) is the only consistently proven method of extending lifespan and this article hypothesizes that it is because it reduces the total amount of oxidative stress within an animal. Technically speaking: Oxygen destroys mitochondrial genomes which lack DNA repair mechanisms. Diet restriction can attenuate age associate mitochondrial enzymatic dysfunction. People who fast and eat a Live-Food diet will probably live longer, this goes along with the moderation as a factor that is found in people who live over a hundred years.

The research done cross culturally with groups like the Hunza people and within the U.S. with groups like the 7th Day Adventists, tends to indicate that a strict vegetarian diet is the healthiest and gives the longest life span. The doctors and practitioners of a raw vegan or Live-Food diet has the highest healing rates of degenerative diseases.

posted Hide Post
Meat Based Diets
Question #Veg.11 Are their differences between humans and animals?

Yes, there are very clear physiological differences between humans and animals in relation to the foods that we eat. The diet of an animal usually relates to its physiological structure. There are meat eating animals and non-meat eating or vegetarian (grass and leaf) eating animals. And there are a few animals like the apes that are fruit and nut eating animals. Apes are the strongest animals on earth for their size. A silver-back gorilla has 30 times the strength and only 3 times the size of man. These gorillas eat nothing but fruit and bamboo leaves and can turn your car over if they wanted to.

a) Meat Eating Animals
1) has claw, to rip flesh;
2) no pores on the skin, perspires through tongue to cool body;
3) it has sharp front canine teeth, no flat molar teeth;
4) no flat back molar teeth;
5) small salivary glands in the front of the mouth;
6) acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin;
7) strong hydrochloric acid in the stomach to digest meat;
8) intestinal track is smooth and only 3 times the body length which helps pass decaying meat quickly.
9) urine is acidic from meat eating diet;
10) liver contains enzymes to break down uric acid.

b) Vegetarian Animals, Apes and Humans
1) no claws but hands with nails to pick and peel fruits;
2) perspires through pores on skin;
3) no sharp front canine teeth for tearing meat;
4) flat, back molar teeth to grind food;
5) well-developed salivary glands which are used to pre-digest grains and fruits;
6) alkaline saliva with enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains;
7) stomach acid about 20 times weaker then the meat eating animals;
8) intestinal track is puckered and 10 times the body length for veggie animals and 12 times body length for apes and humans.
9) urine is alkaline from vegetarians and fruits (average person)
10) liver has a low tolerance for uric acid.

The gorilla is the strongest land mammal in the world (pound for pound). The gorilla could lift about 3 to 4,000 pounds if it needed to. The gorilla is a strict vegetarian, more than that the gorilla is a raw vegetarian, who eats a lot of leafy green vegetables and fruit.

The original, natural and best foods for humans is probably fruits. Of all the animals on the earth we are more closely related to the friutivous animals, the fruitarian animals. Humans are not closely related to the herbivores, the cows, the horses, etc. Man is not a natural grass eater by nature. Our jaws do not chew with a four way action: back and forth and up and down, like tritration with the jaws to grin the grasses down and extract the juices, as herbivores do. And we do not have double and triple stomachs to flip the foods back and forth and get the most out of greens.

Animal intestines can handle the putrefying bacteria, high levels of fat and lack of fiber and intestinal acid since their intestine is designed for it. “The digestion of meat itself produces strong carcinogenic substances in the colon and meat-eaters must produce extensive bile acids in their intestines to deal with the meat they eat, particularly deoxycholic acid. This is extremely significant, because deoxycholic acid is converted by clostridia bacteria in our intestines into powerful carcinogens. The fact that meat-eaters invariably have far more deoxycholic acid in their intestines than do vegetarians is one of the reasons they have so much higher rates of colon cancer.” (American Journal of Digestive Diseases, (1975), Journal of Pathology, (1971))

A paper presented to the “American Heart Association” council on atherosclerosis states: “Examination of the dental structure of modern man reveals that he possesses all of the features of a strictly herbivorous animal. While designed to subsist on vegetarian foods, he has perverted his dietary to accept the food of the carnivore. It is postulated that man cannot handle carnivorous food like the carnivore. Herein may lie the basis for the high incidence of human atherosclerotic disease.”

The medical journal Lancet reports: “Formerly, vegetable proteins were classified as second-class, and regarded as inferior to first-class proteins of animal origin, but this distinction has now been generally discarded.” The Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Sciences notes: “Pure vegetarians from many populations of the world have maintained... excellent health.”

Question #Veg.12 Are high protein meat-based diets dangerous?

Studies are consistently showing that high protein consumption also means higher rates of cancer development. “T. Colin Campbell, a Professor of Nutritional Sciences at Cornell University and the senior science advisor to the American Institute for Cancer Research, says there is ‘a strong correlation between dietary protein intake and cancer of the breast, prostate, pancreas and colon.’” Professor Campbell goes on in his book, The China Study, to show study after study that shows plant-based diets are superior to meat-based diets.
Likewise, Myron Winick, director of Columbia University’s Institute of Human Nutrition, has found strong evidence of “a relationship between high-protein diets and cancer of the colon.’

In Your Health, Your Choice, Dr. Morter writes, “The paradox of protein is that it is not only essential but also potentially health-destroying. Adequate amounts are vital keeping your cells hale and hearty and on the job; but unrelenting consumption of excess dietary protein congests your cells and forces the pH of your life-sustaining fluids down to cell-stifling, disease-producing levels. Cells overburdened with protein become toxic.”

Two journal studies showed that excess protein can cause a fluid imbalance and result in kidney damage. “The liver and kidneys are the organs called upon to change excess protein, and too much work puts a strain on them. Because of this extra work the body heat level is raised and the fluid balance is upset. A continued excess may result in damage to the kidneys.”
(“Observations on Nitrogen and Energy Balance in Young Men Consuming Vegetarian Diets,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; “High Protein Ration as a Cause of Nephritis,” California and Western Medicine).

See Question #Veg.28 for a list of some dangers of excess protein. In summary: excess fat and excess cholesterol promotes tumor growth; rise in serum cholesterol; possible toxic nitrogen by-products; Ammonia is carcinogenic and urea promotes arthritis; meat-based diets, are acidic; incidence of osteoporosis correlates directly with protein intake; adverse effects of excessive protein intake on calcium loss; Amyloid deposits cause degenerative changes thus a shorter lifespan and premature aging from excess protein; Cooking meat creates mutagens which alters the DNA; excess protein can be damaging to the kidneys; diets high in animal protein increase one’s risk of kidney stones and gallstones.

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.13 Does high protein clog the membranes?

The Wendt doctrine, explains one major factor connecting excess protein consumption to some forms of chronic degenerative disease like MS and PD. The Wendts were able to prove with electron microscope pictures that excess protein clogs the basement membrane, a filtering membrane located between capillaries and cells. It helps regulate the flow of nutrients and waste products between capillaries, cells, and fluid in the tissues they penetrate. The more excess protein there is lodged in the basement membrane, results in a thicker basement membrane with clogged pores. It becomes harder for proteins, other nutrients, and even oxygen to get through into the cells and for waste and breakdown products to get out of the cells. This could be a major part of the problem and milk and dairy products would be involved in this build-up leading to many degenerative diseases.

The Wendt doctrine, is a result of thirty years of research by Wendt, Wendt, and Wendt, a family of physician researchers, has now received formal recognition by nutritional scientists in Germany. It explains one major factor connecting excess protein consumption to some forms of chronic degenerative disease.

“The Wendts were able to prove with electron microscope pictures that excess protein clogs the basement membrane, a filtering membrane located between capillaries and cells. It helps regulate the flow of nutrients and waste products between capillaries, cells, and fluid in the tissues they penetrate. Excess protein lodges in the basement membrane, resulting in a thicker basement membrane/clogged pores. It becomes harder for proteins, other nutrients, and even oxygen to get through into the cells and also harder for waste and breakdown products to get out of the cells. Eventually, the basement membrane becomes so clogged with excess protein that the cells on the inside of the capillary walls begin to store and secrete the excess protein in insoluble forms that accumulate on the inside of the capillaries and arteriole walls, causing atherosclerosis, hypertension, adult-onset diabetes, and what the Wendts term capillarogenic tissue degeneration, the result of clogged basement membranes all over the system.”

“This clogged basement membrane produces cellular malnutrition and results in the anoxia of the tissues. According to Dr. Steven Levine’s hypothesis, anoxia is the cause of all degenerative diseases. The key understanding is that excess protein in the diet results in a protein storage disease that slowly chokes off the system. It is much harder to meditate when one is choking on a cellular level and the vitality of the system is slowly dying out. The Wendts found that this whole process could be reversed by stopping the intake of all animal protein for one to three months, and by eating a low-protein diet or by doing extensive fasting.”

Question #Veg.14 Does the stress in animals influence the meat?

Not only the food the animal eats affects us but studies have shown that stress on the animal causes biochemical changes: “This metabolic responsiveness to stress alters its composition and thus cannot fail to affect its nature as meat.” Thus we become part of what we eat including the stress.” (The Physiology and Biochemistry of Muscle as Food, Univ. of Wisconsin Press)

Animals go through a great deal of stress during the last few days of their life and right before they are killed, slaughter houses are awful places of killing hundreds of animals a day. This stress goes into the meat, then the animals are killed and it stays in the meat.

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.15 What about the question of antibiotics?

About half of the 31 million pounds of antibiotics produced every year in the U.S. goes into animal feed to make them fatter. “Because of health concerns over antibiotic-resistant bacteria, several European countries banned the use of antibiotics in animal feed in the 1970's. Our government is still dragging its feet due to money, power and politics.”

Animals are given antibiotic-laced feeds to help make them fatter and not just because they may be sick. About half of the 31 million pounds of antibiotics produced every year in the U.S. goes into animal feed. About 80% of the poultry and 75% of the pigs get antibiotics to make them bigger. “Because of health concerns over antibiotic-resistant bacteria, several European countries banned the use of antibiotics in animal feed in the 1970's. Our government is still dragging its feet due to money, power and politics, not science! Besides penicillin and tetracycline in meat, you also can get nitrofurazone (and other nitrofurans), and sulfamethazine (along with other sulfa drugs). These can increase the risk of cancer.”

Until about the 1960’s, meat was a largely uncontaminated product. Few chemicals found their way into the chops, steaks and roasts you put on your table. But today, one of the fastest-growing - and most potentially dangerous - developments in agriculture is the use of a host of new chemicals in feed, livestock medication and meat processing. A past headline points up the new trend: ‘Livestock Thrive on Chemical Diet.’ Like a whirlwind, chemical feeding is taking over. The animals and poultry we eat have become as chemicalized as the plant products now on the market.

The meat of poultry is the same muscle fiber as the meat of beef and has the same acidity. Stay away from beef but if for some reason you have to eat poultry, eat organic poultry, free range, which does not have these hormones and chemicals.

Wolfe; Arlin; Dini, in Nature’s First Law, point out: Chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticide residues in the U.S. diet: Supplied by meat. 55%; Supplied by dairy products: 23% ; Suppied by vegetables: 6% ; Supplied by fruits: 4% ; Supplied by grains: 1% ; Percentage of U.S. mother’s milk containing significant levels of DDT: 99% ; Percentage of U.S. vegetarian mother’s milk containing significant levels of DDT: 8% ; Relative pesticide contamination in breast milk of meat-eating mothers compared to pesticide contamination in breast milk of vegetarian mothers: 35 times as high; Percentage of male college students sterile in 1950: 0.5%; Percentage of male college students sterile in 1978: 25%; Sperm count of an average American male compared to 35 years ago: Down 30%; Principle reason for sterility and sperm count reduction of U.S. males; Chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides (including dioxin, DDT, etc.); Percentage of hydrocarbon pesticide residues in American diet attributable to meats, dairy products, fish, and eggs: 94%. Less than 1 out of every 250,000 slaughtered animals is tested for toxic chemical residues.”

Question #Veg.16 What about eating poultry?

Of the major types of disease-causing bacteria and parasites found in food, nearly all have been found in meat or poultry. “Poultry in America is commonly contaminated with salmonella. The USDA says that about one-third of raw chickens are contaminated with salmonella. But some unbiased experts say 50 to 90 percent of poultry leaving the plant are contaminated. In 1990, the University of Wisconsin screened over 2,300 laying hens from three flocks. They found only eight birds that were not infected with campylobacter, another “bug” that causes food poisoning.”

“Poultry seems particularly prone to contamination with campylobacters; 80% of chickens and 90% of turkeys carried through a typical slaughterhouse produced positive cultures for it. Complete cooking can kill most of these microbes and bacteria that are found in poultry. But campylobacters survive freezing and “chicken that appears pink and underdone is the most likely source of infection.” Thus sandwiches and salads that have chicken and turkey meat without being cooked properly should be avoided.

Inspectors inspect chickens at a rate of one every two seconds or so, as they speed by the inspectors on hooks. But these inspections do not detect bacterial, antibiotic or other chemicals or toxin contamination. The USDA only uses tests that detect about 40 of the 227 different pesticides used on meat.

“Before 1950, antibiotics were not used but today chickens have a steady supply of sulfa drugs, hormones, antibiotics and nitrofurans. Veterinary drugs are used on every food-producing animal and many of these thousands of new drugs have not been tested. Over 90% of the chickens today are fed arsenic compounds.” One of the dyes injected into chickens is used so that their meat and yolks will appear to be a “healthy looking” yellow.

Gabriel Cousens, MD, notes: According to the Project Censored ratings, a news report in the June 8, 1990 Pacific Sun, the “fowl” play in the chicken industry was voted one of the ten most underreported stories of 1989. In their article it is pointed out that the incidence of bacterial salmonella infection is now two and one-half million cases per year, including an estimated one-half million hospitalizations and nine thousand deaths. Apparently the epidemic is caused by a huge leap in consumer demand for “healthier food” called chicken, as they switch from red meat, and by a massive failure of the US Department of Agriculture to inspect the chicken. A decrease in USDA staff led to an increase in contaminated chicken slipping through en masse. The article states: The USDA has placed gag orders on inspectors and destroyed documents disclosing that the agency has approved massive amounts of contaminated food. In the Pacific Sun article, Dr. Carl Telleen, a retired USDA veterinarian revealed how …chicken carcasses contaminated with feces, once routinely condemned or trimmed, are now simply rinsed with chlorinated water to remove stains. According to Telleen, Thousands of dirty chickens are bathed together in a chill tank, creating a mixture known as “fecal soup” that spreads contamination from bird to bird. This creates what Telleen calls “instant sewage.” (Conscious Eating)

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.17 What about eating turkey instead of chickens?

“You may wonder whether you’d be better off eating turkey. Sorry, but the methods applied to the factory production of poultry and eggs are also applied to other birds, such as turkeys, geese and ducks. All these birds are treated with equal disdain for their natural urges and needs, and equal fixation on using them for profit. They are debeaked, stuffed in wire cages, and fed the same sort of unnatural diet as chickens, complete with chemicals, drugs, and antibiotics.”

Neil Bernard, MD notes: “Breaking a meat habit cuts your overall cancer risk by about 40 percent. Your risk of colon cancer drops by about two-thirds, according to Harvard University studies including tens of thousands of women and men.”
(British Medical Journal; New England Journal Medicine)

Question #Veg.18 What about eating fish?

A century ago fish was a healthy source of food but today eating fish is questionable and problematic because of the mercury, chemicals and heavy metals from pollution. However, fish is a much healthier food to eat then beef and poultry. But there is a good side and bad side to eating fish.

Because of the greenhouse effect and the warming of the climate, there has been an increase in parasites and bacterial in the fresh waters thus it is better not to eat fish raw. Cooking fish will kill most parasites and bacteria, and those that it does not kill are not going to harm you.

Some sources have indicated that as much as 70 milligrams of mercury can kill a person. Some deep-sea fish, such as blue-fin tuna and swordfish, and even some California game fish, contain half a milligram of mercury for every kilo (2.2 pounds) of their body weight. It is easy to see that if a person were to eat such fish at the rate most Americans eat beef, the lethal limit would be reached in only five or six years.”

Neal Barnard, MD, founder of The Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine in Washington, D.C. who writes that: “Many people have turned from red meats to fish, encouraged by reports that fish contains “good fats.” However, those “good fats” are just as fattening as any other kind of fat, as the native populations of Arctic regions have demonstrated. Perhaps the worst of all, fish is by far the most contaminated food. As environmental experts monitor chemical contamination in fish, they routinely issue advisories, such as one from Virginia’s Department of Environment Quality, which recently pointed out that catfish and carp had PCBs up to 3,212 parts per billion, more than five times the allowable limit. PCBs, or polychlorinated biphenyls, are chemicals that were used in electrical equipment, hydraulic fluid, and carbonless carbon paper. They linger in waterways and, like mercury and other contaminants, flow through fish gills, lodge in fish muscle tissues, and routinely show up in governmental tests.”

Brian Clement, PhD writes in his book, Killer Fish that, “There are three central reasons why one should not be eating fish and other aquatic life. First’ is the fact that these creatures harbor saturated fats and disease-causing elements derived from the way we prepare them for consumption. Next, is the fact that each of these creatures is filled with our industrial waste (chemicals, heavy metals, etc.) and the globally scattered radiation from our endless wars and faulty nuclear energy endeavors? Last, but not least, are the multitude of parasites and amoebas that water-based creatures contain, which are passed to those unfortunate individuals who eat them.”

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.19 What about getting omega 3 and 6 from fish?

Brian Clement, PhD writes in his book, Killer Fish that; “Fish gives the wrong ratio of these fats and creates an imbalance of omega 3 to 6. Dr. Clement points out that, ‘There is often an 11:1 ratio of omega-6/omega-3 in some of the most commonly consumed fish versus the optimum 1:3 level found in plant-based sources. The unhealthy fatty acid ratio found in many common fish precipitates higher levels of cardiovascular disease for those who consistently eat these ‘fishy foods.’

“Another common myth is that fish oil slows mental decline. A study from the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) reports that there was no benefit derived by a group consuming fish oil since their cognitive function did not improve mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease. JAMA went on to say, ‘There is no basis for recommendation of supplementation in the quest of helping those afflicted with dementia.’”

Finally, Dr. Clement writes about the long legacy of people who have contracted disease by consuming aquatic life. He writes “The handful of studies that point to fish as a heart-healthy food are over-shadowed by many studies that prove their consumption actually severely increase the chances of heart attacks and strokes. As far back as 2004, Annals of Internal Medicine stated, ‘Americans have heard less about, and have paid less attention to, various health warnings associated with fish consumption. Studies have linked over-consumption of certain popular fish to neurological deficits, cancer, auto-immune and endocrine disorders, and in addition, heart disease.’”

Question #Veg.20 What about eating fish rather than red meat?

I do need to be honest that there are two opinions of eating fish, Brian Clement, PhD has expressed one in the last two questions in his book, Killer Fish. Another opinion emphasizes that some studies show eating fish has been shown to be healthier then eating red meat. An important study was written up in a Scandinavian medical journal which compared Greenlanders to their counterparts in Denmark, both of which have the same Nordic background and similar genetic makeup. The diets were very similar but Greenlanders lived on the coast and ate mostly fish while the Danes ate mostly meat. The Greenlanders were much healthier then the Danes. The Greenlanders had no incidence of Diabetes, Asthma, Multiple Sclerosis, Inflammatory Bowel Disease or Breast Cancer, while the Danes had high or very high incidences of these diseases. The Greenlanders had a measurable, but very small level, of Heart Attack, Psoriasis, Thyroid Toxicosis and Rheumatoid arthritis whereas the Danes had very high incidences of these diseases. Other diseases; like Ulcers, Cancer and Epilepsy were much less in the Greenlanders. Comparisons can be made with:
- Canadians in maritime provinces, where cold-water fish is a dietary staple, have much less rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory disease in general.
- Italians who live inland with a diet rich in meat, have more rheumatoid arthritis, versus whose who live on the seacoast and eat fish and vegetables.
- Asians who migrate to the United States and take on our meat-oriented diet, have more rheumatoid arthritis, compared to siblings who remain in Asia and eat a more vegetarian and fish-oriented die,
- Japanese who live in seacoast villages and eat a diet rich in fish and almost completely exclude meat have much less rheumatoid arthritis compared to inland villagers who eat meat.
- The most recent research indicates these same patterns hold for multiple sclerosis, which is also an inflammatory autoimmune disease with many similarities to rheumatoid arthritis.
The magnitude of the differences were not always the same, but the trends were consistent: eating fish rather than meat matters.

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.21 What about eating fresh water fish?

Dr. Eric R. Brown, chairman of the microbiology department of the Chicago Medical School went fishing with his son one day. Curious about the tumors on the fish he caught, Dr. Brown initiated an investigation of the fish and of the water where he was fishing - Fox River, a typical American river flowing a few miles west of Chicago. The bacteria count ran as high as 39,000 per 100 milliliters of water. That indicated a high proportion of fecal matter. There were also herbicides, insecticides, phosphates, nitrates, gasoline, ether, and carcinogenic (cancer-producing compounds of the benzathracene group) substances. In addition, lead, mercury, calcium, cadmium, zinc, and antimony were found.

“What a fish eats of elements such as mercury and arsenic, Dr. Brown points out, the fish keeps. When a bigger fish eats several smaller fish, he keeps the mercury and arsenic that they all ate. When a human being eats the fish, he keeps these poisons and they build up in him. This process of ‘biological magnification’ is a major threat in the use of flesh as food.” The lethal limit for mercury poisoning would be reached in only five or six years by a person eating some types of fish at the rate most Americans eat beef.

Do you want to play Russian roulette and take chances eating fish? There is mercury in almost all fish and some levels are called ‘acceptable’ according to the government. Why gamble? Just avoid fish!

In the book: The Brain Gate, Robert Hatherill, PhD, notes: “Fish and shellfish contain mercury (methylmercury), and mercury vapors have been demonstrated to cross the BrainGate. Once mercury crosses the BrainGate, a number of toxic processes occur. Mercury creates oxidative stress by depleting antioxidants. This depletion then blocks the formation of the brain messenger acetylcholine. The decrease in acetylcholine occurs mostly in the brain cortex and hippocampus.” In addition, Dr. Hatherill continues: “High levels of homocysteine result primarily from the intake of animal proteins, not plant proteins. Animal proteins contain an abundance of the essential amino acid methionine. If you eat a lot of methionine-rich foods, you will form higher levels of the toxic amino acid homocysteine. Homocysteine is formed from methionine. Fish have particularly high levels of methionine. To convert toxic homocysteine back into methionine requires folic acid and B vitamins. Some researchers believe that it’s elevated homocysteine levels, and not high cholesterol, that actually cause brain strokes.”

Question #Veg.22 What about Mad Cow disease in meat?

“About 75 percent of the ninety million beef cattle in America are routinely given feed that has been ‘enriched’ with rendered animal parts. The use of animal excrement in feed is common as well, as livestock operators have found it to be an efficient way of disposing of a portion of the 1.6 million tons of livestock wastes generated annually by their industry. If you are a meat-eater, understand that this is the food of your food.”

Mad Cow disease or ‘BSE’ or CJD the human equivalent (which turns the brain to mush) is because of animals eating other animals put in their feed. The disease has been found in 20 different animals and 12 or more countries. The disease is impervious to high temperatures (680 degrees F), drying and freezing, most disinfectants, and radiation. The incubation period takes two to eight years in a cow before the cow shows any signs of having it. CJD is very similar to Alzheimer’s and one report found 50 out of 66 Alzheimer’s patients with CJD. Like HIV it can be transmitted through milk. These diseases are fatal, and found in meats.
(A few of the key references for the above facts include: J Infect Dis 1990; Freezing - World Health Organization Fact sheet: Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE); U.S. Department of Agriculture, 1996; Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease with Alzheimer... Histopathology 1995; Vacuolar change in Alzheimer’s disease, Arch Neurol 1987; Creutzfeldt-Jokob disease, N Eng J Med 1992.)

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.23 What about animal protein pathogenic microorganisms?

It should be noted that the average American meal of animal products contains 750,000,000 - 1,000,000,000 pleomorphic pathogenic microorganisms per meal (US Department of Agriculture). The average vegetarian meal, consisting of only plant food has less than 500 pleomorphic pathogenic microorganisms per meal. The body’s defense system can easily handle this low amount, but the higher amounts indicated above for animal products are problematic especially for neurological diseases like Parkinson’s, MS, Alzheimer’s or ALS. A plant-based diet is obviously healthier because it contains less pathogenic microorganisms per meal. These are unhealthy microorganisms, something the body does not need or want. The brain also does not need or want this influence which could lead to numerous problems such as fungi in the brain and Lewy bodies found in Parkinson’s and MS. Let us look at this chart.”

“This chart shows Animal Foods for acceptable sale per U.S. Department of Agriculture
• Milk, Grade A Pasteurized: 20,000 microorganisms/ pathogens per gram, or 5,000,000 per cup.
• Butter: 300,000 to 1,000,000 microorganisms/ pathogens per gram, or 7,000,000 per patty.
• Cheese: 300,000 to 1,000,000 microorganisms/ pathogens per gram, or 100,000,000 per serving.
• Ice Cream: 300,000 to 1,000,000 microorganisms/ pathogens per gram, or 225,000,000 per serving.
• Eggs: 50,000 to 500,000 microorganisms/pathogens per gram, or 37,500,000 per egg.
• Beef, Poultry, Lamb, Pork, Seafood: 300,000 to 3,000,000 microorganisms/pathogens per gram, or 336,000,000 per serving.
• Honey: 500,000 microorganisms/pathogens per gram.

 The average American meal of animal products contains 750,000,000 - 1,000,000,000 pleomorphic pathogenic microorganisms per meal (US Department of Agriculture).
 The average vegetarian meal consisting of only plant food has less than 500 pleomorphic pathogenic microorganisms per meal. The body’s defense system can easily handle this low amount, but the higher amounts indicated above for animal products are problematic, and for some with diseases dangerous.
Vegetables, fruits, legumes, seeds, nuts and sprouted grains (if uncontaminated in handling): are only 10 microorganisms/ pathogens per gram.

Question #Veg.24 What about milk and dairy products?

Cows milk is for Cows. It helps them grow to 1,500 lbs.! Goats milk is actually the same pH and close to the same nutrients as mothers milk. If you have to choose milk choose goats milk and goats milk products over cow’s milk.

Dr. Frank A. Oski, M.D. Director, Department of Pediatrics, John Hopkins School of Medicine states: “It is estimated that half the iron-deficiency in infants in the United States is primarily a result of cow’s milk inducing gastrointestinal bleeding. This is a staggering figure when one realizes that approximately 15 to 20 percent of all children under the age of two in this country suffer from iron-deficiency anemia. The resultant iron-deficiency anemia makes the child irritable, apathetic, and inattentive. The infant cries a great deal, the mother gives a bottle of milk to soothe him, and the condition continues to get worse. (Pediatrics)

“Diarrhea and cramps, gastrointestinal bleeding, iron-deficiency anemia, skin rashes, atherosclerosis, and acne. These are disorders that have been linked to the drinking of whole cow milk. So have recurrent ear infections and bronchitis. Yes. Leukemia, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, and simple dental decay have also been proposed. In one study on multiple sclerosis in the United States, they also studied twenty one other nations and the only significant link was between multiple sclerosis and average milk consumption.” (Lancet)

Another study found an apparent relationship between heavy milk drinking and anti-social behavior. “It was found that the juvenile delinquents consumed almost ten times the amount of milk that was drunk by the control group. Possibly the consumption of large quantities of milk produced some form of ‘protein intoxication’ that resulted in crime. ‘Who knows what evil lurks in the minds (or stomachs) of men?’ ” (J Ortho Psych) Dr. H.L. Newbold, a psychiatrist, has identified many patients in his practice whose insomnia, anxiety, or depression has been produced by foods. The food most responsible for the symptoms in both adults and children is whole cow milk.” (Pediatr Clin No Amer)

Dr. Robert Young PhD. points out, “The idea that dairy products are healthy is pure hype and a cultural myth. While cheese is a product of fermentation, dairy foods also contain residues of hormones and fungally based antibiotics, as well as yeast, fungus, mold, and mycotoxins (cows are fed stored grains). Dairy is also the leader of all foods in being mucoid-forming. It just gums you up. In addition, milk and especially cheese contain lactose (milk sugar). Eight ounces of milk have approximately twelve grams of lactose that can break down into yeast, fungus - feeding sugars. If all that isn’t enough, pasteurization destroys any enzymes that might be there to begin with, and makes the milk “sick”. Sick milk will rot and stink if left out, proving that pasteurization doesn’t even work (can’t kill microzymas), whereas raw milk will curdle naturally, and is still ‘edible.’ Last but not least, dairy is highly acid-forming. Add the influence of a variety of refined sugars to the above, and you’ve got a real winner: ice cream.” (Young, Robert, O., Sick and Tired)

In Robert Cohen’s book, Milk A-Z. The book shows how milk can be the cause of: allergies; breast cancer; Crohn’s disease; diabetes; ear infections; fat; growth hormones; heart disease; iron deficiency; juvenile illnesses; killer bacteria; lactose intolerance; mad cow disease; nasal congestion; osteoporosis; pesticide intake; rheumatoid arthritis; sudden infant death; tuberculosis; uterine cancer; vitamin D problems; and zits.

Robert Hatherhill PhD in his book BrainGate, explains that studies show that milk consumption increases lead and cadmium absorption. The main protein in milk, casein, has been shown to increase lead levels in the brains, liver, and kidneys of animals. Researchers have not determined why this happens, but it is possible that heavy metals piggyback on the amino acids in milk to get access to the brain. Milk fat also increases uptake of lead and other environmental pollutants.’”

While daily calcium intake is important, numerous studies have clearly demonstrated that too much dietary protein, not too little calcium, is the major cause of osteoporosis. Why? Too much protein causes an excess of hydrogen ions in the blood, which elevates blood acid levels. Because high acid levels can be dangerous, the body ‘buffers,’ or neutralizes the blood acid levels by drawing calcium from the bones. The resulting waste products, including calcium, are excreted in the urine. This evidence can be found in various journals including: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Journal of Nutrition, Journal of the American Dietetic Association, and Hospital Practice.

“Another author states: ‘Even the most conservative medical investigators no longer deny the connection between excess protein and osteoporosis. In a report published in the British journal Lancet, Drs. Aaron Watchman and Daniel Bernstein commented on work sponsored by the United States Department of Health and Harvard University. They called the association of meat-based diets with the increasing incidence of osteoporosis ‘inescapable.’” (Lancet)

In his book, The BrainGate, Dr. Hatherill, PhD an expert on brain toxins explains:
• Milk increases the uptake of neurotoxic cadmium, mercury, and lead in the brain.
• The milk sugar galactose builds up in the lens of the eye, causing cataracts.
• Dairy products create an increased risk of diabetes. Diabetics are developing more serious nervous system problems, such as dementia.
• The high fat content of dairy products leads to increased intake of neurotoxic environmental chemicals like PCB and dioxin.
• Milk causes leaky gut, which does not support optimal brain health.
• Milk intake increases heart disease risk, which ultimately impacts brain function.”

Every single study in history that has been done on Parkinson’s and dairy found that the more dairy products consumed, the higher the risk of getting Parkinson’s. So a meta-analysis of all prospective studies on dairy/milk consumption and the risk of Parkinson’s disease in men and woman was done and they found that dairy consumption was positively associated with the risk of Parkinson’s disease. (Am J Epidemiol)

“Studies have suggested that bovine serum albumin is the milk protein responsible for the onset of diabetes.” (New England Journal of Medicine) “These new studies, and more than 20 well-documented previous ones, have prompted one researcher to say the link between milk and juvenile diabetes is ‘very solid’.” (Diabetes Care)

Lactose is a milk sugar and most adults lack the enzyme, lactase which breaks down lactose. “An estimated 50 million Americans experience intestinal discomfort after consuming dairy products. Symptoms include bloating, stomach pain, cramps, gas, or diarrhea.” (American Journal of Epidemiology; Postgraduate Medicine)

In the countries where dairy products are consumed the greatest (United States, Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom) osteoporosis is found to be most common. (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; also Nutrition Action Healthletter)

“Preference for a diet high in animal fat could be a pathogenic factor, and milk and high fat dairy products contribute considerably to dietary fat intake.” Journal of the American College of Nutrition “Milk and milk products gave the highest correlation coefficient to heart disease, while sugar, animal proteins and animal fats came in second, third and fourth, respectively.” Medical Hypothesis - Survey of mortality rates in 24 countries.

According to the microbiologist Dr. Robert Young, PhD, D.Sc., “an increase in lactose (a sugar) from dairy products, especially cheese and ice cream, increases the lactic acid in the body which ferments in the bowels, the blood and the brain, leading to Parkinson’s and other neurological diseases. He points out, the idea that dairy products are healthy is pure hype and a cultural myth. While cheese is a product of fermentation, dairy foods also contain residues of hormones and fungally-based antibiotics, as well as yeast, fungus, mold, and mycotoxins because cows are fed stored grains. Dairy is also the leader of all foods in being mucoid-forming. It just gums you up. In addition, milk, and especially cheese contain lactose (milk sugar). Eight ounces of milk have approximately twelve grams of lactose that can break down into yeast, fungus - feeding sugars. If all that isn’t enough, pasteurization (based on the fast germ theory) destroys any enzymes that might be there to begin with, and makes the milk “sick.” Sick milk will rot and stink if left out, proving that pasteurization doesn’t even work (can’t kill microzymas), whereas raw milk will curdle naturally, and is still ‘edible.’ Last, but not least, dairy is highly acid-forming. This is all part of the immune storm attacking the body.” (Sick and Tired, Dr. Young)

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.25 What about coronary heart disease?

Coronary heart Disease (CHD) is the major cause of death in most Western countries. Serum total cholesterol concentration is the most important biochemical risk factor for CHD. Numerous studies have established that vegetarians have lower total serum cholesterol concentrations than comparable non-vegetarians. The relatively low serum total cholesterol of vegetarians has been observed in diverse populations, including white American Seventh-Day Adventists, American commune-dwelling vegans, American macrobiotic vegetarians, British vegetarians, elderly Chinese vegetarians, Slovakian vegetarians, West African Seventh-Day Adventists, Siberian vegans, German vegetarians, and many others. Furthermore, intervention trials have demonstrated that changing to a vegetarian diet can reduce serum cholesterol concentrations.

Vegetarian diets low in fat or saturated fat have been used successfully as part of comprehensive health programs to reverse severe coronary artery disease.” (Journal of the American Medical Association) In a study of more than 10,000 vegetarians and meat-eaters, British researchers found that the more meat consumed, the greater was the risk of heart attack.

“Vegetarian diets low in fat or saturated fat have been used successfully as part of comprehensive health programs to reverse severe coronary artery disease.” Journal of the American Medical Association (1995)

Question #Veg.26 What about daily protein and bone loss?

The National Dairy Council keeps promoting that dairy products builds stronger bones but the research shows the contrary. “Osteoporosis is, in fact, a disease caused by a number of things, the most important of which is excess dietary protein! The correspondence between excess protein intake on bone resorption is direct and consistent, even with very high calcium intakes, the more excess protein in the diet the greater the incidence of negative calcium balance, and the greater the loss of calcium from the bones.” (Journal of Nutrition; American Journal of Clinical Nutrition; Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery)

“One long-term study found that with as little as 75 grams of daily protein (less than three-quarters of what the average meat-eating American consumes) more calcium is lost in the urine than is absorbed by the body from the diet - a negative calcium balance. In every study the same correspondence was found: the more protein that is taken in, the more calcium that is lost. This is true even if the dietary calcium intake is as high as 1400 milligrams per day, far higher than the standard American diet.” (Protein and Calcium Loss a Review of the Nutrition Research; American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)

“In other words, the more protein in our diet, the more calcium we lose, regardless of how much calcium we take in. The result is that high-protein diets in general, and meat-based diets in particular, lead to a gradual but inexorable decrease in bone density, and produce the ongoing development of osteoporosis.” (Journal of Nutrition) This has been reported in numerous articles in the Journal of Nutrition.

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.27 What about the acid vs. alkaline balance?

The average person on a meat-based diet eats two to three times the amount of protein that they actually need (80-120g for the average 150 lb. male). A plant-based diet provides the right amount of protein needed (35-54g for the average 150 lb. male) (35g is ideal and 54 is recommended for the average 150 lb. male.) The high protein level in an animal protein based diet causes acidosis. This acidosis starts because of the excess of uric acid that comes from the breakdown of excess amino acids in the body.

Distilled water is 7.0 pH and human milk is 7.43 pH which is the basis for man’s normal pH. Thus our diet needs to be on the alkaline side of things to stay healthy. But the Standard American Diet is highly acidic and works off the ‘extremes’ found mostly in animal food and plant derivatives. Cooking is a form of food processing and is generally more acid forming. Raw foods are more alkalizing and cleansing for the body particularly after an extreme diet like the unhealthy Standard American Diet.

The homeostasis of the body seeks a 7.4 pH and other constant conditions such as a body temperature of 98.6 degrees F, certain glucose levels in the blood, certain amounts of body fluids etc. A major example of the importance of a balanced pH is given by Dr. Sherry Rogers, when she discusses how cancer cells become like yeast cells with a low pH (very acidic); “The normal pH of a cancer cell is 6.5, while a normal cell is 7.4. As soon as the pH of a cancer cell reaches 7.0, it stops growing; a little higher and it starts dying.” “According to Cell Society, by Dr. S. Okada, cancer cells grow well in a culture solution produced by the metabolic wastes of regular cells. Since the metabolic waste material of regular cells is acidic, cancer cells, then, like this acidic condition.”

A Dr. Theodore A. Baroody, N.D., D.C., Ph.D. points out, that: “Unfortunately, waste acids that are not eliminated when they should be are reabsorbed from the colon into the liver and put back into general circulation. They then deposit in the tissues. It is these tissue residues that determine sickness or health! Discover what tissue acid wastes are present and begin the process of alkalizing yourself, thus ridding them from the body. The result will be superior health, energy and strength to enjoy life fully. He further points out, “To replenish and sustain your alkaline reserves, follow the Rule of 80/20 – which means to eat 80% of your foods from the alkaline-forming list and 20% from the acid-forming list. Research, clinical experience, and the knowledge of the ‘greats’ in nutrition, have re-confirmed this ideal ratio of 80/20%.”

Dr. Robert Young PhD. in his book, Sick and Tired Reclaim Your Inner Terrain, explains pH in the role of health and healing. “Most people today understand environmental pollution and how it sickens the Earth: we live off the planet and pollute it with waste. Well, illness is basically the same thing. These morbidly evolved organisms are literally eating us alive and polluting us. The thing is, we pollute ourselves first, thus creating the one physiological disease: pH imbalance/toxicity in our terrain. Toxins and an acid-forming diet disrupt body chemistry, and this loss of balance (i.e., dis-ease) in turn disturbs the central balance of the microzyma. Nutritional deficiencies can have the same effect, but can also be created by acidification: the evolution of microzymas is into bacteria and ultimately into a yeast and fungus Y/F infestation. Y/F can infest the blood and any cell or tissue, causing different symptoms.

“As more acid wastes back up and the body slowly stews in its own poisonous wastes, the acid begins to corrode veins, arteries, cells and tissues, leading to high valence cellular disorganization, which the medical community refers to as degenerative disease.” “Normal body function and health require adequate alkaline reserves as well as the correct pH in tissues and blood. A major means of ensuring these conditions is the proper dietary ratio of alkaline to acid foods. A ratio of at least 80% to 20% - four parts alkaline to one part acid - is required (possibly 3 to 1 for a healthy person). When the proper ratio is maintained, morbid microforms are discouraged.”

All animal products meat and dairy, are acidic and a lot of alkaline foods need to be eaten to keep a balanced pH. An unbalanced pH leads to degenerative diseases. The best choice is just to stay off of animal products.

Question #Veg.28 What about mutated and misformed meat-based Proteins?

This discussion crosses several areas of expertise and is complex. One raw food scholar David Wolfe, MS in chemistry, pointed out in his book, Eating for Beauty, that plant-based proteins have a single helix bond and meat-based proteins have a double helix bond. Also in the book, Genetic Roulette The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods (2007), and learned that genetic engineering is a huge multi-billion dollar business and it has a strong influence in the government. It also has become a world-wide health issue, with documented health-risks causing deaths, illnesses, diseases, and genetic engineering creates wide-spread, unpredictable changes in the food chain. This well researched book points out that: Proteins expressed in a Genetically Modified plant may be processed differently and those changes, which could include misfolding or molecular attachments, can be harmful in unpredicted ways. According to the Centre for Integrated Research on Biosafety (INBI), ‘proteins derived from natural sources generally regarded as safe can be [toxic to cells] if allowed to re-fold under different conditions.’ Sometimes, refolding can result in groups of proteins aggregating into shapes with harmful consequences. INBI points out that certain aggregations of “proteins that have sustained mutations or have been misfolded” (amyloid fibrils) are involved in a variety of medical conditions such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.’” (Nature)

Furthermore, the mitochondrial damage is a known issue with Parkinson’s. A little known fact is that meat-based protein is different on the molecular level than plant-based protein. Meat-based protein has a double-helix bond whereas plant-based protein has a single-helix bond, making it more flexible, and it takes less energy to break down in the ATP cycle. Research into Parkinson’s disease finds that: ‘Mutated and misformed proteins tend to aggregate.’ (J Biol Chem) The Lewy bodies in the brains of Parkinson’s patients, the neurological problems in the brains of MS and the high levels of amyloid plaque found in Alzheimer’s in the brain are also directly related to high animal protein levels in the body. Explaining a little of the details will help. The Embden-Meyerhof glycolytic pathway and the Krebs’ Cycle both have as their starting point protein which breaks down to amino acids (and to glucose and ketones). This is the final pathway that all nutrient metabolites are involved in for energy production which involves the mitochondria. The studies on Parkinson’s have found that: ‘The concept that mitochondrial dysfunction can cause a Parkinsonian syndrome came into focus with the observation that MPTP induced PD in drug addicts. (Psychiatry Res; Science) Mitochondrial dysfunctions are now recognized to be the major cause of nigral degeneration in experimental models of PD and possibly even in idiopathic PD (J Neurochem; Bioessays).

So in other words, meat-based proteins, which are amino acids that have a double-helix bond, are considered abnormal proteins. Whereas, plant-based proteins which are single-helix bonds, are considered the ideal type of proteins for humans. This buildup of animal-based proteins not only causes inflammation, it also causes the growth of fungi and causes a buildup of excess protein-based substances that eventually could end up in the Lewy bodies and amyloid plaque found in the brain of MS, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. The Lewy Bodies and other deformed proteins in the brains of PD, MS and Alzheimer’s patients are animal-based proteins (double helix bonds) which are dead foods or misformed proteins and this could also be from genetic engineering. Plant-based proteins (single helix bonds) which are Living Foods do not mutate or become misformed proteins that aggregate. Live-Food diets have cured both PD and MS, (also for Alzheimer’s and ALS there is some evidence of cures) by replacing the misformed or distorted proteins with healthy plant-based proteins. In MRI’s the brain scar tissue also has been shown to clear up as part of the process of eating a raw vegan diet.

In addition, the pathogenic microorganisms that enter the body through meat-based diets end up in the gut and the liver and can end up in the brain, which is one of the reasons why there is protein aggregation in the brain such as with Lewy bodies. This is all a technical discussion but it gives a basic understanding of the mutated and misformed meat-based proteins.

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.29 What about the China Study on Animal Protein?

The retired professor emeritus of Nutritional Sciences, at Cornell University, Colin Campbell PhD, has a chapter on Osteoporosis in his nationally known book: The China Study, (2005) The world famous “China Study” was the longest and largest nutrition study ever done. “Americans consume more cow’s milk and its products per person than most populations in the world. So Americans should have wonderfully strong bones, right? Unfortunately not. A recent study showed that American women aged fifty and older have one of the highest rates of hip fractures in the world. (J. Gerontology) The only countries with higher rates are in Europe and in the south Pacific (Australia and New Zealand) (J. Gerontology) where they consume even more milk than the United States.

Furthermore, Dr. Campbell adds: “when women in America, such as those in the Nurses’ Health Study (Cancer Epi. Biom. Prev.) and the billion-dollar Women’s Health Trial,
(J. Natl. Cancer Inst.; Prev. Med.; Controlled Clin. Trials) reduce their fat intake, they do not do it by reducing their consumption of animal-based foods. Instead, they use low-fat and nonfat animal products, along with less fat during cooking and at the table. Thus, they are not adopting the diets that were shown, in the international correlation studies and in our rural China study, to be associated with low breast cancer rates. This is a very important discrepancy, and is illustrated by the correlation between the consumption of dietary animal protein and dietary fat for a group of countries. (Am. Journ. Clin. Nutr.; Int. J. Cancer; Cancer Epi. Biom. Prev.) The most reliable comparison was published in 1975; (Int. J. Cancer) it showed a highly convincing correlation of more than 90%. This means that as fat intake goes up in various countries, animal protein intake increases in an almost perfectly parallel manner. Likewise, in the China Study, the intakes of fat and animal protein also show a similar correlation of 84%.” (Diet, life-style and mortality in China. A study of the characteristics of 65 Chinese counties. Oxford, UK; Ithaca, NY)

Dr. Campbell further notes: “When animal protein increases metabolic acid and draws calcium from the bones, the amount of calcium in the urine is increased. This effect has been established for over eighty years and has been studied in some detail since the 1970’s. Summaries of these studies were published in 1974, (Am. J. Clin. Nutr.) 1981 (J. Nutr.) and 1990. (J. Nutr.) Each of these summaries clearly shows that the amount of animal protein consumed by many of us on a daily basis is capable of causing substantial increases in urinary calcium. Doubling protein intake (mostly animal-based) from 35-78 g/day causes an alarming 50% increase in urinary calcium. (J. Nutr.) This effect occurs well within the range of protein intake that most of us consume; average American intake is around 70-100 g/day. Incidentally, a six-month study funded by the Atkins Center found that those people who adopted the Atkins Diet excreted 50% more calcium in their urine after six months on the diet.” (Am J. Med.)

“T. Colin Campbell, a Professor of Nutritional Sciences at Cornell University and the senior science advisor to the American Institute for Cancer Research, says there is ‘a strong correlation between dietary protein intake and cancer of the breast, prostate, pancreas and colon. The culprit in many of the most prevalent and deadly diseases of our time, according to this study, is none other than the very thing many of us have been taught to hold virtually sacred - animal protein. People who derive 70% of their protein from animal products have major health difficulties compared to people who derive just 5% of their protein from animal sources. They have 17 times the death rate from heart disease and the women are 5 times more likely to die of breast cancer. In conclusion, animal protein is at the core of many chronic diseases.” (Young, Robert, and Young, Shelly, Back to the House of Health,and Back to the House of Health II)

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.30 What about the Paleo Diet?

What about those who insist and demand on eating some meat? Then I would recommend the Paleo diet yet eat meat no more than three times a week.

The Paleo Diet is close to a raw vegan or Live-Food diet except for the inclusion of meat. This diet mimicks the diets of the hunter-gatherer ancestors with common everyday foods. Loren Cordain the creator of the diet states: “It is not crucial to exactly duplicate hunter-gather diets. This would be a next-to-impossible tasks in our twenty-first-century world, as many of those foods are no longer in existence, are commercially unavailable, or are simply unpalatable to our contemporary tastes and cultural biases.” (The Paleo Diet revised and The Paleo Diet Cookbook both by Loren Cordain, PhD)

The first major mistake he makes is that hunter-gathers did not eat supermarket foods but ate wild organic fruits, vegetables and grasses which according to David Wolf citing the literature, a raw food expert, are 10 to 20 times more nutritious.
His second basic mistake is he says you can eat all the lean meats, poultry, fish, seafoods you can consume. But studies of ancient people like the Jews in biblical times indicate they ate meat about once a week, or as one doctoral dissertation concluded 3 times a month. The Romans and wealthy who ate meat daily had the same degenerative diseases as today. And eating all the meat you want brings up the issues in questions 11 thru 29 mentioned here. Eating meat on a daily basis is definitely a bad thing as noted in the review of the literature mentioned in questions 11 through 29 for dangers and 1 through 42 for other reasons.
Third hunter-gathers ate raw meat, probably within an hour or so after killing the animal. Within an hour after an animal is killed its biochemistry starts to change to acidic and other negative properties (parasites, yeast, mold, fungus) which start to set in, even if frozen.

All the problems and dangers of a meat-based diet in questions 11 through 29 can be applied to the Paleo meat-based diet, it is no different than any other meat-based diet, especially if they are eating red meat and meat on a daily basis. Things already discussed like antibiotics, pathogenic microorganisms, bone loss, protein clogging the base membranes, heavy metal toxicity, and acidic levels will be high and other issues already discussed in ques. 11-29. Loren Cordain understands the problems with grains, dairy products, refined sugars, and processed foods but doesn’t seem to understand all the problems with meat and does not mention them!

All meat-based diets, no matter what the rest of the diet involves, they have the same problem and dangers mentioned in questions 11 through 29.

The thing that is different in the Paleo diet from other meat-based diets is that it cuts out: grains, dairy products, refined sugars, and processed foods and the emphasis to stick to this 85% or more of the time. That is a start in the right direction, but eating meat at every meal, especially the emphasis on red meat, should be reduced to no more than three times a week, that animal protein would be allowed. The reason for mentioning the Paleo is that it is a better option than most meat-based diets because of all it cuts out. Yet a Live-Food diet is still more advanced and healthier.

Fred Bisci, PhD a clinical nutritionists and nationally known raw fooder of over 40 years has a book, Your Healthy Journey, that is helpful here. He has an option for his intermediate eating lifestyle for those who feel they need meat. He only recommends eating fish, chicken and turkey and no more than three times a week every other day. His next stage of the advanced eating lifestyle eliminates animal products completely. This is especially true for those with degenerative diseases. His website: www.fredbisci4health.com

Even though the Paleo diet has some good suggestions, if you want to eat meat get Fred Bisci, PhD’s book, Your Healthy Journey and follow his suggestion for a meat-based diet. Eating a small amount of meat only three times a week, every other day is a very good suggestion.

Dr. Robert Young points out: “Eating meat can give us protein; however, along with this protein comes saturated fat and possible synthetic hormones, steroids, and antibiotics have been given to the animal. Also, pesticide chemicals can be in the meat from the grain fed to the animal to fatten it up. Along with all of this, morbid pathogenic bacteria loads from the fermentation of acids can be present in the animal tissues, before or at the time of slaughter.”

Many people are under the assumption that poultry is a completely different type of meat then beef, but not really. When it dies it goes through the same postmortem changes. The biophysical and biochemical changes that poultry muscle undergoes postmortem are, in general, the same as those reported for various mammalian species. The most apparent change, of course, is the stiffening of muscle as it passes into rigor mortis. The chemical changes that accompany this physical change are: 1) Disappearance of ATP; 2) the appearance of ammonia and inosinic acid; 3) the accumulation of lactic acid (This lowers the pH from above 7.0 to ultimate values of 5.7 to 5.9.). In red meats postmortem changes in pH vary according to the type of red meat, both the rate of pH decline and the depth of decline vary from a slow gradual decline in 24 hours to a rapid decline of 30 to 90 minutes. The pH falls from about 6.7 and 7.0 to 5.0 to 6.0. The paler the meat the more the pH drops. The color changes from a darker to a pale meat and the muscle stiffens. As the pH is declining the proteins denature. The muscle of fish is different from that of mammals and birds. “The lowest postmorten pH which is reached in many species of food fish is in the range of about 6.2 to 6.6; but in some species, such as halibut, tuna, mackerel, and shark, it many fall to between 5.5 to 6.0.”

posted Hide Post
Question #Veg.31 What about the Kosher Diet?

A fascinating study by a researcher, Dr. David Macht of Johns Hopkins University, looked at Leviticus XI and Deuteronomy XIV. He did a study in which he reported the toxic effects of animal flesh on a controlled growth culture. A substance was classified as toxic if it slowed the culture’s growth rate below 75 percent. In each case, the blood, of all the animals Dr. Macht tested showed up more toxic than the flesh.” (Bulletin of Historical Medicine, Johns Hopkins University)

His results show that the lower the growth percentage of the culture, the more toxic the flesh. Note that the flesh of animals and fish given to us by God for food are all nontoxic, but all forbidden animals lie in the toxic range.

Here we find that science has confirmed the Bible’s list of clean versus unclean animals! Apparently the Jews understood the biochemistry of toxicity 3,500 years ago, or perhaps God knew this and was warning the Jews for their health and safety! And the animals that are ‘clean’ are those that are vegetarians! It is the meat-eaters and scavengers (pigs, shrimp, and lobsters) that eat anything and everything that are unclean.

Basic science would indicate that animals that eat other animals would have higher toxic percentage then animals that ate leaves and grass. Animals store toxins and poisons in their fat cells and the more animals other animals eat the higher the toxin and poisons rate in their cells. The Jews were in line with basic biochemistry and toxicology!

This scientists was basically comparing those animals classified as kosher to those animals classified as non-kosher in the Bible. All those animals that are kosher or nontoxic were in the safe range for human consumption with low toxicity levels. But the non-kosher animals all had high toxicity levels that would be considered unsafe for human consumption. In other words, all forbidden animals in the bible lie in the toxic range. As it turned out the toxic animals are all meat eaters, while the non-toxic animals are vegetarians! This confirmed the biblical insight concerning meat consumption, when the people rebelled and wanted to eat meat.’ God wants people to eat a pure diet and when a person has a disease they need to go through a process of physiological purification to get the body back to its pure, natural, complete state of health and life.