Ad
ShalomPlace.com    Shalom Place Community    Shalom Place Discussion Groups  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Health and Wellness Issues    Risks of cholesterol lowering medications
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Risks of cholesterol lowering medications Login/Join

<w.c.>
posted

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite timely, as I've just taken my annual cholesterol test. Last year it was 202 and the Dr. wanted me to take some kind of me. I said I'd try to work it down using diet. We'll see what the result is soon.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
Phil:

Depending upon what your HDL and VLDL are, 202 could be good. The tendency among some doctors to regard total cholesterol alone, without these other factors, including C - reactive protein, is unfortunate and well-behind the research for understanding cholesterol's influence on health. In fact, there is some research indicating the dangers of too low a cholesterol count, some physicians now believing that under 180 can generate its own risks. But again, it seems to depend more on how the factors break down in the lab test. HDL above 50 is said to be protective for men, and a borderline or higher LDL with a low VLDL is supposed to be understood differently. C-Reactive protein is now thought to be an essential measure for heart disease risk, as it reflects the body's degree of inflammation.

Some natural substances that according to research lower total cholesterol and appear safe are:

Pantethine (not Pantothenic acid)

Policosonal

Both of these appear to raise HDL, lowering both LDL and total cholesterol.

posted Hide Post
The test results are in:

Total cholesterol = 220
HDL = 57
LDL = 147
Triglycerides = 79 (down from 185 two years ago)

LDL/HDL ratio is 2.7/1 and that's way better than the 4/1 ratio that's considered OK.

The Dr. advises a low-fat diet, which means hi-carb. I've been on a modified low-carb (around 100 per day, mostly whole foods, but lots of nuts and cheese). Maybe I should eat less cheese . . . and more policosonal? Wink

Posts: 7539 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<w.c.>
posted
You might look at Policosanol, or Pantethine. Each lowers total cholesterol by 15-25% per the research, while benefiting HDL, and lowering LDL up to 30%. Pantethine is especially effective for lowering triglycerides, but is more expensive. The recommended doses of Panthethine are 300mg 3x day, and 10mg once a day of Policosonal, which is less labor intensive and a bit cheaper; however, some research indicates Coenzyme Q10, about 30mg, should be taken with Policosonal, as it may deplete this important enzyme. Your HDL sounds very good. One other componet is VLDL, which is the rate at which LDL oxidizes. Turmeric should be taking care of that.

As I'm sure you're aware, be careful of high carb diets. Research shows this can actually lead to oxidation of LDL and increased insulin resistance. Fish oil is very important for maintaining fatty acid profiles, and turmeric should protect against any of its oxidation. You won't get much conversion of ALA to DHA from the Flax oil you are taking.

Consulting a naturopathic physician in your area might help.

posted Hide Post
I don't think my triglyceride level is high. Do you think that LDL/HDL ratio OK. The LDL is actually in the normal range, right?

For the past few months I've been taking a product called Ultra Concentrated Omega, by Country Life. Our health food store guru pointed it out. It's made from fish, flax and borage oils and has a good dose of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids. Good stuff! And I'm taking the Turmeric, as you advised.

posted Hide Post

Consulting a naturopathic physician in your area might help.

You ever consider going into that, w.c.? You sound like you've got a lot of knowledge and interest in that direction already? Just a thought.

<w.c.>
posted
Maybe do a google search under naturopathic medicine for optimal ratios. Triglycerides sound good . . . I was just references the benefits of Pantethine.

<w.c.>
posted
A year before going to graduate school, I considered studying Chinese medicine. But I've been a patient of same for so long that the way of thinking has become almost second hand. Not to be confused with the actual skills. But those willing to find a reputable practitioner and stick with it usually see results; it is often slower than allopathic medicine, but is restorative where the latter is often disease-promoting in its quick arrest of symptoms.

<w.c.>
posted
Here's Dr. Weil's website, and a link to articles:

http://search.drweil.com/searc...lesterol+LDL&x=5&y=6

<w.c.>
posted

<w.c.>
posted

posted Hide Post
That's pretty impressive. Thanks. I'm taking it! Smiler