Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Atkins Diet Login/Join

posted
See http://www.atkins.com/

My wife and I have been doing this for about six weeks now and we've found great benefit from it. The theory behind it is sound, considering that our physiology was wired for a hunter-gatherer diet, which was the norm until recently (evolutionary time). So we've gone low carbohydrate--only 20-30 grams a day--and have eaten rather well during the process: meats, cheeses, salads, and a wide variety of low carb products (including yummy snack bars).

The results: I've already lost 10 lbs. (need to lose about 20--clothes were not fitting) and she's lost a few as well. We feel more energy, sleep better, and a few aches and pains have disappeared.

There are implications here for spirituality as well. Prayer is still good, but the kundalini process seems much smoother. That's not supposed to be, as the Hindus recommend a more sattvic, begetarian diet (grains, fruits, etc.--I'm not eating any of that). I eat sausage, bacon, eggs, steaks, etc. with almost every meal. But there's just no denying the improvements here in terms of energy and the ability to concentrate.

All part of caring for this temple of the Holy Spirit, I say. Wink

Comments on diets and their relationship to health, prayer, spirituality?

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

I follow the blood type diet, which isn't too different from Atkins, with an emphasis on meat, in my case fish, and vegetables, with carbs at the low end of consumption. It makes sense K would benefit in this way, since increased carbs translates into increased blood sugar instability, which directly affects emotional stability. The Hindu recommendation re: vegetarianism seems more about karma than anything else, but also about increasing passion. Of course, if your not grounded, as most vegetarians tend to suffer, then K can be quite a rough ride.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wondering where one might find info on the blood type diet you alluded to, w.c.? I've never heard of that one.

I might add, here, that we are most funtunate in having the Brightspot for Health here in Wichita. Through the years, our family has been to the Center for allergy testing, and this has helped us to avoid food groups that are toxic to our biochemistry. I absolutely do believe in the importance of tending to one's biochemistry. One's attitude goes a long way toward helping or hindering physical health, for sure, but if we're not eating right--and maybe even eating very wrongly!--the consequences can be very significant. People who don't feel good physically don't usually do so well psychologically and spiritually, and vice versa, of course. All the levels of our being must be cared for appropriately.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

The source for the Blood Type diet is Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo, author of "Eat Right For Your Type." It seems a reasonable and balanced view. The naturopathic doctor I consult recommends it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post