Shalom Place Community
Reversing Type 2 Diabetes

This topic can be found at:
https://shalomplace.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/10210765/m/2754098148

06 August 2018, 02:26 PM
Derek
Reversing Type 2 Diabetes
In a previous thread on SP, I documented some results I got from a special diet back in 2013. Unfortunately, that diet wasn't sustainable, and I ended up on hypertension medication.

Then in January of 2018, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). By following a special diet for three months, my weight went down from 267 lbs to 238 lbs. My diabetes, as measured by fasting blood sugar and glycated hemoglobin (A1c), disappeared.

This morning, after seven months on the diet, my weight was down to 197 lbs, for a total loss of 70 lbs since the start of the year. Also, I am now off the two hypertension medications I was taking. I post this in the hope that it will encourage others who are suffering from obesity, hypertension, or diabetes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Derek,
07 August 2018, 12:35 PM
Tucker
Awesome video Derek! I am on a similar diet I just add a little fat to it. At least that is my goal. I am having a heck of a time getting totally off of sugars Smiler , but I am taking to raw vegetables like a duck to water and no gluten is not a problem for me. And I don't eat red meat at all and I don't miss it. Lots of raw Broccoli and Cauliflower, dandelion leaves and flowers, and I am now adding Malva neglecta, another common weed in my yard and garden. Most days for dinner I am eating vegetable stew with some chopped up chicken in it. For protean I also eat yogurt (that contains live probiotics), American cheese, eggs, nuts and fish (once in a while). I don't recommend my diet though because I gained weight on it when I quit smoking, but that might be because of the honey and peanut butter and the corn chips I use to eat. I am slowly cutting back on things and getting more in the line of your first diet with some fat in it.

So what raw leafy vegetables to you eat Derek?
Love, tucker
07 August 2018, 03:27 PM
Phil
Congratulations, Derek, and a good video.

There really is so much we can do to help ourselves stay healthy through diet and exercise, and for those who've let things drift too far, it's good to know that there are strategies such as what you describe that can bring things back into line.

I could stand to lose a few pounds, and so a diet of mostly protein and fresh vegetables is an attractive option.

It sounds like you've come to a place where maintaining health will be the order of the day. Will that call for different strategies, or will healthy eating get it done?
07 August 2018, 05:01 PM
Derek
Tucker — just the usual ones. Spinach, lettuce, bok choy, etc.

Phil — both books suggest this is not really a “diet,” more a “way of eating” or “way of life.” It doesn’t stop just because your biomarkers have returned to normal. You just keep on eating healthily.
07 August 2018, 07:12 PM
Phil
Fasting and all? That's more what I meant.
07 August 2018, 08:30 PM
Derek
There is one chapter on intermittent fasting in Dr. Jason Fung’s THE DIABETES CODE. As far as I can see, he thinks of intermittent fasting as a program of medical treatment, to be continued only until you are well again. He actually has a whole book on the subject of fasting, but I haven’t seen that one.

Derek Prince, when he talks about fasting (see his YouTube videos), often repeats that Jesus says, “WHEN you fast” and not “IF you fast” in Matthew 6:16 and 6:17. So that implies that fasting should be a regular part of life for all Christians anyway.
08 August 2018, 12:37 PM
Tucker
Derek, do you take probiotic bacteria to keep your intestinal track healthy? The bacteria are good bacteria that live on soluble vegetable fibers and they discourage the growth of bad bacteria by producing lactic acid as a part of their digestive cycle. And the lactic acid also keeps the blood stream from becoming acid from braking down proteins and fats. One does not need to take probiotics every day like they would like one to, if one feeds the ones that are already in their intestinal track. But taking them every once in a while is helpful.

Love, tucker
08 August 2018, 02:26 PM
Derek
Hi, Tucker,

The diet itself has solved the problem I wanted to solve, so I don't take any supplements or the like.

Derek.
08 August 2018, 11:13 PM
Mary Sue
Congratulations Derek

This is wonderful
09 August 2018, 10:00 AM
Derek
Thank you, Mary Sue. I hope that in some small way it will encourage others who have the same diagnosis.